Muay Thai and Lethwei on UFC fight pass in 2019

What are those? Lumpinee friday night?

What are those? Lumpinee friday night?

Just found more info. It looks like the Friday night fights is an US promotion however the Bangkok Fights are from Lumpinee.

MUAY THAI

Friday Night Fights

The longest running Muay Thai promotion in North America, the New York-based Friday Night Fights brings high-quality Muay Thai fighting to FIGHT PASS.

Bangkok Fights

Every week, FIGHT PASS will live stream a major Muay Thai event from the iconic Lumpinee Stadium in Bangkok, showcasing the “art of the eight limbs” in its most authentic form.

Muay Thai Grand Prix

Europe’s elite Thai boxers compete in a series of elimination tournaments noted for their all-out action.

LETHWEI

World Lethwei Championship

The ancient Burmese sport of Lethwei is considered the most aggressive martial art in the world. Using slightly modified rules, the World Lethwei Championship brings world-class production values to the ancient Burmese art, featuring noted American combat sports broadcaster Sean Wheelock calling the action from ringside.

Lethwei Fighting Championship

Featuring the most aggressive fighters in the world’s most aggressive martial art, Lethwei Fighting Championship events will stream live on FIGHT PASS from Myanmar.

I think they did it last year aswell

I see. I think Lethwei is a first though right?

I might have found a reason to renew my fightpass membership.

Appreciate the effort but they could definitely sign Raja too but don't know Raja puts much more stacked cards lately.

Appreciate the effort but they could definitely sign Raja too but don't know Raja puts much more stacked cards lately.
Yeah and also i don't think they streamed the most stacked lumpinee cards anyway. Might be wrong though.

Yeah and also i don't think they streamed the most stacked lumpinee cards anyway. Might be wrong though.

They probably have limited knowledge in terms of what is and isn't a stacked card. But I think it's still a step in the right direction to bring more awareness to stadium MT.

They probably have limited knowledge in terms of what is and isn't a stacked card. But I think it's still a step in the right direction to bring more awareness to stadium MT.
sure but it can also have the opposite effect, turning people off. Especially the Friday Night Fights and Muay Thai Grand Prix, they don't seem to have high level fights. Collaborating with Top King would be better than those two promotions. Bangkok fights might be alright.

sure but it can also have the opposite effect, turning people off. Especially the Friday Night Fights and Muay Thai Grand Prix, they don't seem to have high level fights. Collaborating with Top King would be better than those two promotions. Bangkok fights might be alright.

Maybe they just can't find a commercial agreement with Top King. Yokkao would be nice too.

Muay Thai Grand Prix is fun, I went to spectate a few times, but yeah it's definitely not near the highest level of MT, but it does have a few good local names.

World Lethwei Championship? Is that the same as the Golden Belt or is it something akin to when the UFC markets their champions as "world" champions?

On a side note, since I am a pesky white belt who can't be trusted making new threads..
How come there aren't any famous Thai fighters fighting in the neightbouring countries? I can only remember Saiyok fighting with wrapped hands against a Laotian at some border fair in the golden triangle. But you don't see fighters ranked at Raja or Lumpinee going to Burma and fighting with headbutts, how come?
(please don't bring up Thai Fight, those wrappings provide equal padding to a normal boxing glove)

Last edited:
World Lethwei
On a side note, since I am a pesky white belt who can't be trusted making new threads..
How come there aren't any famous Thai fighters fighting in the neightbouring countries? I can only remember Saiyok fighting with wrapped hands against a Laotian at some border fair in the golden triangle. But you don't see fighters ranked at Raja or Lumpinee going to Burma and fighting with headbutts, how come?
(please don't bring up Thai Fight, those wrappings provide equal padding to a normal boxing glove)
Why would they? Their certainly isn't more money to be made there, and a hell of a lot less people paying attention.

The fight night aren't real muay Thai they wear elbow pads and none of the fighters are Thai.

I watched Bangkok Fights once. worst commentating I've heard in any combat sport event.

it's a start but other than the muay thai GP where they have some interesting fights here and there, the others are kind of meh.

I watched Bangkok Fights once. worst commentating I've heard in any combat sport event.

Worse than the "phoenix" card when the commentators had Kaonar and Petwason names switched until the 3rd round?

World Lethwei Championship? Is that the same as the Golden Belt or is it something akin to when the UFC markets their champions as "world" champions?

Not sure if WLC has the tournament format, but they do have the decision aspect of Golden Belt.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kilgorevontrouty
Back