Most felt recoil

Woldog

SherGOAT
Professional Fighter
Reaction score
In common rifle rounds, what in your mind had the most felt recoil? Obviously things like what the buttstock was and how heavy the rifle was come into play, but I wanna hear your stories that made you go "oooh that was not nice".
For me I've been terrified of .308 ever since I fired a Mauser .308 that had a brass butt plate when I was about 14 years old. Was firing off a bench and that thing felt like it shattered my shoulder. I'm still scared of .308's despite firing them quite a few times since, shooting pigs with them and firing larger calibers.
Childhood trauma can still get you as an adult lmao.

Easy, this thing in 45-70
marlin-1895-MARLN-GEAYSTHM.jpg

Offhand its tolerable. But wedged into the side of my truckbed, taking the full brunt on top my collarbone. Fucksake. Took 10 months for my shoulder to recover.

Shot a hog and 20 rounds total through it.

Anyone who comes to visit is welcome to shoot it from here on out. I'm good.

Easy, this thing in 45-70
marlin-1895-MARLN-GEAYSTHM.jpg

Offhand its tolerable. But wedged into the side of my truckbed, taking the full brunt on top my collarbone. Fucksake. Took 10 months for my shoulder to recover.

Shot a hog and 20 rounds total through it.

Anyone who comes to visit is welcome to shoot it from here on out. I'm good.
And @RerouteToRemain wants me to get a 45-70
<34><{hfved}>

For me, it was a 1oz, 12ga slug through a single-barrel, break-action where my buddy lightened the stock by drilling holes in it. He was a dick like that; he'd buy certain guns for the sole purpose of getting his buddies to shoot them and suffer through recoil.

For me, it was a 1oz, 12ga slug through a single-barrel, break-action where my buddy lightened the stock by drilling holes in it. He was a dick like that; he'd buy certain guns for the sole purpose of getting his buddies to shoot them and suffer through recoil.
The .44 mag I'm picking up in the next week or two has a hollow stock. I'm tempted to put some lead in some expanding foam to give it some weight.

For me, in a handgun, .50AE Desert Eagle loaded with Hornady 300gr XTP. I still have the brass as a memento.

Other honorable mention was a small single shot 12 gauge. I'm not sure what load it was, but it was a 3" magnum, gray, "Turkey Load", 1 1/8 oz.

Probably the Mossberg shockwave.

I set my Mrs up like this, loaded up a single shot 12g with a 1 1/8 slug and let her rip. I also have this extremely light plastic stocked .410 thats looks like a toy and I give it to people that have never shot a gun before, a lot of the time it ends up flying out of there hands.

I set my Mrs up like this, loaded up a single shot 12g with a 1 1/8 slug and let her rip. I also have this extremely light plastic stocked .410 thats looks like a toy and I give it to people that have never shot a gun before, a lot of the time it ends up flying out of there hands.
Took the .44 Magnum out for a spin on Sunday, only fired once at a pig that was about 80m away. Recoil on the .44 mag is absolutely fuck all.

Don’t know if anyone here ever shot a 44 cal, but that thing kicks like a mule
I never shot it, but I watched someone else shoot it, and i still get whiplash
Edit, just saw that woldog shot a 44

Don’t know if anyone here ever shot a 44 cal, but that thing kicks like a mule
I never shot it, but I watched someone else shoot it, and i still get whiplash
Edit, just saw that woldog shot a 44
I just recently picked up a .44 Magnum rifle for my collection. It's recoil was nothing

HOWEVER in a pistol it is absolutely nuts.

I just recently picked up a .44 Magnum rifle for my collection. It's recoil was nothing

Bro, the size makes no sense
They look like they’re made for Andre the giant

I shot a 44 mag snub nosed revolver. I found it impossible to shoot without just bursting out into laughter everytime the hammer drops . It felt like what I’d imagine holding onto an M80 feels like, but you get to keep your fingers.

My boy and I went to the range yesterday to try out my Taurus Raging Hunter 6.75" barrel .454 Casull and TRH 5" .44 Magnum both of which I got around the beginning of the year and had not fired yet.

Woah, boy. That was some recoil. My palm was bruised before we got back to the house. It's pretty sore and tender today. But I cut and bruise pretty easily since I started dialysis over 3 years ago.

My heaviest recoiling rifle is a 30-06. When shooting over 200 grain ammo, it’s pretty hard on the shoulder.
My other rifles are 5.56 and 6.5 creedmoor. Those are pretty light shooting compared to the 30-06.

Back