most important punch to develop in mma

tekkenfan

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
most would agree in boxing the jab is by far the most important punch to learn

in mma though with 4 oz gloves it greatly changes striking even if we take out grappling and kicks looping shots connect much more dont have the bigger gloves for defense and smaller fist find their ways through holes i love to keep shots straight down the middle using crisp boxing but i cant deny that most knock outs happen from looping shots vs straight rights clean lead hooks ect

so im wondering if overhands or lead hooks are more important in success shogun for instance prob has the best overhand in mma iv seen he almost always lands the shot in some compacity

i not saying the jab is useless in mma it obviously is a great attack but i dont feel you can control distance with it as much as boxing especially if you do not have long reach i wonder if its just that mma striking defense hasnt quite evolved yet the way it should so i guess for now during this time in mma overhands and hooks

Interesting question, so many variables I’d find it hard to single one out.

A straight left is a huge weapon for a southpaw though.

I think the jab is a criminally underused punch in MMA & I'm constantly seeing fighters who neglect to use it make difficult fights out of those that could be easy for them if they just used it more often. It drives me crazy sometimes. And one doesn't have to have a longer reach in order to use the jab effectively as timing can often beat reach. One just has to look at some Volkanovski & Petr Yan fights as proof of this.

The hand that slots into your opponents open side is always a vital factor in match ups. If you are in closed stance matchups, that means your lead hand; if you are in open stance matchups, that means your rear hand.

Last edited:
Interesting question, so many variables I’d find it hard to single one out.

A straight left is a huge weapon for a southpaw though.
i find it is when you have long reach i like to look at stats for instance rncs are the most successful sub in ufc double legs are best takedown as far as punches go im sure overhands hooks would be the highest when comes to knocking someone down or landing flush thats why wrestlers catch so many people i feel

I think the jab is a criminally underused punch in MMA & I'm constantly seeing fighters who neglect to use it make difficult fights out of those that could be easy for them if they just used it more often. It drives me crazy sometimes. And one doesn't have to have a longer reach in order to use the jab effectively as timing can often beat reach. One just has to look at some Volkanovski & Petr Yan fights as proof of this.
i think in mma to have a sucessful jab you gotta have reach due to kicks u can control space with jabs the same way ud do in boxing tbh i say this as a boxer striking base gsp was very good with his jab due to having a 77 inch reach at 170 .

marcus davis is one of best boxers in ufc has insanely good technique watch himt rain. but he had no reach at all his jab wasnt that effective he had to over commit with his straight left to land on guys due to short arms

I would say it's The Jab.

I wish that MMA fighters would use the jab more often.

The sport of MMA is brand-new though.

The jab is the most important punch in literally any sport that includes punching.

I think this is kind of a stupid endeavor.
No offense meant, but it seems like this is step one in some MMA otaku’s attempt to create ‘the perfect style’ based on ‘science’.

Different punches will work differently for different people. For example, I’d be willing to bet lyoto and chinzo machida’s reverse punches and jabs are their most successful punches, even in MMA.

It will largely depend on the individual’s body type, the style the begin training in, and the trainer(s) they get, as well as their own creativity

Jab is really sweet but a fighter should also be able to technically and deliver/time a kind of non-arm punch (power punch) accurately and without inordinate effort or losing balance. Most of the effectiveness of a jab is not it's (sub-devastating) mechanics so much as knowing when to throw it and how to move around while doing it, and it's use is mostly as an awesome key for disrupting, setting up other finishing blows rather than being an end unto itself.

Everyone seems to develop their pet punch so it could be your lefthook or standard right usually. Few get equally awesome at both but might as well try, one will still become your favorite and most reliable finisher. Uppercuts are nice, if you can make that your money punch you will be a legend but almost no one does that because its agreed that it's the most tricky and difficult to master and make your style around for most boxers, even pros.

Jab is really sweet but a fighter should also be able to technically and deliver/time a kind of non-arm punch (power punch) accurately and without inordinate effort or losing balance. Most of the effectiveness of a jab is not it's (sub-devastating) mechanics so much as knowing when to throw it and how to move around while doing it, and it's use is mostly as an awesome key for disrupting, setting up other finishing blows rather than being an end unto itself.

Everyone seems to develop their pet punch so it could be your lefthook or standard right usually. Few get equally awesome at both but might as well try, one will still become your favorite and most reliable finisher. Uppercuts are nice, if you can make that your money punch you will be a legend but almost no one does that because its agreed that it's the most tricky and difficult to master and make your style around for most boxers, even pros.

It depends on how your'e built next to your opponent. It would make zero sense for Frazier to fight like Ali. The upside with heavy reliance on the jab is that you can stick and move.. that is to say punch without getting punched.. the downside is that it's not a powershot..

Young Foremans jab was a powershot though, and the best jab of all time, in all categories IMO.

I just saw that the topic was MMA.

Probably the hook or right hand.

most would agree in boxing the jab is by far the most important punch to learn

in mma though with 4 oz gloves it greatly changes striking even if we take out grappling and kicks looping shots connect much more dont have the bigger gloves for defense and smaller fist find their ways through holes i love to keep shots straight down the middle using crisp boxing but i cant deny that most knock outs happen from looping shots vs straight rights clean lead hooks ect

so im wondering if overhands or lead hooks are more important in success shogun for instance prob has the best overhand in mma iv seen he almost always lands the shot in some compacity

i not saying the jab is useless in mma it obviously is a great attack but i dont feel you can control distance with it as much as boxing especially if you do not have long reach i wonder if its just that mma striking defense hasnt quite evolved yet the way it should so i guess for now during this time in mma overhands and hooks
It does not change the jab, it it the number one foundation

It’s amazing how far Dan Henderson got with an iron chin and an overhand right.

It's still the jab. The jab is even more effective in 4 ounce gloves, look at Michael Biasping and Stipe Miocic shutting down Anderson Silva and Francis Ngannou respectively. 4 ounce gloves turn the jab from a technique that stuns a little bit when it hits you, to something that actively hurt and can close up eyes.

Elite strikers struggle with the perfect jab, the rest can be beaten with a good one

Back