Elections My favourite characteristic of Canadian elections

I am not endorsing the stratagem nor the election call. It just occurred to me in the moment it may have been a factor in their thinking in as much as if people make the connection between the Conservatives and the situation in Alberta (for example) even some conservatives may be swayed. But I agree that not only did they miscalculate in calling the election in the first place, they have appear to have badly miscalculated by not having a clear and concise answer prepared when asked for the reason for the call. But funky stuff happens in an election. Pretty much everyone here who is against Trudeau predicted an epic Liberal loss in the last election.

I have to say, I actually still think the Liberals would do the best job for Canada if they were to win, but it would be pretty funny if Trudeau Elizabeth May'd himself right out of office.

So, the CBC just played a clip of Trudeau saying, do you think Jason Kenney sitting across from Erin O'Toole is the way out of the pandemic?

I'm not sure how hard this was to predict, but it seemed evident to me that Kenney at some point would have to reverse his idiotic policy,
Alberta to launch proof-of-vaccination program, declares health emergency amid surge in COVID-19 cases
and that Trudeau's campaign would seize on this reversal to hammer home the aforementioned connection to the rest of Canada.

I don't know how much difference that will make in the vote, but it sure as hell won't hurt at a time when the two parties are polling within the margin of error. Speaking of the polls--if they're accurate--it looks to me like neither Conservatives nor Liberals can govern without the support of the NDP so a Conservative minority government would be entertaining--and brief.

tl;dr My prognostication game continues to be on point.

So, the CBC just played a clip of Trudeau saying, do you think Jason Kenney sitting across from Erin O'Toole is the way out of the pandemic?

I'm not sure how hard this was to predict, but it seemed evident to me that Kenney at some point would have to reverse his idiotic policy,
Alberta to launch proof-of-vaccination program, declares health emergency amid surge in COVID-19 cases
and that Trudeau's campaign would seize on this reversal to hammer home the aforementioned connection to the rest of Canada.

I don't know how much difference that will make in the vote, but it sure as hell won't hurt at a time when the two parties are polling within the margin of error. Speaking of the polls--if they're accurate--it looks to me like neither Conservatives nor Liberals can govern without the support of the NDP so a Conservative minority government would be entertaining--and brief.

tl;dr My prognostication game continues to be on point.

I think it was @GoldenWolf87 who predicted this was going to happen a little while ago. This is nothing new. Trudeau and the CBC are constantly using fear-mongering about the conservatives to win votes. Jason Kenny has been blamed for all of Canada's problems since he was elected.

I'm pretty sure the liberals saw how bad shit was about to get because of their actions in the last 6 years and decided to hold an election during a pandemic for that reason. Their stock was probably going to go way down in the next 6 months as the country nosedives and they realized they had to call it now because it will be way worse odds of getting votes later.
What makes you think the country will nosedive? Well, to rephrase, if it weren't for fucking up the response to the 4th wave in places like Alberta and Saskatchewan--compare with Manitoba--what else would be causing the country to nosedive that would be the fault of the last 6 years of Liberal government? Can you point to anything specific?

By all accounts, and I mean all accounts, not just a selection of biased sources, the economy was set to boom as pent up demand coming out of the pandemic flooded the marketplace with cash. What evidence do you have that this prediction by pretty much every economist everywhere would be wrong (again, assuming the 4th wave COVID response were more consistent across the nation)?

I think it was @GoldenWolf87 who predicted this was going to happen a little while ago. This is nothing new. Trudeau and the CBC are constantly using fear-mongering about the conservatives to win votes. Jason Kenny has been blamed for all of Canada's problems since he was elected.
He predicted Kenney would have to reverse his stupid policy after fucking up the response to the pandemic and that Trudeau would use it to attack by connecting him to O'Toole? Good for him. Disagree on the latter two sentences but I'm going to leave it at that.

"Without interventions, Kenney said, Alberta hospitals may run out of staff and intensive care beds within the next 10 days.

Right now, Alberta has more than 18,000 active cases — the most of any province. On Wednesday, there were 877 people in hospital with the illness, including 218 in intensive care. By contrast, Ontario, with a population more than three times Alberta's had 346 in hospital, with 188 in intensive care."

He predicted Kenney would have to reverse his stupid policy after fucking up the response to the pandemic and that Trudeau would use it to attack by connecting him to O'Toole? Good for him. Disagree on the latter two sentences but I'm going to leave it at that.

He predicted that Trudeau would compare O'Toole to Kenney and basically say O'Toole would lead Canada through covid the same way Kenney has. Isn't that what Trudeau and the CBC have always done? They say: "If you want Canada to look like Kenney's Alberta or Ford's Ontario, then vote for the conservatives and be very, very afraid."

What makes you think the country will nosedive? Well, to rephrase, if it weren't for fucking up the response to the 4th wave in places like Alberta and Saskatchewan--compare with Manitoba--what else would be causing the country to nosedive that would be the fault of the last 6 years of Liberal government? Can you point to anything specific?

By all accounts, and I mean all accounts, not just a selection of biased sources, the economy was set to boom as pent up demand coming out of the pandemic flooded the marketplace with cash. What evidence do you have that this prediction by pretty much every economist everywhere would be wrong (again, assuming the 4th wave COVID response were more consistent across the nation)?

Don't forget BC. They blow Saskatchewan out of the water currently.
But I wasn't even factoring in covid right now.

