Multivitamine comprehensive guide, once and for all. Which is best?

CauseImbetta

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Time to pin down to top choices for multivitamins once and for all. There are too many competing multivitamin companies, too many claims and too many varying results.

My overall questions:
1. What in your opinion is the best brand for overall health and preventing colds?
2. Is it worth taking them "just in case"?

But first, some background to this thread.

I get colds/viruses during the winter season about once a month and it's horrible. I do Brazilian jujitsu on not so clean mats and roll 4 days a week. Plus I'm getting older. I'm not in my 20s anymore. Those who never get sick on the mats take a cocktail of multivitamins every morning with 50 mg of zinc. They are never sick. Unbelievable. So my multivitamin research ensued.

Clinical studies

Participants who took a Centrum-brand multivitamin each day for an average of 11 years had no change in cancer mortality or cardiovascular disease mortality compared to the placebo group.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Centrum_(multivitamin)

This is discouraging. Also if you are not deficient in a certain vitamin or mineral, you just pee it out. Waste of money. But the problem is you don't know what you are deficient in, so you should take a blood test before you start popping multivitamins which I did. I am awaiting my blood test results.

Brand choice

Brand choice is overwhelming. Centrum is #1 recommended. I found out because it's made by Pfizer and Pfizer has wide reach into many pharmaceutical areas. So of course they are highly recommended by doctors. It's also cheap, filled with fillers and I am scare to take them. In the centrum bottle in front of me:
Some non-medical ingredients: BHT, corn starch, 40 Aliminum Lake, Titanium dioxide,...plus 25 more!!!!

http://bydesignliving.com/why-is-centrum-bad-for-you/

I google top choices. Hundreds popped up. My brother told me to take Herbalife Multivitamin Mineral Complex, it has no synthetic ingredient. Must take 2-3 times a day. That is better than once a day pill where you pee out magnesium after 4 hours. I am skeptical, but will try. Seems to be the best I can find right now. He swears by the moon and stars it's the best. I checked, no bad non-medical ingredient.

How much is too much?

Look what happens when you take too much Zinc: https://www.livestrong.com/article/29333-effects-much-zinc/

Damn. so I had to tone the zinc down. Its' very difficult to strike a perfect balance. So it seems if you take multivitamin you don't need to take extra stuff on the side. Am I right?

Thanks for reading and thanks for your input.

Xymogen ActivEssentials or Pure Encapsulations Nutrient 950

Kyolic for immunity - https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/22280901

If you want a quick and dirty way to check if vitamin is worth looking into. Just take a quick look at the Magnesium type. Oxide is not very bioavailable and is generally cheaper for the manufacturer to use. Its also whats in the herbalife formula.

Lots of people will say you dont need a multi if you eat a balanced diet. How many people eat a balanced fucking diet that touches upon all the necessary food groups?

Last edited:
Xymogen ActivEssentials or Pure Encapsulations Nutrient 950

Kyolic for immunity - https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/22280901

If you want a quick and dirty way to check if vitamin is worth looking into. Just take a quick look at the Magnesium type. Oxide is not very bioavailable and is generally cheaper for the manufacturer to use. Its also whats in the herbalife formula.

Lots of people will say you dont need a multi if you eat a balanced diet. How many people eat a balanced fucking diet that touches upon all the necessary food groups?

Probably only bodybuilders or athletes are conscious of eating all the necessary food groups. Average people not so much. Hence i believe we could benefit from a multivitamin. Ill check out kyolic, maybe just eating garlic is sufficient? I checked my Centrum ingredients label, and it has Magnesium oxide! I will no longer be using centrum, that's for sure.

Eat your meat nose to tail, no need for supplements.

Eat yogurt for immune system. Your boogers will be noticeably thicker and stronger and the nose is the first line of defense for colds.

My overall questions:
1. What in your opinion is the best brand for overall health and preventing colds?
2. Is it worth taking them "just in case"?

1. I recommend Ecogreen or Now Adam from Now Foods. You can also take D3 - it helped me with the colds + Magnesium (there is never enough in a multi). Actually, D3 is the only supplement that really helped me (meaning that I actually feel the benefits).
2. I don't know. I take them now and then, with long breaks.

"male U.S. physicians initially aged 50 years or older (mean age of 64.3, standard deviation 9.2 years), that began in 1997 with treatment and follow-up through June 1, 2011. They compared total cancer (excluding nonmelanoma skin cancer) for participants taking a daily multivitamin (Centrum Silver by Pfizer) versus placebo. Compared with placebo, men taking a daily multivitamin had a statistically significant reduction in the incidence of total cancer, with a hazard ratio (HR) = 0.92 (95% confidence interval (CI) 0.86-0.998; P = .04). "

So, old men over 50. I don't know how a multi can help you with cancer. A multi is useful if you are doing intensive physical activity (bjj, bodybuilding, running) and you need more vitamins than usual. And yeah, it's quite hard to take all the vitamins and minerals from food.

PS: Herbalife is shit. pyramid scheme, too expensive for what they offer. The founder, Mark R. Hughes, is a guy who founded Herbalife while coming up with fake claims and was fined for this. He died at 44, while mixing alcohol with antidepressants.

Orange triade is the only vitamin I've taken where I felt a difference. It was a small difference but I did feel it.

Most people who eat normal diet are unlikely to benefit from these nutritional supplements. When you take a bunch of unregulated, processed shit made by people like Joe Rogan's friends, you're putting yourself at risk for potential harm. You may be wasting your money on ineffective bro science that may be poison, contaminated, or some random shit that's not even what's being advertised on the label (all of which are not uncommon.)

Living in a hot climate and sweating a lot during training 6 times per week I did read it was wise to use extra multivitamins for sportsmen. Currently using Animal Pak. I think it's ok. Probably expensive piss but it has all vitamins in high doses and some more stuff you need like zinc and magnesium (those are the two you seem to sweat out easily and are needed for your muscle). However it's 11 pills per day and probably overkill so next time when I ran out of vitamins I will probably check for another brand.

ZMA before bed on an empty stomach for a good nights sleep, vivid dreams and a raging dick in the morning for your boyfriend to enjoy

Back