Muay Thai Shorts: BoxSense (Custom) vs. Fairtex

JRal

Orange Belt
Reaction score
I could not find any reviews on the custom Muay Thai shorts from Muay Thai Art, so I thought I'd throw my initial impressions on here. I also ordered a pair of Fairtex shorts. These are my first pairs of MT shorts. At my academy, we test for our shorts after we have been there at least 6 months and have enough hours of training.

I ordered these shorts because I needed a 44" waist size. The size chart on Muay Thai Art said a 4L would fit a 44-50in waist. I created my design, which was easy to do on their website, and placed my order. The total after shipping was $72.50. Steep, yes, but I figured it would be okay for my first pair because they have a lot of meaning to me. It took roughly 30 days from the day I ordered until the day I received them.

The shorts look great and just as I designed them! The fabric feels VERY similar to the Fairtex (slight edge to the Fairtex.) No complaints there. However, I am extremely disappointed in the fit:

-I am now a 42" waist, 2" smaller than the 6" size range for the shorts. As a woman, the 42" is around where my waistband is, not the smallest part of my waist. (If it helps anyone, I am a borderline XL/XXL in men's Under Armour shorts.) I can get them on, but the waist tight and barely bearable. I probably would not recommend them to anyone over a 38-40" waist. There is NO WAY they would fit a 50" waist. My husband, who has a 33" waist, tried them on and they felt snug to him too.

-They do not look tight, but they feel tight when I squat down or lift my legs. I could not wear them for training. The fit felt awkward and pulled at the legs on my husband, too. The fit is just odd; it is as if I am wearing a pair of jeans backwards. I tried them on backwards, out of curiosity, and they fit exactly the same way.

-There is a ton of extra fabric where the letters are. I've been told that this can be normal, though.

-At the recommendation of a couple of my instructors, I had small slits cut in the sides of the shorts. I have a LITTLE more range in the legs, but it just doesn't fix the fact that it feels like I am wearing my pants on backwards.

b696ba5c.jpg

Because of the fit issues, and because I am testing soon, I took my chances and ordered a pair of XXL Fairtex shorts for $24.99 (+$6.99 shipping) on ebay. I am in the process of losing weight so I figured if they didn't fit, they would eventually. Fairtex XXL is supposed to fit a 38-40" waist. They arrived today:

f8315efe.jpg

The Fairtex shorts FIT PERFECTLY! I am so relieved, but even more disappointed in my Boxsense shorts. Of course, I cannot return the Boxsense now that I have had them tailored. Hopefully they will fit better once I lose more weight.

The Fairtex is quite a bit bigger around the waist. They are not tight AT ALL! The fit really is quite perfect on me, and they look great. There is not a ton of extra material around the lettering. I love the lavender color, girly but not pink. NO COMPLAINTS!

13f32269.jpg

The length is almost exactly the same between the two pairs. Lining up the center seams, the Fairtex are about 1" larger in each leg when layed flat (so 2" total per leg.)

2d34cc8c.jpg

So, needless to say, I do not recommend Muay Thai Art. I will say that their response to emails was quick and friendly, but there is a language barrier. When I asked, he was willing to give me a discount on another pair if I kept these ones. In the end, I just couldn't chance it. If the shorts had just been too small I may have gone for it, but the fit was just so off that I couldn't afford another ill-fitting pair. It was suggested to me on another thread that anytime you have larger sizes made in Thailand, the sizes could be off, so order at your own risk.

So there is the story of my $72.50 cent mistake. :wink:

I'm a big guy so i know what you mean about thai sizing but just send a centimeter measurement of the with where you want them to sit. I bought XXXL and they fit great

I have heard great stuff about muaythaiart.com actually and have ordered from them before without a problem. I have actually ordered from all the main suppliers, muaythaifighting, muaythaiart, muaythaistuff, and muaythaifactory. I haven't had a problem with any of my orders and I do have a few pairs of boxsense shorts as well. great quality, and if anyone didnt already know, boxsense is the same place that manufactures for most of the major companies like twins etc. Basically its the same exact short with a different logo on it, so when you are buying name brand shorts, all your paying extra for....is the name.

Back