Inflation due to relentless money printing. Cost of living, housing and rental costs spiraling more and more out of control since Trudeau has been in office before covid was even a thing. Healthcare already had cracks in every province. Covid just made them very apparent.

Have you seen the prices of meat and a lot of other items at the grocery store lately? It's going up 8% every month. Maybe it's different in PEI.

Don't forget BC. They blow Saskatchewan out of the water currently.
But I wasn't even factoring in covid right now.

Inflation due to relentless money printing. Cost of living, housing and rental costs spiraling more and more out of control since Trudeau has been in office before covid was even a thing. Healthcare already had cracks in every province. Covid just made them very apparent.

Have you seen the prices of meat and a lot of other items at the grocery store lately? It's going up 8% every month. Maybe it's different in PEI.
You're going to have to put in some work here if you want to convince me that lies solely at the feet of the Trudeau Liberals. You can start by demonstrating none of it has anything to do with knock on effects of the Harper years. Then you can help me understand what makes you think the Conservatives would have taken stronger action over the last 6 years on the housing situation, and what the Liberals should do about the hoarding of money during the pandemic which is seeing huge amounts of liquidity being removed from the economy due to there being no place to spend it--other than in real estate, ironically.

After we get through all that and down to brass tacks you can have a go at what is false about his claims regarding debt to GDP ratio given the broad agreement with it among economists here and abroad.

Or you can call me cunty and self-righteous if you want. I'm getting that a lot lately.

The wind up is just the start. You still have rubes crying about election fraud and thinking trump is coming back.
Trudeau will win his minority govt again and stay in power long before people in the US stop crying about the 2020 election.
Other countries, I’m not so sure about.

He predicted that Trudeau would compare O'Toole to Kenney and basically say O'Toole would lead Canada through covid the same way Kenney has. Isn't that what Trudeau and the CBC have always done? They say: "If you want Canada to look like Kenney's Alberta or Ford's Ontario, then vote for the conservatives and be very, very afraid."
All I heard was the factual claim that Kenney endorsed O'Toole and not long ago O'Toole praised Kenney's handling of the pandemic, followed by the obvious question about what other things they agree on. It's hardly the same as some of the attack ads being run.

All I heard was the factual claim that Kenney endorsed O'Toole and not long ago O'Toole praised Kenney's handling of the pandemic, followed by the obvious question about what other things they agree on. It's hardly the same as some of the attack ads being run.
Trudeau needs to jump on this now. Also, use Obama’s tweet today as an endorsement. Canadians love Barack.

Well, the UCP shit the bed hard in Alberta on covid. I wonder what impact this may have on the federal election here, if the liberals or NDP will be able to steal any CPC seats on the basis of just lumping the federal and provincial conservatives into one.

@HumanSadness follow up to the previous post since it's a different topic:

No, it isn't what they have always done but for quite a long time it was true that Alberta=conservative politics in Canada, whether that is the case right now or not. Do you remember the Reform Party, followed by the change of name from Progressive Conservative to Conservative, followed by 12 years of Stephen Harper, a man who never worked a regular job outside politics in his whole life? Do you remember that his first action as PM was to scrap the daycare program that everyone is looking for right now? It's not hyperbole to demonstrate to Canadians that the Conservatives have not strayed far from that place during Trudeau's tenure.

About the CBC, no I don't agree they are biased in their coverage of politics, but I listen to CBC Radio a lot more than I watch the TV network, so that might make a difference, but I have not seen that on the occasions I watch either. They have had each leader on TV for long form interviews over the last few days and they were just as hard on him as the others. They didn't appear to hesitate to show the video of the 100 year old woman saying she thought the election was a big mistake because of the pandemic. Over and over and over and over and over. They showed the same clip at least 4 times in 15 minutes just during the bit I watched the day after Trudeau's controversial rally.

Yeah, but it kinda matters who wins.

For example,

O'Toole wins:

iu

Trudeau wins:
iu

Singh wins:

iu

Paul wins:

iu
<{anton}>

You're going to have to put in some work here if you want to convince me that lies solely at the feet of the Trudeau Liberals. You can start by demonstrating none of it has anything to do with knock on effects of the Harper years. Then you can help me understand what makes you think the Conservatives would have taken stronger action over the last 6 years on the housing situation, and what the Liberals should do about the hoarding of money during the pandemic which is seeing huge amounts of liquidity being removed from the economy due to there being no place to spend it--other than in real estate, ironically.

After we get through all that and down to brass tacks you can have a go at what is false about his claims regarding debt to GDP ratio given the broad agreement with it among economists here and abroad.

Or you can call me cunty and self-righteous if you want. I'm getting that a lot lately.
I don't really need to do anything. I already voted. You vote how you want.

I've gone into great detail in several threads on Trudeau's pre Covid spending that I wasn't fond of and how it would bite us a few years down the road. His record number of scandals involving getting his family kickbacks and $250000 fees for "speaking at dinners" on top of everything just shows his corruption and folks seem willing to ignore it.

Yup its not like its the first time the problem with JT and Libs. They always blame others for their own failures and problems during the debate among all the people and issues JT mentioned and get blaming Harper.

Its 2021 and really the Libs are focusing on Harper again? maybe someone should explain what was the point of voting if they Libs and JT failed to do anything to remove the HST tax? like i said i regret voting for the libs a few years back.

Back