Elections My favourite characteristic of Canadian elections

Otto!

Steel Belt
Platinum Member
Reaction score
This is not a red vs blue thread, so let’s focus on the topic please. I am not very political as I think very little of most elected officials (discussion for another day), but there is one thing that I really love about our Canadian electoral system and it is the short duration of election campaigns. By law, federal elections campaigns can not last more than 50 days, with 36 days as the minimum duration.

I think that the short duration encourages the candidates to focus on debates, as it is a more pragmatic way to reach all voters as compared to a traveling road show. I am not convinced that a longer election would necessarily benefit one party or another, so keeping it short gets us back to business faster.

Fellow Canadians, are you also happy with the short duration of election campaigns?

For those outside of Canada, do you think that your own electoral cycle is too long, too short, just fine?

Thank you

I feel like telling someone how long they have to campaign is suppression of speech.

We spell it the way the English do... you know... the guys who invented the English Language. It's you Yanks that just misspell words.
We're the guys that perfected the language you guys invented.

Personally I like the longer format of the US elections. It's like the hunger games, with multiple elimination rounds. High production value on the debates as well.

Canadian elections are a snoozefest though, and you wonder how those idiots were selected out of a population of 30M. It's probably better to get it over with.

36 is plenty. I wouldn't mind if they were shorter. Let's give 21 a try next time, see how that goes.

You guys just got bodied by some rock hopping savages and they sent you an invoice for 2 trillion dollars.

Ah, that karma's a bitch, lol.
You mean the ill-fated decision that had both your country and your country's mother country participating because they're subservient to the US?

Damn shame.

I agree 1,000%. If I was in charge of the US, I’d give them a month for primaries (all voting on the same day) and a month for general elections. Put your policy positions on paper, have a few debates, and get that shit over with.

I’d still move to Mexico before I moved to Canada, but they get that mostly right at least.

Back