My shoulders are killing me!

BJJ_Rage

Gold Belt
@Gold
Reaction score
Anybody has this problem? Started on the right shoulder, now it has spread to the left one, out of the blue, didn’t get in a omoplato or anything, can’t even sleep on either side, cause on the morning this shit hurts like crazy. Did 15 Sessions of therapy, didn’t help, doc says it’s osteoarthritis, not sure though. Anyone having the same problem?

My shoulders get really sore and tight from Muay Thai causing me to tap really early to any shoulder lock in BJJ. The only time my shoulders get tight from BJJ is when we drill pummeling to take downs hard.

Yeah. My issues are a combo of my job and getting my arm trapped fighting off a berimbolo

I have two torn Labrum's and severe dengerative arthritis in both shoulders and my symptoms sound similar to yours. Get an MRI. Docs told me nothing will help short of double shoulder replacements. I make a living off bjj so I'll just live with the pain until I'm old and my kids can run my school

FWIW i tore my labrum and GH ligament in high school. it took two years of PT to get my ROM back and I still have a shitty golf swing, but everything else is great.

I have two torn Labrum's and severe dengerative arthritis in both shoulders and my symptoms sound similar to yours. Get an MRI. Docs told me nothing will help short of double shoulder replacements. I make a living off bjj so I'll just live with the pain until I'm old and my kids can run my school

Damn it... I think the time to hang it up it’s coming... I’m don’t make a dollar out of bjj, hell I spend money since I teach for free...fuck this...

take time off man. making big training decisions when you're hurt and salty isn't a great idea.

you don't have to go 100% five days a week. you don't have to be world champion. if you want to train, train. if you don't, don't. it's a hobby.

Damn it... I think the time to hang it up it’s coming... I’m don’t make a dollar out of bjj, hell I spend money since I teach for free...fuck this...
Sorry to be a bummer. Get it checked out my an orthopedith, hopefully it's not as bad

Can't it be impingement or something? I had it very bad some years ago on my left shoulder and it took a while for me to find a doctor to identify it. Then luckily I had it treated by a good physiotherapist and it went away.

You should get some through exam anyway before draw conclusions..

I got slammed on my ahoulder, luckily it didnt dislocate or tear but i have a hell of a contusion.

Can't it be impingement or something? I had it very bad some years ago on my left shoulder and it took a while for me to find a doctor to identify it. Then luckily I had it treated by a good physiotherapist and it went away.

You should get some through exam anyway before draw conclusions..

I just read about it, I think it could be, changing doctors to get another opinion. tx!

It could be a variety of things.
Have you tried a chiro and mobility wod work with bands?

Someone could have bad movement patterns and high wear, but if they get the right things in their diet and remove the wrong things, the wear would be within their bodies recovery rate limits and they wouldn't notice.

Someone could have bad diet and low total recovery to spend, but if they are assiduous about prehab and stability work, they wouldn't be causing enough damage to tick over their recovery rate and wouldn't notice.

Someone could have bad sleeping hours, and nothing helps this because sleep is the most important factor for optimal human performance improvement and maintenance.

Unless you had imaging done that confirmed it, osteoarthritis is the copout orthopedic diagnosis for joint pain without a history of acute trauma. I'd suspect either tendinitis or nerve impingement as more likely culprits. Get a 2nd opinion :)

Without an MRI it's impossible to say, just "shoulder pain" is too vague.

I got a SLAP lesion thanks too jiu jitsu, and it happened out of nowhere during a competition, can't even tell what I did wrong.

Get a second opinion and some scans done.

I had really bad shoulder pain from a series of injuries (snowboarding and work related stuff). I got physio rehab and it fixed it but was always tender and vulnerable to injury. A while later I ended up getting nerve pain shooting down my arm. Turned out I had a bulged disc in my neck, pressing on some nerves. Shit took MONTHS to fix, with zero training possible. Then, a while later I started to get more nerve pain in the other arm.

I started to really investigate the problems and finally accepted how bad my posture was. I had chronically turned forward shoulders from a lifetime of bad posture, which made those shoulder injuries worse.

I've been working for months now on shoulder mobility and posture. It's helped immeasurably. I realised that my posture had resulted in insane tightness in my neck, chest, shoulders, and down the sides of my torso. I'd also lived basically my whole life with winged shoulder blades (sticking out instead of sitting flat against my back.)

Shoulder focused Yoga and stretches using my belt have completely changed my posture.

Obviously if your issues are more chronic or serious this may not fix it, hence the necessity of a second opinion, but I think that stretching and yoga should be essentially mandatory for bjj practitioners. Well, really, I think EVERYONE should be doing it, but bjj players particularly.

For real... I wonder how much longer can I keep doing this

95 years old, if you’re Helio. And he got his whole shit broke by Kimura back in the day. What excuse do the rest of us have? :p

Seriously though, regardless of anyone’s particular state of things, I strongly recommend a morning & evening routine. 3 shoulder specific movements:

- Big cartwheel circles, 6 reps, each arm, both directions. Don’t worry about speed, go slow. Biggest circles you can make.

- Straighten arms away from your sides, arms locked straight out like an airplane, and do tight little circles, 6 reps forwards, and back.

- Drop dead arms relaxed at your sides. Shrug your shoulders all the way up to your ears, all the way back as much as you can, all the way down (extra down), and all the way forward - then just do big shoulder rolls like that, big circles. 6 times forwards, 6 times backwards.

Do these basic shoulder stretches, right when you get outta bed in the morning, & right before bed at night. Every day. This will help you, regardless of how jacked up you are (and continue to help once you get back to feeling fully functional).

Hope you feel better soon either way

Back