Elections My favourite characteristic of Canadian elections

This is not a red vs blue thread, so let’s focus on the topic please. I am not very political as I think very little of most elected officials (discussion for another day), but there is one thing that I really love about our Canadian electoral system and it is the short duration of election campaigns. By law, federal elections campaigns can not last more than 50 days, with 36 days as the minimum duration.

I think that the short duration encourages the candidates to focus on debates, as it is a more pragmatic way to reach all voters as compared to a traveling road show. I am not convinced that a longer election would necessarily benefit one party or another, so keeping it short gets us back to business faster.

Fellow Canadians, are you also happy with the short duration of election campaigns?

For those outside of Canada, do you think that your own electoral cycle is too long, too short, just fine?

Thank you
I'm American, and yes we have incredibly long election cycles, at least at the presidential level. I remember John Oliver doing a segment where he discussed how comparatively short elections for heads of state were in countries like the UK. Not surprised that it's similar in Canada. The US seems to be unique with our long election cycles.

https://www.npr.org/sections/itsall...ds-us-that-american-elections-are-much-longer

Subservient? lol

US: "Canada, will you join the coalition of the willing and invade Iraq with us?"
Canada: "No."
Canada participated in the invasion of Iraq. But on a small scale. They tried to have it both ways.

I'm American, and yes we have incredibly long election cycles, at least at the presidential level. I remember John Oliver doing a segment where he discussed how comparatively short elections for heads of state were in countries like the UK. Not surprised that it's similar in Canada. The US seems to be unique with our long election cycles.

https://www.npr.org/sections/itsall...ds-us-that-american-elections-are-much-longer
I expect that's because it's a lucrative business.

It's not like voting for your local MP means anything anymore.

They just vote according to party lines, or else, these days
I disagree because of personal experience. And that is why I decline to comment on your meme. 'Nuff said. Have a nice evening.

I respectfully disagree.

By the time anyone in government took Covid seriously it was March 2020, and Covid was already everywhere at that point.

Studies show that even strict social distancing and mask use at best reduces, but does not eliminate, spread. Doesn't get it down low enough to eliminate, certainly.

The best bet for getting rid of it was the vaccines, but they are leaky, and it looks like people are going to need boosters to keep the immune response up.

Even New Zealand and Australia, which are the most successful western nations re keeping covid out, are seeing more cases now. Unless you commit to autarky and close your borders (only really possible for island nations), Covid is here to stay.

If public health measures worked to get rid of covid, and if it was a matter of moral blame that can attach to some group, you would expect someone in the world to have eliminated Covid, but the truth of the matters is once it was allowed to spread in the community beyond a couple of cases, Covid was here to stay. We don't actually have tools that can eliminate it.
I respectfully term your disagreement a silly thing. First, I never said it was possible to eliminate spread. The issue is uncontrolled spread.

The link between permitting uncontrolled spread of COVID--say, by ending lockdowns before you've eliminated community spread, or barring mask mandates, or discouraging vaccine uptake, or ignoring physical distancing recommendations--and the emergence of new variants, such as the "delta" and "mu" that lessen the effectiveness of the measures above, is very clear. Things are far worse than they needed to be because of it, so yeah, it's a moral failing due to the deliberate encouragement of ignorance involved.

Compare Atlantic Canada with Alberta and then tell me again you respectfully disagree. The breakouts in places like New Zealand and Australia can almost certainly also be traced to these new variants.

We eliminated uncontrolled spread before opening up and now outbreaks--which we understand clearly to be inevitable and which have occurred several times already--are manageable in terms of contact tracing and quarantine so that escape into the community in an uncontrolled way is very unlikely. Had everyone else done the same, like in Australia and New Zealand, instead of bullshit like partially reopening when community spread wasn't under control and pretending it was good for the economy, like Ontario, Manitoba, Saskatchewan, most of the US, Brazil, etc., we might not be dealing with such dangerous variants as are in the wild today. There still hasn't been a single death from COVID in PEI--knock on wood and the only way it will be remotely likely is if places like Florida, Texas, and Alberta incubate something even worse or if people are grossly irresponsible.

We burned down the white house.
And look at how pathetic you’ve become.
If it wasn’t for the United States you would have had your shit pushed in by the Russians long ago.
Sit the fuck down.

The minimum duration is probably required to get the polling stations and staffing organized. I doubt you can go shorter than 36 weeks or it would be a shitshow. Thus election will be a total shitshow at the polling stations. Guaranteed understaffed and probably a big turnout.
36 days, not weeks, but yes, that is likely part of it.

I prefer that normally the parlaimentarian system produces technocrats, who are just better at running things.

Between Castro Jr and BoJo, we are trying to catch up the underpants with their populists though.

Didn't lose territory to the British, and got them to stop supporting the Natives, allowing for further expansion westwards.....seems like a win to me.

Got succesfully blockaded from trading with France, literally the reason for the war starting. Got succesfully repelled from trying to 'Manifest Destiny' into Canada. Had DC burned to the ground.

All whilst fighting Napoleon at the same time.

Just take the L like a man.

And look at how pathetic you’ve become.
If it wasn’t for the United States you would have had your shit pushed in by the Russians long ago.
Sit the fuck down.
Get help dude, imagine taking a comment so personal that you need to express yourself in this manner. Oh my, you so tough jefferz.

My favorite part is at the end, you know, when I start getting fucked in the ass.
Lame how barely anything at all changes, at least we have legalization of marijuana but the crooked queers don't want you to make a living off that either, unless it's in a governemnt facility, heavily taxed.

Get help dude, imagine taking a comment so personal that you need to express yourself in this manner. Oh my, you so tough jefferz.

Nah, I'm just tired of Canadians running their mouths.

Is it the part where all parties support democracy?

Back