MMA takedowns as a southpaw?

GoatArtemLobov

Brown Belt
@Brown
Reaction score
For which takedowns should I go when I switch to southpaw?
Everyone keeps telling me it's the exact same thing as in the orthodox stance (as everyone says for striking, but actually it's NOT) but the doubles aren't there, the setups aren't the same etc.
I have no deep wrestling knowledge so could anyone give me two or three go to setups and takedowns so I have some wrestling offense to threaten my opponent with when I fight from the southpaw stance?

Last edited:
Needs more specificity; is this a case where you are leading with your right, versing someone leading with their left - ie, a mirrored stance matchup? In such cases, knee taps become much closer, attacking with overhand lefts and continuing the momentum through the opponent being a classic combination. Underhook throwbys, slidebys, and duckunders also feature big

Last edited:
Needs more specificity; is this a case where you are leading with your right, versing someone leading with their left - ie, a mirrored stance matchup? In such cases, knee taps become much closer, attacking with overhand lefts and parlaying the momentum being a classic combination. Underhook throwbys, slidebys, and duckunders also feature big

Yes, it's a mirrored stance matchup.
Ok kneetaps, gonna work on this.
What about single legs also?

Singles yes. In general if you can get in on a leg take it.

Also if you’re feeling really wild you could throw in a Kani-basami since you’re kind of already in position vs orthodox. This probably won’t make you too popular with training partners though.

Yes, it's a mirrored stance matchup.
Ok kneetaps, gonna work on this.
What about single legs also?

Snatching a single leg is a good set up for pulling the opponent into a double or bodylock or go-behind and finishing, yes.

I mentioned the underhook as well since attacking underhooks become even stronger in mirrored stances, since both lead sides are coming together. That's why wrestlers big on the underhook often attack with their lefts - since in grappling most folks lead with their rights.

I think you need to focus on lengthening your arms first, Artem.

It's hard to reach for any kind of takedown with those stumps, and it's also nice to have the ability to lock your arms round things when trying to hit a takedown.

For which takedowns should I go when I switch to southpaw?
Everyone keeps telling me it's the exact same thing as in the orthodox stance (as everyone says for striking, but actually it's NOT) but the doubles aren't there, the setups aren't the same etc.
I have no deep wrestling knowledge so could anyone give me two or three go to setups and takedowns so I have some wrestling offense to threaten my opponent with when I fight from the southpaw stance?

Just get a feel for single leg, ankle pick, and knee tap from that side.

If they step their right foot forward to you with a cross, the lead leg osoto gari is there. You can also set that up by calf kicking the lead leg in southpaw vs orthodox and then hit that o soto gari when they hide their left leg.

Just get a feel for single leg, ankle pick, and knee tap from that side.

If they step their right foot forward to you with a cross, the lead leg osoto gari is there. You can also set that up by calf kicking the lead leg in southpaw vs orthodox and then hit that o soto gari when they hide their left leg.

Yeah that reminds me; when the lead sides are mirrored, advancing foot sweeps become closer too. This is also often attacked from an underhook.

Single legs. You can also hit doubles but it takes a little bit of footwork and movement

Yeah that reminds me; when the lead sides are mirrored, advancing foot sweeps become closer too. This is also often attacked from an underhook.

Yes, in orthodox vs orthodox or south vs south the lead foot sweep and lead leg o soto gari are money. The upright stances of mma help too, there's been a lot of nice clean lead leg o soto's over the years in ufc.

Singles are usually the easier option but I personally favor doubles as a southpaw. Chael had a really good double as a southpaw so he may be worth checking out

Back