Music you 'dont get'

Dumb question. What is prog? I've never really understood thw definition of progressive Rock.
Prog is Basically long experimental types of songs that have a lot of peaks and valleys. Dream Theater is a great example of a prog metal band.

Edm- so you're a dj , you're a good dj , but you're a dj and your 14min "song" I'm struggling to see the appeal
Polished country - should be grimy,gritty, hank,waylon,johnny,george .... being drunks shitheads .... the modern pretty let's do a commercial with peyton manning ppl I don't get, and I dont wanna get.
Screamo-wut? No really wut? I can't understand wtf you're saying and now I got a headache, thanks.

anything made after 11:59:59 on Saturday 31st December 1989

it's not music
t4207.gif

Mumble rap. Most modern rap sucks. There some good stuff still out though like Tyler.

i dont get nightcore at all. its nothing but pitched up songs. nothing original. all they do is take whatever song they find pitch it up about 10% then call it a new genre.

Rap/hip hop or whatever the kids are calling it these days. There's simply no talent involved and is generally unpleasant to listen to. I often wonder if people that listen to it actually like it or just think they're supposed to listen to it for social reasons.

There's always been loads of absolutely terrible music. The absolutely terrible music from the 60s and 70s has just been forgotten about.
Right but in the past it didn't make up the bulk of "popular" music on the radio as today. Thats why it was forgotten. ITs the opposite today, you have to search for good music because the music industry is all cookie cutter nonsense today.

Rap/hip hop or whatever the kids are calling it these days. There's simply no talent involved and is generally unpleasant to listen to. I often wonder if people that listen to it actually like it or just think they're supposed to listen to it for social reasons.

I liked some of the older stuff (NWA, Public Enemy, Ice T etc) but that had an edge to it I reckon, the current brand of bullshit generic pop rap with that annoying vocal effect is terrible. Post Malone I really don't get, dude has good musical taste too and can play guitar, makes shit music though.

On topic Radiohead and Coldplay are two popular bands that I don't like and have really tried with. Particularly with Radiohead, I like their guitar player but you don't get to hear his skills much.

Jay Z. Admittedly I am not a hip hop head, but I explore all genres of music and mostly likely something from it all. Jay Z is always on the list of top rappers, so i checked out what is considered his best work (The Blueprint). I just don't see it. The beats are average. He doesn't have really much of anything important to say. Watch the Throne with Kanye is so much better IMO, so that makes me believe Kanye pulled that album together.

mostly the same as the general gist of the posters before me auto tune, death metal and music that is basically made for profit which is a ton of popular music.

but ANY music where the lyrics are negative, criminal, abusive, or speak in glowing terms of despicable acts i think is degenerate and the people ought to be shamed for making it and nobody should listen to it.

i've always felt like there was some consciousnesses manipulation involved in making good tunes with despicable lyrics.

Jay Z. Admittedly I am not a hip hop head, but I explore all genres of music and mostly likely something from it all. Jay Z is always on the list of top rappers, so i checked out what is considered his best work (The Blueprint). I just don't see it. The beats are average. He doesn't have really much of anything important to say. Watch the Throne with Kanye is so much better IMO, so that makes me believe Kanye pulled that album together.

Id say the black album is much better for Jay Z than the Blue Print but yeah I feel you. Im a hip hop fan, but never been too high on Jay Z outside of his catchier songs

Everyone's got that genre, those parts of songs that ruin the whole thing, that sound or band/musician that masses love that you just don't like. Throw some out there and let's see.

For myself:

The Doors. They've got a few great songs. Overall it just sounds so bland. Just could never do it.

Auto-tune in rap/hip hop. It just sounds so lazy, so cheesey and overall just shit. I get that it's a super easy and cheap way to make something sound a certain way, but that way stinks. There's a couple gems like T Pain had a song or two, but there are 50 million bad songs.

Pandering country music. So I enjoy some old country. It was a fun genre in the 50s/60s/70s and to a lesser extent the 80s. By the 1990s and 2000s it became of steaming garbage pile of everyone sounding the same. They ALLLL had the same voice and style. If any of you don't know any older country before the 90s I can shoot you some good actual old country.

I feel with The Doors you "had to be there" to get it but as someone who was a young kid of the 60s they were awesome.

99% of music post 1980s. Most music from the 90s and 00s were just atrocious

I can play Astor Piazzolla tangos and Bach lute music on classical guitar. All that takes is practice. Rapping is much much harder and takes way more talent. You basically have to come up with everything on your own. You almost have to come up with the instrument itself in a sense on your own.

It is pretty easily the greatest art form of the last 50 years.

I can play Astor Piazzolla tangos and Bach lute music on classical guitar. All that takes is practice. Rapping is much much harder and takes way more talent. You basically have to come up with everything on your own. You almost have to come up with the instrument itself in a sense on your own.

It is pretty easily the greatest art form of the last 50 years.
<{fry}>

When calm/regular songs go crazy. Huge pet peeve of mine. When a regular song you're jamming out to and all of a sudden the artist goes full Slayer for 30 seconds, ruining the whole vibe. I'm exaggerating with the Slayer example, but just a super loud part in a normal song bothers me.

Never go full Slayer, unless you're Slayer.

having one of those days. This cracked me up.

{<redford}

There is an incredible amount of new and amazing music out there and it's all easily accessible for you to check out if you put just a little bit of effort into it. If you really feel that most modern music is trash, that makes me think that you're just unable to move past what you thought was cool when you were 14 years old.

I think part of the problem is that its NOT so easily accessible though, from the 70's onwards I think you could argue more ambitious music always tended to have a bit of a presence in the mainstream, even if it wasnt massively sucessful you'd have an undercurrent of alternative music on certain lables, at certain stores, etc. Around the late 90's/early 00's though I think a lot of those outlets were bought up by big business and then many others shut down.

I do tend to think thought hat music generally is not in a good state, the level of investment is simply not there anymore beyond trying to produce more and more manifactured pop music. I remember reading an article not so long ago that in the UK the music scene was now dominated by people who had been to private schools compared to say 20-30 years previously. I think that tells tou that social status has become much more important as investment has gone down, coming from a well off background is needed to cover the short fall of investment. If your cutting much of society out of the scene then you limiting a lot of potential creativity.

I don't think thats just old man talk either as for example I don't think the same is true for films, if anything the arthouse scene in cinema now feels like the indie music scene I grew up with in the 80's and 90's. Its not as big as say Marvel of course but then again indie/alt music wasnt as big as Micheal Jackson yet it did have its place and a clear pipeline to an audience. I suspect the difference is partly that its younger, indie cinema broke though in the 90's the way indie music broke though in the 70's and has had less time to be bought up by the big studios but also I suspect because it has a lot of public funding, various public film funding orgs across the world are behind a lot of arthouse releases.

Last edited:
Wow haven't checked in for a while here. This thread took off a bit for the music sub.

Here's another one for me:

A lot music, particularly rap but also some rock have those female back up vocalists singing in the background. Was very prevalent in 70s rock and 90s techo & Rap.

Some did it classy and nice but most the times it just doesn't do it for me.

Back