Musicians that cross Genres

Dirt Road Soldier

All Praise To The Gun!
@red
Reaction score
One thing that always amazes me is when a talented musician crosses the lines, and goes into a genre they aren't known for and still manages to put out good music. So I figure, why not have a thread about it?!?!?

For the first entry, I would like to say Wednesday 13. More well known for his leading of goth rock rock bands like Murderdolls, he delved into country with a gimmick band that actually took off due to outlaw country being rather popular.

Murderdolls:

His country band, Bourbon Crow: (No video, just audio. They never did videos for this band)

So, what other musicians have crossed genres, and put out quality music? I love to see when people go outside their comfort zones and try something new, and music makers tend to be all in when they do it.

The Beatles obviously.
Listen to Abbey Road and tell me how many genres that is.
Hell, listen to "I Want You" and tell me.

Hank Williams III - Metal and Country
Ween- A lot of it is satire, but they're good musicians and are all over the place
Darius Rucker (From Hootie and the Blowfish) Country and Rock
The Beatles were also quite versatile
Frank Zappa started as a Jazz musician and kind of went a circus rock route.

Martina Topley Bird is pretty versatile when it comes to jumping from one genre to another - even when it comes to the same song.

she has the most beautiful voice I have ever heard in my entire life.

Tarja Turunen

Metal

And Opera

Igorrr - almost schizophrenic in it's genre melding...

David Byrne, Paul Simon, Peter Gabriel.

Mr. Bungle did it several times within their songs.

Robert Cray can be a slick R & B singer as in this song, and anyone who has seen him live knows he also plays straight up blues music.

Wasn't David Bowie known as the guy who crosses multiple genre and owned it? I'm not a fan of the guy but that's what I've read.

Wasn't David Bowie known as the guy who crosses multiple genre and owned it? I'm not a fan of the guy but that's what I've read.
Nah, not really. He has several styles blended into his own style but besides his first record all of his stuff sounds pretty similar. He got more popish in the 80s and then a little bit more electro influenced later on but it was allways true Bowie-Style.

Edit: Well, just realized ppl are talking about Musicians that blend in different styles in their music and not ppl who changed their musical direction throughout their career.
There are thousands over thousands who did/ do that. And yap, Bowie aswell.

Last edited:
Bobby Dylan. Started out as classic folk, went on to make rock'n rollish stuff, went on to make something aweful I don't wanne think about and ended up doing country/ blues.

Brian Eno comes to mind, too.

The Go! Team
Imagine an indy rock band, mixed with 60's funk, mixed with 80's style sampling, led by a group of chanting cheerleaders.

Dallas Green, aka City & Colour. Formerly of Alexisonfire, from hardcore/screamo to folk/folk rock.
Alexisonfire

City & Colour

Damon Albarn
definitely agree on Albarn, and i think even just restricting yourself to the Gorillaz discography it's impressive how many styles and genres there are.

Albarn also did the music for Monkey: Journey to the West, a Chinese musical:

and Dr. Dee, another musical:

Back