Movies Movie News and Notes

Peter Fonda, Easy Rider Architect and Counter-Cultural Icon, Dies at 79

r9HzH4w.jpg

Peter Fonda, who broke out from under the legendary Fonda family name with Easy Rider, has died. He was 79.

Fonda, the son of acting legend Henry Fonda, the younger brother of Jane Fonda and the father of Bridget Fonda, died Friday morning at his home in Los Angeles, according to his rep. The cause of death was respiratory failure due to lung cancer.

"In one of the saddest moments of our lives, we are not able to find the appropriate words to express the pain in our hearts. As we grieve, we ask that you respect our privacy," said his family rep on Friday afternoon. "And, while we mourn the loss of this sweet and gracious man, we also wish for all to celebrate his indomitable spirit and love of life."

The family statement concluded: "In honor of Peter, please raise a glass to freedom."

Fonda received an Academy Award nomination as a screenwriter for Easy Rider, which he shared with Dennis Hopper and Terry Southern.

Fonda and Hopper dreamed up the idea of two motorcyclists who hit it big with a drug deal and take off across the country, ostensibly to attend Mardi Gras. Their trek was "in search of America," emblematic of the '60s zeitgeist of rebellion and drug experimentation. Featuring Jack Nicholson as their alcoholic, back rider/lawyer, the film was a low-budget, colossal hit.

Fonda produced Easy Rider for about $384,00, with Columbia Pictures picking up distribution rights. "I made Easy Rider for the same amount of money Roger Corman made Wild Angels, and [I knew] it would knock the audience's socks off," Fonda told The Hollywood Reporter in July for a feature on the 50th anniversary of the classic.

Shot in roughly seven weeks between L.A. and New Orleans, it introduced the studios to the bright, educated youth market, and Fonda paved the way for independent filmmakers. For the cataclysmic year of 1969, Easy Rider was a road movie that accomplished cinematically what Jack Kerouac's On the Road did for literature. It won a standing ovation at Cannes and the festival's best director award.

To a generation of young people, Fonda was "Captain America" and a poster-boy for the age. With his cool shades, leather jacket with the flag stitched on back, he sat perched atop a chrome-laden, high-handle-bar cycle, and the poster for the film was ubiquitous in college dorms in 1969 and the early '70s.

As a symbol for rebellious youth, Fonda, along with Mick Jagger, Jimi Hendrix, Muhammad Ali and John Lennon, were among the most revered of countercultural poster boys.

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/n...rchitect-counter-cultural-icon-was-79-1232714

Peter Fonda, Easy Rider Architect and Counter-Cultural Icon, Dies at 79

r9HzH4w.jpg

Peter Fonda, who broke out from under the legendary Fonda family name with Easy Rider, has died. He was 79.

Fonda, the son of acting legend Henry Fonda, the younger brother of Jane Fonda and the father of Bridget Fonda, died Friday morning at his home in Los Angeles, according to his rep. The cause of death was respiratory failure due to lung cancer.

"In one of the saddest moments of our lives, we are not able to find the appropriate words to express the pain in our hearts. As we grieve, we ask that you respect our privacy," said his family rep on Friday afternoon. "And, while we mourn the loss of this sweet and gracious man, we also wish for all to celebrate his indomitable spirit and love of life."

The family statement concluded: "In honor of Peter, please raise a glass to freedom."

Fonda received an Academy Award nomination as a screenwriter for Easy Rider, which he shared with Dennis Hopper and Terry Southern.

Fonda and Hopper dreamed up the idea of two motorcyclists who hit it big with a drug deal and take off across the country, ostensibly to attend Mardi Gras. Their trek was "in search of America," emblematic of the '60s zeitgeist of rebellion and drug experimentation. Featuring Jack Nicholson as their alcoholic, back rider/lawyer, the film was a low-budget, colossal hit.

Fonda produced Easy Rider for about $384,00, with Columbia Pictures picking up distribution rights. "I made Easy Rider for the same amount of money Roger Corman made Wild Angels, and [I knew] it would knock the audience's socks off," Fonda told The Hollywood Reporter in July for a feature on the 50th anniversary of the classic.

Shot in roughly seven weeks between L.A. and New Orleans, it introduced the studios to the bright, educated youth market, and Fonda paved the way for independent filmmakers. For the cataclysmic year of 1969, Easy Rider was a road movie that accomplished cinematically what Jack Kerouac's On the Road did for literature. It won a standing ovation at Cannes and the festival's best director award.

To a generation of young people, Fonda was "Captain America" and a poster-boy for the age. With his cool shades, leather jacket with the flag stitched on back, he sat perched atop a chrome-laden, high-handle-bar cycle, and the poster for the film was ubiquitous in college dorms in 1969 and the early '70s.

As a symbol for rebellious youth, Fonda, along with Mick Jagger, Jimi Hendrix, Muhammad Ali and John Lennon, were among the most revered of countercultural poster boys.

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/n...rchitect-counter-cultural-icon-was-79-1232714

Why couldn't it have been Jane?!

im watching avengers endgame for the first time. this movie is over 3 hours long.....

im watching avengers endgame for the first time. this movie is over 3 hours long.....

I havent seen it yet and yes that's long but braveheart is probably my favorite movie of all time and that's like 3 hours as well.

I havent seen it yet and yes that's long but braveheart is probably my favorite movie of all time and that's like 3 hours as well.
i just watched The Right Stuff from like 1989. 3 hours 15 mins. The Avengers of the 80's

Trailer for Sci-Fi Underwater Monster Thriller UNDERWATER Starring Kristen Stewart

UNDERWATER is a film that follows a crew of underwater researchers who must scramble to safety after an earthquake devastates their subterranean laboratory. Directed by William Eubank, UNDERWATER stars Kristen Stewart, T.J. Miller, Vincent Cassel and John Gallagher Jr.. In Theaters January 10, 2020

I saw Alita: Battle Angel the other day on a United Flight. Any chance this gets a sequel. I really enjoyed it. Story was good and Salazar was adorable. It would be could to see her go to the city in the sky.

