Money Mayweather vs Tommy Hearns

Floyd by decision

It would be the toughest challenge of his career, but I am convinced that his lizard brain would find a way to shapeshift and adapt

Would never happen. The Mayweathers are too smart to take that fight.

Floyd wouldxage him out. No chance May would fight Leonard or Hearns. The 80s truly was the best years of boxing ..... JCC Hearns Durran SRL Tyson Holmes Hagler Pryor ...... others. Be great if we get another era like that all around
The 90s were pretty damn good too, especially around these weight classes. Thank God for YouTube, where I can watch all the fights I missed back then, and of course rewatch lots of fights too. So much high level, beautiful boxing. We didn't know how good we had it.

Not a matchup Floyd can win. He has the skill to get close to Tommy at some point but lacks the power to hurt him. He gets outpointed rather clearly.

The 90s were pretty damn good too, especially around these weight classes. Thank God for YouTube, where I can watch all the fights I missed back then, and of course rewatch lots of fights too. So much high level, beautiful boxing. We didn't know how good we had it.
90s didnt suck but 80s were just un real. Across the board its was greatest in boxing 70s is second. 90s third

90s didnt suck but 80s were just un real. Across the board its was greatest in boxing 70s is second. 90s third

Yet everybody STILL talked about how much boxing sucked during the 80s and 90s.

Thats one fantasy matchup that I would love to see. It would be very interesting for sure!!!. Don't agree at all with people saying Hearns would "definitely" win, there is no definite about it, can't use that word with Floyd at the other end of the sentence. It would be a interesting fight and super intriguing, lets just say that. Hearns power was amazing for his weight classes, but he would have to be able to land flush, Floyd is so special and very crafty, could see Hearns punching the air and Floyd winning a decision.

Leonard described fighting that version of Hearns as "the closest thing to death" he had experienced in a boxing ring.

Leonard was bigger and faster than Money Mayweather in my opinion.

I find it hard to believe Mayweather would make it to a decision given his physical disadvantages.
Problem there is that its tough to argue why Floyd wouldn't make it to the end. He always did and never even really came close to being stopped.

I favor Hearns myself but in sort of a stinker like his fight with Benitez. I guess I agree with whoever it was that said Floyd would have to get inside on him. It worked for Ray. Didn't work so well for Duran but Floyd is a better boxer than Duran.

Yet everybody STILL talked about how much boxing sucked during the 80s and 90s.
Who says this?

2 top 10 ever HW in Tyson n Holmes along with the start of Holyfield.

Start of RJJ

A top 1 TO 3 MW in Hagler
Ww .... was insane Durran,Hearns, SRL N more
LW the prime of lw goat JCC

start of 80s still has Pryor an Alexis

Boom Boom.

Anyone that says 80s sucked hate boxing an has agenda

Who says this?

2 top 10 ever HW in Tyson n Holmes along with the start of Holyfield.

Start of RJJ

A top 1 TO 3 MW in Hagler
Ww .... was insane Durran,Hearns, SRL N more
LW the prime of lw goat JCC

start of 80s still has Pryor an Alexis

Boom Boom.

Anyone that says 80s sucked hate boxing an has agenda

eh, of course their were standout fights but look at Pryor for example. Who did he fight in that decade besides Arguello? Most people would struggle to even name another JWW from the era.

eh, of course their were standout fights but look at Pryor for example. Who did he fight in that decade besides Arguello? Most people would struggle to even name another JWW from the era.
Across the board 80s were 0ne of if not best in boxing. .

140 was extremely thin back then

Across the board 80s were 0ne of if not best in boxing. .
Across the board? Nah.
Most people say the HW division was a mess until the 90s.
Who was there at 140 aside from Pryor?

The superfights we got in the era were among the best but some weight classes were a little stale.

Styles make fights.

At a comparable weight I can even see Floyd beating Leonard and Hagler ........ but I think Hearn's height and stats would be too much on the exchanges for Floyd.

Styles make fights.

At a comparable weight I can even see Floyd beating Leonard and Hagler ........ but I think Hearn's height and stats would be too much on the exchanges for Floyd.
floyd beats hagler at mw?

floyd beats hagler at mw?

No I said a comparable weight so if they meet inbetween.

Its not a given by any means and at MW Hagler should be too strong but Haglers got the slowest attack out of that old Fantastic Four and Floyd could dodge those relatively easily.

If he can dodge punches by WW's he can dodge a MW's.

Mayweather doesn't have the teeth to be aggressive go after Hearns who is a quick and rangy. Mayweather takes what he can get when he fights aggressively and often only does so to win rounds. This is more true at 147 than at 135 or 140, and the 147 pounder Hearns from 1981 has brutal skills, speed, and power. Mayweather also counterpunches by using his reach and doing that pull counter. He can't do that as effectively trying to chase Hearns back with a right hand off Tommy's jab - he would simply be out of range. He would have to step in, leaving him open to a right hand, especially if Tommy feints a lot with his left. If Tommy can't be worn down physically, by someone else setting the pace, or by crunching power, then he will still be there after 12 rounds. Mayweather never jacks up the pace. Let's say this is a 12 rounder since Floyd has never proven himself in 15. If that is the case, Tommy's stamina is less of a concern.

Tommy wins

Head to head, I think Hearns would be too much. On an ATG list, obviously Floyd. We have to keep in mind that Floyd really topped out his size as a welterweight (even though he fought at JMW) while Hearns was a giant at welterweight that ended up a cruiserweight. They are entirely different sized people.

Back