Music you 'dont get'

scorpiorising

The world eater
@Brown
Reaction score
Everyone's got that genre, those parts of songs that ruin the whole thing, that sound or band/musician that masses love that you just don't like. Throw some out there and let's see.

For myself:

The Doors. They've got a few great songs. Overall it just sounds so bland. Just could never do it.

Auto-tune in rap/hip hop. It just sounds so lazy, so cheesey and overall just shit. I get that it's a super easy and cheap way to make something sound a certain way, but that way stinks. There's a couple gems like T Pain had a song or two, but there are 50 million bad songs.

Pandering country music. So I enjoy some old country. It was a fun genre in the 50s/60s/70s and to a lesser extent the 80s. By the 1990s and 2000s it became of steaming garbage pile of everyone sounding the same. They ALLLL had the same voice and style. If any of you don't know any older country before the 90s I can shoot you some good actual old country.

Auto-tune in rap/hip hop. It just sounds so lazy, so cheesey and overall just shit. I get that it's a super easy and cheap way to make something sound a certain way, but that way stinks. There's a couple gems like T Pain had a song or two, but there are 50 million bad songs.
This, all this. Fucking hate Auto-tune.

When calm/regular songs go crazy. Huge pet peeve of mine. When a regular song you're jamming out to and all of a sudden the artist goes full Slayer for 30 seconds, ruining the whole vibe. I'm exaggerating with the Slayer example, but just a super loud part in a normal song bothers me.

Never go full Slayer, unless you're Slayer.

I could never get into reggae or ska, with the exception of a few Sublime songs. It does nothing for me.

Super long intros/outros/skits without separating them into their own track.

This is the bane of my existence. Dre would do this, a 45 second skit before the song hits. Or for a more obscure reference, the misfits: doomsday. The only available version of this song on Spotify is a 3 minute song with 10 mins of radio silence then another short secret song.

I could never get into reggae or ska, with the exception of a few Sublime songs. It does nothing for me.
It's interesting, those two are probably my favorites but I never play in front of others cuz I think your opinion is pretty common

Pandering country music. So I enjoy some old country. It was a fun genre in the 50s/60s/70s and to a lesser extent the 80s. By the 1990s and 2000s it became of steaming garbage pile of everyone sounding the same. They ALLLL had the same voice and style. If any of you don't know any older country before the 90s I can shoot you some good actual old country.
Yeah, modern pop country can suck a dick

It's interesting, those two are probably my favorites but I never play in front of others cuz I think your opinion is pretty common
You'd be at home with a lot of the people around where I am from. Growing up that's all folks listened to and still do.

You'd be at home with a lot of the people around where I am from. Growing up that's all folks listened to and still do.
What general are of the world? No one here in Vancouver Canada really do, I thought it was a dead genre lol

I assume England?

The vast majority of prog does nothing for me aside from a few notable exceptions.

Even for subgenres that I absolutely don't fuck with like Walmart Country I kinda understand the appeal, it just doesn't appeal to me.

But what will never make sense to me is how so many people just stop listening to new music after they graduate high school or college, especially in this day and age where finding new music is so easy and basically every genre has some sort of revival going on even if you have to dig a bit deeper for some.

Even for subgenres that I absolutely don't fuck with like Walmart Country I kinda understand the appeal, it just doesn't appeal to me.

But what will never make sense to me is how so many people just stop listening to new music after they graduate high school or college, especially in this day and age where finding new music is so easy and basically every genre has some sort of revival going on even if you have to dig a bit deeper for some.

God damn I agree. I play on a few hockey teams. Middle aged white guys are the worst for it haha.

Anything autotuned. If you need autotune to sound good, pick another line of work!
Any R&B/rap collaboration/duet. I mean, you got a (usually female) singer with a great voice (although they tend to fall under autotuning these days) and then you alternate with some guy who could not sing a clear note if his life depended on it.
Rap in general.

Trap music, it uses the same electronic drum beats all the time and just sounds like trash, it's infected commercials which use that same damn electronic drum beat. I mean other music even music that I don't like I can understand in some way why people would like it, but not this.

Death metal.

Metal heads that can’t sing fit in this genre.

Mumble rap/SoundCloud rap/dog shit

Rappers can’t form a proper lyric and sing with auto tune.

I sort of did that. I stopped listening to new music (as in recently released music) almost entirely after college because I don't listen to the radio or go out, but I still listen to music that's new to me pretty frequently.

In response to the thread topic: growling and gutteral noises in metal. I don't get it. I don't see the appeal. I often really like the instrumentals in black metal and death metal, but they completely lose me with the vocals. I've been seeking more bands that have heavy metal instrumentals without the extremely heavy vocals.

Back