Elections My favourite characteristic of Canadian elections

My question, is who will be the one to eat shit when none of this works and all we have to show for it are draconian laws and a segregated society?
It will only stop when people push back peacefully.

What makes you think the country will nosedive? Well, to rephrase, if it weren't for fucking up the response to the 4th wave in places like Alberta and Saskatchewan--compare with Manitoba--what else would be causing the country to nosedive that would be the fault of the last 6 years of Liberal government? Can you point to anything specific?

By all accounts, and I mean all accounts, not just a selection of biased sources, the economy was set to boom as pent up demand coming out of the pandemic flooded the marketplace with cash. What evidence do you have that this prediction by pretty much every economist everywhere would be wrong (again, assuming the 4th wave COVID response were more consistent across the nation)?

15 years and counting of shitty economic policies have led to government, corporate, and personal debt to GDP levels which are unsustainable. Additionally, those same policies have resulted in large cost of living increases which are far in excess of income. Any "economic boom" is transitory since it's based on consumer spending on disposable goods, the vast majority of which aren't even made in Canada, there is no lasting benefit for the people in terms of wage growth or purchasing power, nor does it balance the government budget and give them the space to put in the spending that actually invests in the long term prosperity of our nation.

Anyone who claims that we had a potential economic boom coming out of covid is a corporate shill who's talking their book.

15 years and counting of shitty economic policies have led to government, corporate, and personal debt to GDP levels which are unsustainable. Additionally, those same policies have resulted in large cost of living increases which are far in excess of income. Any "economic boom" is transitory since it's based on consumer spending on disposable goods, the vast majority of which aren't even made in Canada, there is no lasting benefit for the people in terms of wage growth or purchasing power, nor does it balance the government budget and give them the space to put in the spending that actually invests in the long term prosperity of our nation.

Anyone who claims that we had a potential economic boom coming out of covid is a corporate shill who's talking their book.
Have a look at the stats regarding the amount of money Canadians have added to their savings in the last 18 months and then come at me again as though you have some idea what you're talking about. We experienced a mini version of what I am talking about in the interim between the first and second wave. It's not a guess or speculation. I invite you to produce evidence to the contrary. Instead, I am predicting more ad hominem devoid of fact or data because that's all your lot can concoct in light of being completely wrong.
do-it-come-on.gif

Have a look at the stats regarding the amount of money Canadians have added to their savings in the last 18 months and then come at me again as though you have some idea what you're talking about. We experienced a mini version of what I am talking about in the interim between the first and second wave. It's not a guess or speculation. I invite you to produce evidence to the contrary. Instead, I am predicting more ad hominem devoid of fact or data because that's all your lot can concoct in light of being completely wrong.

And all those savings didn't even put a dent in household debt, nevermind the government & corporate side.
https://www.ceicdata.com/en/indicator/canada/household-debt--of-nominal-gdp

I wonder if the short nature of the election makes it more prone to be swayed by last-minute elements such as candidates making important promises e.g. freebies. In the US people get to stew over their choice over almost 2 years including the primaries, with many different elements repeatedly being presented to them over that length of time, so that when voting day arrives they presumably already have a cristallised position and are less likely to be swayed by last minute grand declarations. In Canada it's over in a blink of an eye if you're not paying attention, which most people aren't, and it makes sense that you could be swayed much more easily since you haven't even had the chance to think over your choice.

Lol, hasn't O'Toole stated multiple times that he's for vaccine passports. CBC is activating campaign fear.
No. He commented recently he approves of Kenney's methods,

He thinks the federal conservatives can learn a lot from it lol

No. He commented recently he approves of Kenney's methods,

He thinks the federal conservatives can learn a lot from it lol

This is what he said recently:

O’Toole promises to implement national proof of COVID-19 vaccination system

O’Toole says he would work with provinces to devise a national proof-of-vaccination system, adding such a setup would help Canadians during international travel.

O’Toole says he wants 90 per cent of eligible residents vaccinated against COVID-19, and is pledging to cover the cost of time off for employees to get a shot, free transportation to vaccine clinics and a national booster shot strategy that would initially target seniors and the immunocompromised.

