MMA as it's own style?

kimbo slice comes to mind. he had never trained a single individual martial art before joining an MMA gym upon entry into the UFC.

He didn't train in boxing before mma? <Eek2.0> IIRC, he became famous from that street boxing stuff?

The base arts that went into creating karate were at the time were and are still widely practiced and trained...you're making up excuses that make no logical sense to support your belief
Styles such as what?
So your saying Okinawan Karate didn't exist before?

Mixed martial arts can't be its own style as there's a endless amount of martial arts to mix. Wing Chun, kung fu and escrima is mixed martial arts.

If we're going to use the word mma to describe cage fighting, then yes cage fighting has become its own style, which is basically a combination of the martial arts typically used, everyone is already aware of.

Take into consideration how MT has grown in popularity but no one wants MT. They want MT for mma.

So yeah its become it's own thing. Who knew the I train UFC bros were right all along

He didn't train in boxing before mma? <Eek2.0> IIRC, he became famous from that street boxing stuff?
I don't believe he had any training. He got famous from street fighting videos, but no training previous to that as far as I'm aware.

Styles such as what?
So your saying Okinawan Karate didn't exist before?
Technically karate didn't exist before the 20th century.
Te/Ti was karate's predecessor, and before that like I said was the base art of folk wrestling now known as tegumi. Adding Kung fu, and muay boran to tegumi evolved a new mixed martial art called Te/Ti, which eventually evolved into karate and included kicks from savate.

Karate is about as mixed of a martial art as you can get I terms of techniques incorporated over time, as well as origins of said techniques.

Mixed martial arts can't be its own style as there's a endless amount of martial arts to mix. Wing Chun, kung fu and escrima is mixed martial arts.

If we're going to use the word mma to describe cage fighting, then yes cage fighting has become its own style, which is basically a combination of the martial arts typically used, everyone is already aware of.

Take into consideration how MT has grown in popularity but no one wants MT. They want MT for mma.

So yeah its become it's own thing. Who knew the I train UFC bros were right all along

Yeah, to say MMA will be a style is a total contradiction.

But Cagefighting is sort of a thing, like Tank Abbot was originally called a PitFghter.

Specific cage strategies like walln'stall or cage clinch and strike, and the adaptation of the main systems to use in the cage.

So it may be we have a style called CageFighting in future, people do call themselves Freestyle fighters often but it's also just easier than introducing a fighter saying "This fighter is a Kickboxer and Brazilian Jiu Jitsu expert with elements of Sambo, Freestyle and Muay Thai. He also mastered Flipinio trapping."

Back