More Playstation Games Coming to PC

I wanted to play Demons Souls but I’m kind of over it now. Nioh 2 came out on PC and it’s the best one of those style games to date
I'd still highly recommend it if you can find the original in a bargain bin or something but yeah it's pretty dated especially since you can basically only dodge roll six directions , but had some of the best areas in a souls game to date . Even then though maybe it'd be better to just wait to play the remaster which looks amazing . Nioh has always looked awesome to me I've watched my brother play it but it's stance switching system is pretty intimidating lol . Super sick art direction too though .

I'd still highly recommend it if you can find the original in a bargain bin or something but yeah it's pretty dated especially since you can basically only dodge roll six directions , but had some of the best areas in a souls game to date . Even then though maybe it'd be better to just wait to play the remaster which looks amazing . Nioh has always looked awesome to me I've watched my brother play it but it's stance switching system is pretty intimidating lol . Super sick art direction too though .
I played Demons back in the day. I loved it at the time and I’m sure it looks beautiful in the remaster. I know it’s not as good as Nioh is though. Nioh does take some practice for sure though it’s a pretty intricate game

So console gamin companies finally recognised that PC players are not willing to jump the ship and buy consoles to play exclusives.

Let me tell you this, I had my teeth sharpened on a lot of console exclusive games in the past but today I couldn't be bothered even if they were offered free.

So console gamin companies finally recognised that PC players are not willing to jump the ship and buy consoles to play exclusives.

Let me tell you this, I had my teeth sharpened on a lot of console exclusive games in the past but today I couldn't be bothered even if they were offered free.
Consoles really have become largely pointless. PC functionality in 2021 is so simple, so good, so versatile, so stable, and the modes of delivery so convenient, with such an overwhelming advantage in the software marketplace in terms of price and choice...there almost isn't a single selling point for the consoles left.

Consoles really have become largely pointless. PC functionality in 2021 is so simple, so good, so versatile, so stable, and the modes of delivery so convenient, with such an overwhelming advantage in the software marketplace in terms of price and choice...there almost isn't a single selling point for the consoles left.

Microsoft had the right idea at the start of last generation by making their console center of the home entertainment center. With how fast smart TV's came to market that method wouldnt have stood.

Only thing i see left is them partnering with cable providers replacing the cable box.

I didn't see a reason to go back when I made the switch back in 2013. I suspect the case was true well before 2013 as well. It was a no-brainer for me, especially with all the creepy stuff Msoft was planning to do with their next Xbox.

Like 90% of the games I wanted to play on pc that were on consoles only have made their ways to pc. Still want God of War, Ghost of Tsushima, etc, but for the most part PC is covered, along with the massive amount of games exclusive to pc, or ones that perform at far higher capability on pc.

Just to play devil's advocate... we're almost at the point where consoles can guarantee 1080p60. That's very good performance for 500 bucks.

2021? They always were more functional than consoles.
No. I'm talking about the big picture: where functionality meets simplicity. It wasn't one thing. It was decades of the single greatest concerted human engineering endeavor that has taken place during my lifetime. Consoles made sense when simplicity was required for a specific mode of entertainment, and the ability to engage with it. A tech-savvy guy willing to pour in 10 hours of his time setting up and troubleshooting one additional tool or feature to his system was never going to dominate the market. It had to all come together:

• The stability of the software on the OS, aided by constant patches, and including for retro games that ran on older versions of Windows, or even DOS, where things like CPU cycles had to be considered just so the game ran at a framerate/speed where a human can comprehend it. Even look at more obscure stuff like emulation. It's so simple to set up, and so stable. Almost all systems have cycle-accurate emulation today. This wasn't the case a mere decade ago, much less two.

• The stability of drivers running the hardware, aided by constant patches, and including peripheral hardware-- mice, headsets w/mics, controllers, steering wheels, joysticks, etc. There are thouands of devices. We take it for granted how seamlessly they all work together with so little effort, now. Just think about how many offices over the years have been brought to their knees for days by a stupid printer.
  • For manual controls, I'm also talking about convenient in-game settings panels where you can bind things like the buttons on a dual-analog controller if you want to play that way, which is something the developers themselves have to take seriously enough to accommodate (because playing with controllers is still a big deal to a lot of people, and for certain game types). External software like SixAxis can handle this stuff, but it isn't without issues. Today, Microsoft's controllers natively connect to Windows via Bluetooth. Take a moment to appreciate that. With DualShock all you need for initial setup is a cord that everyone already has for their phones.
  • Then, software from companies like NVIDIA and AMD have also made updating GPU drivers a breeze. It's really evolved. The same is true for Asus, Gigabyte, and MSI with their motherboards. Freaking BIOS's have more refined UIs than operating systems did 30 years ago. Tuning whatever you want is usually immediately intuitive.
  • Oh, and how about DirectX being free? Yeah, that wasn't always a thing. It was hard enough to get people to understand they needed software to run software, but then you had to sell it to them. Windows will install everything automatically for you that you need to run a game if you don't have it. It didn't always do that. It was a nightmare.

• For that matter, the hardware itself. Consider how awesome most headsets are today compared to the limited amount of garbage 20 years ago. The headsets, the mice, stuff like XInput controllers, or even all the USB-corded retro controllers that are accommodated by that emulation software I mentioned above. Look at how far liquid cooling has come. Look at the feature sets in GPUs. No-fan modes are being included at the reference level. You have Freesync and G-sync. Compare how well-built and affordable so many of the gaming computers are today versus 20 years ago. A potato laptop can run almost any MMO more smoothly than an (inflation-corrected) $1200 PC could run WoW when it launched.