If the cons could find a liberal more crooked than Trudeau to compare to, maybe they could come up with the same type of ad. Too bad Justin will be that comparator for future elections when he is gone.

The liberals really don't think much of their voters if they think this will work.

This is what he said recently:

O’Toole promises to implement national proof of COVID-19 vaccination system

O’Toole says he would work with provinces to devise a national proof-of-vaccination system, adding such a setup would help Canadians during international travel.

O’Toole says he wants 90 per cent of eligible residents vaccinated against COVID-19, and is pledging to cover the cost of time off for employees to get a shot, free transportation to vaccine clinics and a national booster shot strategy that would initially target seniors and the immunocompromised.
In fairness, I saw this only after I posted immediately above. In response, I offer you this, also from Global News,
Canada election: O’Toole repeatedly dodges questions about Alberta’s reverse-course
Speaking to reporters on Thursday, Conservative Party of Canada leader Erin O’Toole dodged repeated questions regarding his previous statements of support for Alberta Premier Jason Kenney’s approach to COVID-19 in his province, in light of Kenney’s near-complete reversal of course Wednesday and admission he was “wrong” to reopen the province completely.

I'm not sure how long the video is but you only need to listen to the very beginning. He won't acknowledge it because that will piss off other conservatives who still think Kenney was right before he reversed himself--even after he reversed himself. And yes I know that sounds insane but a fair few of those people exist.

If the cons could find a liberal more crooked than Trudeau to compare to, maybe they could come up with the same type of ad. Too bad Justin will be that comparator for future elections when he is gone.

The liberals really don't think much of their voters if they think this will work.
Please see above. It's already working. And please note that I am not condoning this approach, merely commenting on it in the most objective manner I can as a political strategy. That in and of itself strikes me as ironic given right-wingers' incredible efforts to politicize a public health issue.

Please see above. It's already working. And please note that I am not condoning this approach, merely commenting on it in the most objective manner I can as a political strategy. That in and of itself strikes me as ironic given right-wingers' incredible efforts to politicize a public health issue.
Hey, there are tonnes of idiots in the world. Identity politics seems to be pandering to the ones that live in cities and think their lives are the ones to we should all strive to have. Rural Canada gets fucked every time.

In fairness, I saw this only after I posted immediately above. In response, I offer you this, also from Global News,
Canada election: O’Toole repeatedly dodges questions about Alberta’s reverse-course
Speaking to reporters on Thursday, Conservative Party of Canada leader Erin O’Toole dodged repeated questions regarding his previous statements of support for Alberta Premier Jason Kenney’s approach to COVID-19 in his province, in light of Kenney’s near-complete reversal of course Wednesday and admission he was “wrong” to reopen the province completely.

I'm not sure how long the video is but you only need to listen to the very beginning. He won't acknowledge it because that will piss off other conservatives who still think Kenney was right before he reversed himself--even after he reversed himself. And yes I know that sounds insane but a fair few of those people exist.

I don't know why politicians act like that. O'Toole could of just said he was in agreement with what Kenney decided to do at the beginning of summer, but given the current circumstances he has decided to take a different direction. Most people don't care about someone changing their views if they have a reasonable explanation as to why they changed their mind. Politicians being a little more honest and transparent about why they made a mistake or changed their mind will probably win more people over.

When the winner smiles, shrugs and tell their opponent “sorrie!”

I don't know why politicians act like that. O'Toole could of just said he was in agreement with what Kenney decided to do at the beginning of summer, but given the current circumstances he has decided to take a different direction. Most people don't care about someone changing their views if they have a reasonable explanation as to why they changed their mind. Politicians being a little more honest and transparent about why they made a mistake or changed their mind will probably win more people over.
In that post I explained that. The proof of the pudding is in the making. O'Toole couldn't say that because he is counting on support from people who would turn on him if he said that. The people showing up at hospitals to protest against nurses going to the very limit of their ability to handle the overtime don't give a shit that Kenney has changed his mind.

What are you talking about? Your own source shows debt declined in the last quarter. Your source does fail to indicate whom is incurring said debt, whether it's among the wealthy or poor or somewhere in between.

Went down by 0.5%...after going up by 10%. We're gonna spend our way out of this one boys!

Back