Muay Thai fighters who only knee rather than kick?

MuayThai101

Brown Belt
@Brown
Reaction score
As I age, I dont find the time to stay flexible, nor am I interested in competing anymore. I decided to stop kicking in training and rather focus on knees instead. My training now is mostly for self defence/street reasons. I feel like kicking is a risky game to play on the street due to slipping, or having it caught due to pants and shoes. So my game is now the basics of basic for Muay thai. I box, i knee, i elbow, and occasionally low kick. After months of doing this, I began to notice getting a lot more fluid and simply improved my game. By focusing on less weapons, those few weapons are a lot more crisp.

So I was hoping that you guys would recommend me some good muay thai fighters who mostly use this style and stay competitive? Good boxing, with nasty elbows and knees? Thanks in advanced.

Yodwicha in the past... now he seems to mostly punch though

Dieselnoi for sure the most savage knee fighter, but if looking for something to model yourself after you'd need a similar body type, which was also a big factor in his dominance IMO.

As I age, I dont find the time to stay flexible, nor am I interested in competing anymore. I decided to stop kicking in training and rather focus on knees instead. My training now is mostly for self defence/street reasons. I feel like kicking is a risky game to play on the street due to slipping, or having it caught due to pants and shoes. So my game is now the basics of basic for Muay thai. I box, i knee, i elbow, and occasionally low kick. After months of doing this, I began to notice getting a lot more fluid and simply improved my game. By focusing on less weapons, those few weapons are a lot more crisp.

So I was hoping that you guys would recommend me some good muay thai fighters who mostly use this style and stay competitive? Good boxing, with nasty elbows and knees? Thanks in advanced.
Buakaw these days knees and sweeps more often. I mean he still kicks but not at the frequency in his K1 days

Yodkunpon from the golden era. Great knees and elbows

Look at the GOAT :Liam Harrison. He doesn't throw any body kicks just low kicks and hands/elbows

search up muay khao omn youtube..youll find a lot of good stuff

While he didn't solely rely on them, Langsyuan Panyuthapum was known to throw wicked knees in his bouts.

I feel like kicking is a risky game to play on the street due to slipping, or having it caught due to pants and shoes

Besides the chance of falling, another problem with kicks above the waist is, you need a decent amount of room.

I've been in a situation or two where linear attacks/close range were the only options.

This is partly why Muay Thai is such a devastating and useful art, there are attacks to use at every range.

This reads like I’m writing it.
Same thing, I’ve just begun to train with a street fight happening in mind, and I want my feet underneath me. Everything you said, I agree with.
Side note - I’m adding headbutts into my shadowboxing, and being aware of where heads are in sparring and even when I’m watching fights.... however, of course it is not possible to spar with headbutts.

There are several types of muaythai techniques that can be used in self defense.

Muay_Thai_-_Tcnicas_de_defesa_ (1).jpg Muay_Thai_-_Tcnicas_de_defesa_.jpg

Back