Mma Sparring

biscuitsbrah

Amateur Fighter
@Gold
Reaction score
Did a couple rounds with an old training partner. He’s out of shape and doesn’t really train anymore and I’ve been lifting heavy so I’m not in good shape either. So we both don’t put a lot of power in our strikes cuz we would gas lol.

Felt kind of rusty in the striking but was feeling more comfortable towards the end of the second. Anyways I didn’t get to watch the videos yet so here it is. Let me know what you guys think. Oh yeah for those who don’t know I’m in the blue shorts. Thanks!

Big glove hard mma sparring

Small glove movement

Last edited:
Looking like a pro.

Hard to tell as I’m not sure how good a wrestler he is but some of the ‘high stance’ almost Judo style takedowns you did on him were looking like money in the bank.

Some technical things I noticed;

You threw some curving knee strikes at 0:30 with your toes pointing to the wall. I’ve always been told the toes should be pointing at the floor when doing a knee strike and I can think I can feel more power in it like that when I do it on the heavy bag.

Your left roundhouse, left knee is looking sharp from the orthodox stance. From the southpaw stance I think you could get your hips into it for more power, even if you are pulling the power for sparring. Dexter posted a sport science article on this forum a while back that argued if you practise on the opposite side stance it will make your main side stance better, it didn’t look like you were comfortable enough in the southpaw stance to use it in a fight yet though.

@Stuart0502 Thanks for the reply!
I have to remember to point the toes downward. Good to keep in mind.
Yeah my southpaw needs a lot of work. The roundhouse and shot selection just aren’t there. It’s gonna take a long time but I’ll def keep working it. I really do appreciate the pointers!

Love it dude! Nice trip at 1:32. Loved seeing the fakes and feints, really decent training. No point going much harder than that even if you wouldn't gas, just up the tempo. Lolled at "Don't look at the time!" :D

Back