Money Mayweather vs Tommy Hearns

Verint

Venum Red
@White
Reaction score
I specified Money Mayweather because I think Pretty Boy Floyd, despite the increased punching power and speed, was too small to be competitive with Hearns.

The Floyd that beat Canelo's ass vs the Hearns that sent Duran to space.

Fight takes place @ 147

I've got Hearns via 7th rd TKO

Last edited:
Hearns, but I’m too biased to make a rational judgement in this fight

I always thought Hearns was one of the worst fantasy matchups for Floyd I could think of. Hearns was sort of a total package, he could box and punch. He knew how to pick apart a slickster.

Floyd always found a way to win but I struggle to imagine what his game plan would be in that one.

I always thought Hearns was one of the worst fantasy matchups for Floyd I could think of. Hearns was sort of a total package, he could box and punch. He knew how to pick apart a slickster.

Floyd always found a way to win but I struggle to imagine what his game plan would be in that one.
I've always thought he'd have to take the SRL approach and try to get in the pocket/inside and try to outfight Tommy. I think Floyd could touch his chin but it wouldn't be easy. I agree terrible match up for him overall.

Leonard described fighting that version of Hearns as "the closest thing to death" he had experienced in a boxing ring.

Leonard was bigger and faster than Money Mayweather in my opinion.

I find it hard to believe Mayweather would make it to a decision given his physical disadvantages.

I agree, Hearns was so complete. When he was on, he was unstoppable. He outboxed the people who were supposed to be able to outbox him, he could switch it up seamlessly and take back over when his elite opponents try plan B. His chin is about the only thing you could question.

Leonard described fighting that version of Hearns as "the closest thing to death" he had experienced in a boxing ring.

Leonard was bigger and faster than Money Mayweather in my opinion.

I find it hard to believe Mayweather would make it to a decision given his physical disadvantages.

I think Mayweather would get on his bicycle and be unable to get off.

I can’t decide if he’d make it to a decision or not, but if he does go the distance, it’ll be because he abandoned any hope of winning. He can’t do what Leonard did. He doesn’t have the firepower first of all and we haven’t really seen Floyd go through a gut check like that.

Very bad matchup for Floyd. He can’t rely on his usual reach advantage. Won’t be able to pot shot and move away from a rangy, mobile guy like Hearns.

I don’t think he has the power to hurt Tommy.

Hearns would be the first boxer to stop Floyd. Floyd has nothing for Hearns other than great defence but that will only take him so far.

Kenny would be giving Floyd the Khan treatment.

stream_img.jpg

Don’t like that fight for Floyd. The power he had at lightweight didn’t really follow him up into 147 and 154. I think Floyd would have to hurt Hearns and make him respect his power to mount any kind of an effective game plan. I suppose Hearns could punch him self out but it wouldn’t take more than a couple clean shots for Floyd to find himself in serious trouble. Don’t see Hearns giving Floyd any time or space to recover the way Shane did.

I give it to Hearns in a UD 6 maybe 7/10 times. Tommy was 23 when he moved up to 154, yes the power and speed were there but he wasn't even in the same league IQ/experience wise and that's saying a lot for a guy who didn't necessarily show the best tactical decisions even in his later career. It's an uphill battle for Floyd but his game runs so deep that I think he can make enough adjustments to give Hearns problems and see the final bell and make it competitive at points. I struggle to see him getting stopped.

Hearns with his reach and long jab would just be too much for Floyd to get the decision. Hearns jab would throw out Floyd's shoulder role and rhythm which will prevent him getting rounds in the bank. Neither guy is getting finished and it'll go to decision.

Floyd wouldxage him out. No chance May would fight Leonard or Hearns. The 80s truly was the best years of boxing ..... JCC Hearns Durran SRL Tyson Holmes Hagler Pryor ...... others. Be great if we get another era like that all around

I think this is probably the worst matchup for Floyd at 147.

People talk about Ray Leonard and Duran beating Mayweather at 147, and I just don't see that at all.

But Tommy with his boxing skills, length and power I think would have a great chance. I don't think he'd KO Floyd, but I think he could win a closely contested decision.

But in the end I would probably go with Floyd UD, simply because Tommy at 147 was not as experienced and didn't have the ring IQ that Floyd did. Floyd was obviously much older and wiser at 147.

I don't think there's any fighter from history you could say would definitely beat Floyd, as I think he is one of the best ever and always found a way to win. But Hearns is on this small list of fighters I believe would have the best shot.

Back