most important punch to develop in mma

It’s amazing how far Dan Henderson got with an iron chin and an overhand right.

the fear of dans greco clinch also had alot t do with that throwing is overhand into over under double udners made guys fear it too

I think this is kind of a stupid endeavor.
No offense meant, but it seems like this is step one in some MMA otaku’s attempt to create ‘the perfect style’ based on ‘science’.

Different punches will work differently for different people. For example, I’d be willing to bet lyoto and chinzo machida’s reverse punches and jabs are their most successful punches, even in MMA.

It will largely depend on the individual’s body type, the style the begin training in, and the trainer(s) they get, as well as their own creativity
which i why is aid by % no shit diff attacks work dif for certain people depending on reach ect

as a pro i love to analyze the sport and look at stats and talk about it nothing wrong with that rather be knowledgeable than a un technical bum who just does to just bleed

I think the jab is a criminally underused punch in MMA & I'm constantly seeing fighters who neglect to use it make difficult fights out of those that could be easy for them if they just used it more often. It drives me crazy sometimes. And one doesn't have to have a longer reach in order to use the jab effectively as timing can often beat reach. One just has to look at some Volkanovski & Petr Yan fights as proof of this.
u say this but in bear knuckle boxing is the same and tons of good pro boxers fight in it i dont think today u can just say its just mma fighters not being technical as i feel with 4 oz gloves maybe changes the game greatly

As cliche as it sounds, the jab is always going to be king. In real time we have watched GOAT's in all combat sports have a beautiful jab. Floyd (boxing), Giorgio (Kickboxing) and GSP (MMA), all have a mastery of the jab.

The only difference i see in other combat sports outside of boxing is you have to get used to the addition of kicks. For example Renato Moicana has made an entire MMA career of using the low kick to counter opponents who attempt to jab him wihtout feinting first lol.

It's still the jab. The jab is even more effective in 4 ounce gloves, look at Michael Biasping and Stipe Miocic shutting down Anderson Silva and Francis Ngannou respectively. 4 ounce gloves turn the jab from a technique that stuns a little bit when it hits you, to something that actively hurt and can close up eyes.

teh jab is the best weapon … even in street fights.

a weak jab could break your nose lol.

I think this is kind of a stupid endeavor.
No offense meant, but it seems like this is step one in some MMA otaku’s attempt to create ‘the perfect style’ based on ‘science’.
<AckbarTrap>
No shortage of stupid around.

My thought, how about MMA learning to punch in general?<{cuts}>

again the jabs veyr important especially to me as a boxing base but i feel in mma guys like gsp dominated with the jab due to his length it alked to marcus davis about this as well whenw e were training and he said at the time 2011 2012 look at the top wws.. gsp.rory macdonalds. nick diaz and notice they all have abnormally long reach and can keep you where they want you

marcus was way more technical of a boxer than nate diaz for instance but nate just kept him out he couldnt get to him if you ever sene marcus train and spar in the gym i think he for sure would be top 3 best boxers at middle weight in terms of technique flow just had stubby arms if he was a wrestler as well he would went very far

Then stamina and workrate off it , mix up body head

sad nobody hardly ever has joe on their p4p list retired undefeated over 20 title defenses lol beat roy jones jr n his last fight great career would lvoe to seen him fight andre ward though but andre came little to late

. Uppercuts are nice, if you can make that your money punch you will be a legend but almost no one does that because its agreed that it's the most tricky and difficult to master
Nope.
To land, yes, it is really damn hard task.
One guy almost switched out green guy with this, later green guy didn't allowed him properly use legs and still green guy won bout.
Yp, executed was more merciless than Nigel did on Gerald. With ~85% possible force.
If he properly landed next, then….
----

Nope.
One guy almost switched out green guy with this, later green guy didn't allowed him properly use legs and still green guy won bout.
Yp, executed was more merciless than Nigel did on Gerald. With ~85% possible force.
If he properly landed next, then….
----

yeah i love uppercuts but you gotta set that thing up t land on a good guy

...Uppercuts are nice, if you can make that your money punch you will be a legend but almost no one does that because its agreed that it's the most tricky and difficult to master and make your style around for most boxers, even pros.

Nope.

<Huh2>

I kinda assumed mastery of a punch implied being able to connect with it

I kinda assumed mastery of a punch implied being able to connect with it
+ the more close to ideal the better.
Guys aren't dumb and power striking in ideal case is when whole body is properly used to deliver it.
---
Common shitting in forums is against TMA calling it dreamers and delusional idiots.
In realistic approach the most suitable persons for harsh TMA are guys with small and still massive chins, very strong necks and low place between jaw/chin and neck + stance with short neck & very athletic necks.
& This is because in old stylish TMAs there are evaluated different attacks.
a) chokes. The less place for them an opponent does have , the better.
b) sorry, cuts with blades, stabbing and open hand techniques, again thinking about neck imposes thinking about chin/ jaw...
c) an uppercut isn't modern stuff and this is one of the best tools for h2h and old fashioned JJJ and derivatives etc.
Tech and approach for this doesn't depends mechanically from pro boxing ….in ideal case.
All humans does have the same anatomy and biomechanics regardless of their combat art.
All another discussions are clickbait worth, nothing more.
Better there is ask sports doctor than spend all life free time watching superstars.
---
There's half uppercuts, technically a bit more complex stuff.
----
Guys of course doesn't want to get good quality strike from opponent, and these aren't less dangerous than straight with leading hand.

The Johnny Cage punch

mZVMETpfJ_3LH6WRr2cO42QJPji14VuJIh2KsM9uQHiUyiJ5YPR9_Bqit_D4Y72zOx-4iG4V6XBaiG64cxpwBU0zea-cqiAnRhZbgr3C08HOVDmGaYlbl4zKs8irCSJn8Lmklmq9YAiK9rXWlVVVOZe1Kv0NHWYluY1cFqAO-KjThHSXSioyXIq3dVJtmtZfJbydeVGm_XdDLTqKH4UPM_KtkNilgGGxKXbFIAk7_vg4z_8vMtm2e4iorws-

A masterful jab opens up a lot of doors in MMA. You can set almost anything up off a really effective jab.

Back