Michael Rooker Joins Vin Diesel and John Cena in FAST & FURIOUS 9

GhCernt.jpg

Guardians of the Galaxy star Michael Rooker is joining Fast & Furious 9. Rooker will be playing Buddy, a small role in the latest installment in Universal's car-centric series.

Rooker will join a cast that includes franchise newcomer John Cena, as well as returning stars Vin Diesel, Charlize Theron, Michelle Rodriguez and Helen Mirren, among others.

Justin Lin is directing from a screenplay by Dan Casey. Fast 9 is due out May 22, 2020.

Rooker was last in theaters in the superhero horror Brightburn, and will next be seen in Blumhouse's Fantasy Island movie and Paramount's adventure film Monster Problems.

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/heat-vision/michael-rooker-joins-fast-furious-9-1233011

I saw Alita: Battle Angel the other day on a United Flight. Any chance this gets a sequel. I really enjoyed it. Story was good and Salazar was adorable. It would be could to see her go to the city in the sky.
Slim chance as the box office performance was just lukewarm.

Apparently damage control is in full force and everybody is saying it's premature.
[Reposted from a different thread] Disney pushed its luck. 50/50 profit split was probably too unrealistic. Should have gone for 15-20% percentage instead.

Really hope Sony doesn't screw up the property this time around. Into the Spiderverse was awesome BUT.... it was an origin movie. Sequels are harder to pull off. Considering where Far From Home ended which was a monumental cliffhanger and without the Midas guiding hand of Kevin Feige, I'm worried for the third Spidey movie. Hope Sony pulls it off though because I love Tom Holland's version and its universe.

THE MATRIX 4 in the Works with Keanu Reeves, Carrie-Anne Moss and Director Lana Wachowski Returning

kPd5XYQ.jpg

Keanu Reeves, Carrie-Anne Moss and Lana Wachowski, co-creator and director of the The Matrix, are returning to the fold for a fourth installment of the seminal action franchise. Wachowski is set to write, helm and produce the new feature project, with Reeves and Moss reprising their respective roles as action heroes Neo and Trinity.

Warner Bros. will once again team with Village Roadshow for the project. “We could not be more excited to be re-entering The Matrix with Lana,” Warner Bros. Pictures Group chairman Toby Emmerich said Tuesday in a statement. “Lana is a true visionary — a singular and original creative filmmaker — and we are thrilled that she is writing, directing and producing this new chapter in The Matrix universe.”

"Many of the ideas Lilly [Wachowski, Lana's sister] and I explored 20 years ago about our reality are even more relevant now,” said Wachowski. “I’m very happy to have these characters back in my life and grateful for another chance to work with my brilliant friends.”

Wachowski is producing the film together with Grant Hill. The screenplay is by Wachowski, Aleksandar Hemon and David Mitchell.

The Matrix, written and directed by the Wachowskis, was released in 1999 and was seen as revolutionary in its idea of reality, metaphors in anti-authority and, of course, action scenes that introduced “bullet time.” The initial movie was not just a box office smash but a critical hit and was followed by two sequels, 2003's The Matrix Reloaded and The Matrix Revolutions. While those movies also raked it in at the box office, it was diminishing returns for audience loyalty and reception.

Warners, in search of so-called safe and branded franchises to which it could return to, had in recent years considered prequels and spinoffs, including ones that involved Michael B. Jordan and screenwriter Zak Penn.

In addition, Joel Silver produced the original trilogy, but the studio’s latest announcement did not include his name. The infamous producer had a longtime deal with Warner Bros. when those movies were made but has since severed ties. It is unclear whether or not any contract conditions will cause him to return.

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/heat-vision/matrix-4-works-keanu-reeves-lana-wachowski-1233371

James Bond 25 Starring Daniel Craig Officially Titled NO TIME TO DIE

ZHWWDzf.jpg

Daniel Craig’s final outing as 007 has finally been named with the appropriately titled No Time to Die. The title announcement came with a short video teaser that showed Craig’s dapper Bond taking a short stroll, and then the title reveal. The 1970s styled font of that title feels appropriately nostalgic and perhaps suggests that director Cary Fukunaga’s film will depart from some of the more modern trappings, and plodding broodiness of the last entry, Spectre (2015), and harken back to the Bond eras defined by Sean Connery and Roger Moore.

It’s rumored that the film’s previous director, Danny Boyle, left the project because he wanted to kill off James Bond in the end, a decision that Eon wouldn’t stand for. No Time to Die fittingly feels like a politely passive aggressive rebuttal to Boyle, and a promise that just because this is Craig’s last outing it doesn’t mean that the character will die. This also isn’t the first time the word “die” has appeared in a Bond film. Roger Moore confronted death of the voodoo variety in his first appearance as Bond in Live and Let Die (1973), and Pierce Brosnan double-dipped on death Tomorrow Never Dies (1997) and Die Another Day (2002). As far as titles go, No Time to Die is about as Bond as you can get without sticking “gold” somewhere in there.

The re-released plot synopsis, attached to the press announcement for the title, hints at a more retro approach with the retired Bond, living in Jamaica, being drawn back into active service by Felix Leiter (Jeffrey Wright) in order to rescue a kidnapped scientist who leads them to a “mysterious villain armed with dangerous new technology.” Though he isn’t mentioned in the press release, Christoph Waltz was confirmed to return as Bond’s nemesis, Blofeld, just last month.

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/heat-vision/no-time-die-end-daniel-craigs-james-bond-1233452

Back