• Driver stability for displays including TVs, aided by constant patches, and a simplicity of compatibility for all the cords that connect them: video and sound. HDMI wasn't always a standard, and it's been a game-changer. People don't have to fuss. It's simple. Also, TVs didn't always play so nicely with PCs, and weren't particularly well-equipped for gaming at all. There's almost no meaningful difference between them and the monitors we use today besides a TV tuning antennae.

• Online PC marketplaces and the amazing functionality of their launchers. They maintain all your game data in the cloud: progress, achievements, etc. They manage friends lists. They have coupons, sales, and exquisite UIs for browsing more games. They manage chat. They take screenshots and share it. They integrate with your email, your social media, and sometimes even with each other. If you don't like these things, third party software like Discord has become incredibly refined. Remember the days of Ventrilo? Early Skype? And at the time we thought those were mind-blowing. This wasn't that long ago.

• Modding. Remember how complicated, fickle, or at a minimum laborious modding used to be? Between Steam Workshop, Vortex, and Epic's community mod-tool I can hardly believe I ever put up with that crap.

• Twitch, YouTube, and Google. On the occasion you do have to troubleshoot, or aren't sure what to do with a game, you have these. This didn't exist when I was a kid. Not understanding the simplest thing, something that takes dragging one file to another folder, or clicking one box, could break your ability to play a game. It could take hours to figure it out if you figured it out at all. Then you have the gaming press. PC Mag, DSO Gaming, Game Debate, LinusTechTips, GamersNexus, Hardware Unboxed. They make all this stuff accessible now.

It took so many things coming together: internet, server centers, hardware, firmware, OS software, APIs, hardware seller software, game seller software, engine software, game software, third-party software, emulation software, game ports. It's been decades in the making. Rome wasn't built in a day.

But it's been built, and the consoles are pretty redundant, now.

Microsoft had the right idea at the start of last generation by making their console center of the home entertainment center. With how fast smart TV's came to market that method wouldnt have stood.

Only thing i see left is them partnering with cable providers replacing the cable box.
I don't understand this at all. They infamously blew their launch, and as the second part of your sentence points out, that strategy was a dead-end because it became redundant within the lifespan of the console.

Of course there's opportunity. The PC's days are numbered, too. The Cloud is going to devour it the way smart TVs devoured HTPCs, and streaming services devoured network and cable television (sports the latter's final stronghold). Timing is everything. They just have to get it right when it's ready.

Just to play devil's advocate... we're almost at the point where consoles can guarantee 1080p60. That's very good performance for 500 bucks.
  1. $$: high-end gaming at the lowest price point & leading bang-for-your-buck (though this is temporary, and they'll lose it before the console generation expires)
  2. Still the strongest AAA exclusives culture
  3. Less cheating in competitive multiplayer
  4. Still the simplest systems to operate

Of course there's opportunity. The PC's days are numbered, too. The Cloud is going to devour it the way smart TVs devoured HTPCs,

Hardware costs, network speed limitations, latency and amount of needed server farms. Likelihood of this occurring in our lifetime is improbable.

I don't get much better than that with my gaming PC now (i5 7600k and GTX 1070) and it cost a lot more than $500. I think there's a big market for consoles that can consistently deliver 60fps at a decent resolution.

I don't get much better than that with my gaming PC now (i5 7600k and GTX 1070) and it cost a lot more than $500. I think there's a big market for consoles that can consistently deliver 60fps at a decent resolution.
Sony’s first parties like Demon’s are hitting 1440p at 60 FPS. The Spider-Man and Miles Morales PS5 releases are getting 1440p/60 with ray tracing.

Sony’s first parties like Demon’s are hitting 1440p at 60 FPS. The Spider-Man and Miles Morales PS5 releases are getting 1440p/60 with ray tracing.
See, that's pretty enticing. This topic dawned on me recently because I've been looking to upgrade my PC but can't with the parts shortages. I might only have one more upgrade cycle before consoles start to look like the better value proposition, especially with haptic feedback in the controller and whatever else they come up with next.

1. $$: high-end gaming at the lowest price point & leading bang-for-your-buck (though this is temporary, and they'll lose it before the console generation)
  2. Still the strongest AAA exclusives culture
  3. Less cheating in competitive multiplayer
  4. Still the simplest systems to operate
Good list.

I'd add, if I may, two things, second of which could possibly be collapsed into above if wanting to spin this as anti-console as possible.

First is an alternative to the very medium of PC, which can be a source of burnout or jadedness if wanting when off work/out of office to have the option, ultimately lending themselves (consoles) to a readier get-away tool to decompress. Second is one of, to say, a one-roof experience. A dedicated gt + profile across all titles, user-defined communities, trophy-hunting culture (beloved and huge in PS-sphere) with comparison metrics, friend or top-player updates + broadcasts to include WTF/cool-moment screengrabs, music of choice played during last grind et cetera. All this is within a couple clicks and housed inside a fun, customisable interface. It comes to feel when logging in like one enters a home, as it were.

Just some thoughts from me.

See, that's pretty enticing. This topic dawned on me recently because I've been looking to upgrade my PC but can't with the parts shortages. I might only have one more upgrade cycle before consoles start to look like the better value proposition, especially with haptic feedback in the controller and whatever else they come up with next.
I think all PS5 and XBSX games run at 60 FPS.

I think all PS5 and XBSX games run at 60 FPS.
And you can buy both consoles for less than a gaming PC.

I think I might just sit on my current set up for a while and wait for hardware markets to normalize before deciding what to do next.

Back