My knees after open mat (WARNING: GROSS)

Lifeform

Donk Donkerson
Banned
Reaction score
Hi guys

I went to an Open Mat in my city the other day.
https://ibb.co/g7cQKyZ
https://ibb.co/d6p3V5T

I haven't rolled in about 3 months, I then did the open mat which was non stop sparring for 2 hours.

The next day my knees were extremely spotty and gross, all the hairs on my knees have turned into painful spots and I also have a rash on my inner thigh and a bit on my wrist.

I was wearing shorts and a short sleeve top when I roll.

I used to train a lot at this place but always suffered from itchy skin afterwards, unless I trained there literally every single day. As soon as I took a break for a few days the itching would come back.

It has been 4 days now and my knees are still itchy sore and gross.

They use this type jigsaw style mat and from my own thoughts it is likely that a lot of dirt would get trapped in the porous surface of the mat

91UUSlOsqnL._SL1500_.jpg

Just wondering what you guys think? I would say I am "cleaner" than most people and use a loafer to exfoliate when I shower so I don't know if my skin is just freaking out because suddenly it is crazy dirty and dirty and sweat are being hammered into my pores.

Also I was thinking that Dolamur/Zebra or sheer mat surfaces like that are better because they are non porous and dirt does not get trapped in them the same way.

Thanks!

Hi guys

I went to an Open Mat in my city the other day.
https://ibb.co/g7cQKyZ
https://ibb.co/d6p3V5T

I haven't rolled in about 3 months, I then did the open mat which was non stop sparring for 2 hours.

The next day my knees were extremely spotty and gross, all the hairs on my knees have turned into painful spots and I also have a rash on my inner thigh and a bit on my wrist.

I was wearing shorts and a short sleeve top when I roll.

I used to train a lot at this place but always suffered from itchy skin afterwards, unless I trained there literally every single day. As soon as I took a break for a few days the itching would come back.

It has been 4 days now and my knees are still itchy sore and gross.

They use this type jigsaw style mat and from my own thoughts it is likely that a lot of dirt would get trapped in the porous surface of the mat

91UUSlOsqnL._SL1500_.jpg

Just wondering what you guys think? I would say I am "cleaner" than most people and use a loafer to exfoliate when I shower so I don't know if my skin is just freaking out because suddenly it is crazy dirty and dirty and sweat are being hammered into my pores.

Also I was thinking that Dolamur/Zebra or sheer mat surfaces like that are better because they are non porous and dirt does not get trapped in them the same way.

Thanks!

There are accounts of the Vietnam War that tell the history of soldiers who were crawling inside of underground tunnels while they were eating MOLDY rice and trying to avoid all types of species from crawling anywhere around (and inside) them.

There are legends of soldiers at the Battle of Thermopylae that experienced their own spears breaking in front of them. Therefore, those soldiers had to MURDER everyone that they saw WITHOUT any weapons.

During the 1840s, the Donner-Reed Party may or may not have actually resorted to cannibalism because they were trapped in blizzards while making a gargantuan journey. Unless I'm mistaken, the Donner-Reed Party were all CIVILIANS.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Donner_Party

Approaching_Omaha.jpg

Scene_of_the_Battle_of_the_Thermopylae.jpg

The mat doesn’t help but it’s not the mat. They are either aren’t cleaning the mats very well or are using some other type of chemical you are allergic too. Seeing as how you are itchy I’m going to guess the former though.

Invest in some spats and long sleeves and change after class. Some people carry an alcohol spray and shoot themselves down with it. I’d say 9 parts water and 1 part alcohol with the 98% bottle you get at drug stores would be good without drying out your skin.

Btw I hate rolling on those mats. They are hard and have way too much grip. They are great for stand up training though

I'm not an expert, but don't you want to be careful exfoliating too much since it could actually open skin up, thus allowing bacteria or junk to enter? I had listened to one of Chewjitsu's podcasts way back when he had a biologist / doctor on. He emphasized the best things you can do as an individual to protect your skin in grappling are showering within a short window of time after training, if at all possible, and using a gentle soap that does not irritate the skin.

I second the recommendation above for spats. I mostly only roll in the gi, but even then I wear a rashguard. Just seems more hygienic to keep skin covered.

does it smell like bleach in there? if they're over-concentrating their mat cleaner it'll leave a precipitate as it evaporates. makes sense it'd irritate your skin.

Thanks guys will look at getting some spats!

For me it doesn't looks alergic reaction, so another mentioned there option.
The mat doesn’t help but it’s not the mat. They are either aren’t cleaning the mats very well or are using some other type of chemical you are allergic too.

I'm not an expert, but don't you want to be careful exfoliating too much since it could actually open skin up, thus allowing bacteria or junk to enter?

This.

I've just finished battling staph infection. It's taken me months to get rid of (please, dear Jesus, let it be finally gone). The antibiotics for it also resulted in a few bouts of fungal infections. It has been so fucking frustrating.

Something I've learned from these months of frustration is that I was being too overactive in my hygiene routine. I always showered before and after training, trying to be considerate of my training partners. But showering before training is the worst thing you can do for your skin. It strips your skin of the protective barrier of good bacteria.

TS, if the rash stays for more than a day or two, go get it checked. If it gets out of hand it may take a long time to get rid of.

Also, be careful with scrubbing your skin to aggressively, particularly around your training times.

I had that shit on the top of my shin for months. When checking it out the doctor said it was just irritated and dry so I lubed the spot up and stopped itching and it went away.

Back