Must-have household tools

I don't understand why, the moment the Phillips Head Screwdriver / Screw was invented, flatheads didn't immediately die off.

Flathead screws resist stripping a lot better. They are better for applications where they will be unscrewed and screwed tight over and over. Like, for instance, hatch plates and access panels.

Laser measures are so handy; now that I'm used to using them I can't imagine not having one and actually having to snake a tape measure 10'+ instead of just clicking two buttons.

bosch-laser-distance-measurer-glm-30-64_1000.jpg

That Milwaukee set is only like 400. It will serve its purpose much better. Tools and electronics shouldn't be skimped on.

I do carpentry work for a living and those master force tools are good enough. I've had the same 20v Drill for about 4 years now and it works great. I've road it hard too building decks and such.

Q: Is it better to buy regular drill bits or hexbit drill bits? The hexbit seems like a firmer grip, but these have the drill bit as a separate piece somehow stuck to the hexbit base.

Q: Is it better to buy regular drill bits or hexbit drill bits? The hexbit seems like a firmer grip, but these have the drill bit as a separate piece somehow stuck to the hexbit base.

"Round shanks center more reliably than hex, but hex shanks are less likely to slip and are better for drilling hard materials."

I can't say I've had an issue with regular round shank twist drills ever slipping(in a hand held drill) and I've drilled all kinds of materials. Either will probably work fine for you. Maybe pick up a budget set that has both so you can try them, then invest in better bits if needed.

An endoscope. I just used one I got for a few bucks off Amazon to locate the lighting wires on the ceiling that my plasterer helpfully plastered over. Came with a bunch of attachments with mirrors and magnets and stuff. Very handy.

I like the hex bits for ease of use on simple stuff and will pop them in my driver. For heavy “real” drilling I still get out my drill and real drill bits.

I got another 16 months to remodel my house and need to tile 3 bathrooms and a kitchen. I think at that point it's worth buying a mid-range one and selling it when I'm done.
Yeah, better than having it sit in garage for another ten+ years after you are done for sure.

No man is a real man till he have is own duck pliers.

iu

Yes, and that shit is overkill unless you're a contractor. That being said they're still awesome. I have the drill, driver, and sawzall. Only gripes are the chick on the drill has a bad wobble(look up Milwaukee 2806 drill chuck loose) and the drill runs pretty hot and used a lot of power. The impact is ridiculous. It'll loosen nuts on the medium setting that my dewalt won't come close to moving. Pretty sure it's more powerful than the cordless 1/2" impact I have.

I still think for most people, a decent hand tool set and a M18 Milwaukee combo set with sawzall drill and impact etc. etc. are a good start and can be had for under 1k

63464_i.jpg

milwaukee-power-tool-combo-kits-2695-25cx-64_1000.jpg
Watching YouTube reviews of the high-torque, 1/2" impact wrench is my most recent binge/obsession.

not intentionally sexist but...a man. All the heavy liftting and naturally adept to handy-man stuffs is....handy

I've never had a round bit come loose on me. I load my bits by holding the bit with my fingers in one hand and holding the chuck at the same time in the same hand. Then I just pull the trigger and grip the chuck until it locks the bit in place. This is the fastest way to load but not the tightest and even then, I've never had one come loose.

Some drills are easier to use this way than others. DeWalt, I have a hell of a time getting the bit to center. Makita and Milwaukee center nearly every time. I really don't know why people buy DeWalt. They are powerful but loud, heavy and clunky compared to Makita and Milwaukee.

In addition to the tool lists, don't get stuck on having the same brand, unless you're going all cordless & have money invested in batteries. I love my Milwaukee M18 tools but have other brands too. For example,

• Dewalt planer & table saw
  • Bosch router
  • Ryobi nail gun
Do your research & buy based on need & how much you're going to use it. Having all the same color of tools is not a necessity.

Back