Opinion My Thoughts On Biden's Recent Leadership

DavidsGhost

Purple Belt
@purple
Reaction score
As someone who thought Trump was the worst president in history and someone who makes a conscious effort to not let tribal "feelings" supersede my better judgment, I thought I'd briefly give my thoughts on Biden's performance as a standard to reference. The sky is falling for many, so let's have a look.

On Afghanistan -
Time after time, there appear to be no-brainer decisions that Biden and his administration overlooked. Did he/they intentionally make bad decisions? You would think so given how many times Republicans and some Democrats have called the withdrawal a disgrace. But there were so many unknowns regarding how one action would lead to a flurry of terrible consequences. In this regard, I think there's some observational bias going on. It was by no means a "success", but it probably could have gone much worse.

Still, there were obvious oversights. How could you leave so much machinery? They knew in advance they would be leaving. Could they not have relocated? Sold? Destroyed?

How about leaving troops in place until we are confident, to our best knowledge, everyone is out?

And the list goes on.

On Delta -

This is a bigger issue in my opinion because there are certainly unknowns, but not nearly as many. In fact, we are always able to peek around the corner because we are behind the Eastern world in terms of conditions. Given that, Biden and his admin dropped the ball months ago when they failed to see that what was happening in India would ultimately afflict the States.

Keeping that trend going, where is Biden right now? Regeneron, boosters, rapid testing <= are all powerful tools in reducing the burden here but the Biden admin is not deploying them.

Overall, I give Biden a pretty bad mark when he's under pressure or when he has to deal with surprises. He did decently prior to the pressure. And for comparison's sake, Trump did similarly poorly under the same conditions.

...then you ain't black.

hqdefault.jpg

I think Biden or his administration has done a good job. The unwinding of Afghanistan was never going to be pretty because that 20 year effort was a mess. Biden was much more on the ball and has been handling the pandemic better and setting. Nothing is getting majorly fucked up and I no longer feel like we are on the cusp of a civil war. I think some of you need to really look back and remember that people were openly talking about a civil war being a possibility. I am tired of that and I am perfectly happy with a boring old guy who doesn't antagonize everyone. Maybe, in another era the Biden administration would be considered uninspired and boring but I just wanting boring and uneventful. I don't need some jackass that says he is going to wipe out the pandemic in 4 weeks or wipe out the national debt in 4 years.

On Afghanistan, how do you get rid of someone else's weapons? We're we going to repo the equipment we gave to the afghan govt and leave them unarmed? How would disarming the afghan army have gone over after they fell?

Also we started "getting out" in 2011, so it's fair to say we left troops behind for quite a while. A decade is a good bit of lead time. We had to leave when we did because we negotiated a cease fire with the Taliban that expired on 8/31. If we stayed we had to get back in the war.

On Afghanistan, how do you get rid of someone else's weapons? We're we going to repo the equipment we gave to the afghan govt and leave them unarmed? How would disarming the afghan army have gone over after they fell?

Also we started "getting out" in 2011, so it's fair to say we left troops behind for quite a while. A decade is a good bit of lead time. We had to leave when we did because we negotiated a cease fire with the Taliban that expired on 8/31. If we stayed we had to get back in the war.

The context of leaving troops is during the duration of the withdrawal effort.

But yes, I get your sentiment. It was needed.

It wasn't a cease fire. It was a withdraw. That is what Trump negotiated with the Taliban. I don't know why you are calling it a ceasefire. This is all public record.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/poli...ee1a50-00a2-11ec-87e0-7e07bd9ce270_story.html

I’m pretty damn sure that the only stuff the military left behind was mostly garbage. Most of the stuff you are seeing was acquired from the Afghan army. I’ve even seen reports where they labeled it us military but is clearly from a contract. If the US had to leave behind anything of real value, they would have thermited it. That has nothing to do with Biden either it’s standard practice

As far as COVID goes, you’re wrong. He is employing boosters and there is rapid testing being used. I don’t know a lot about regeneron other than it’s used to treat people with COVID. Not sure if the government can or should try employing it. I bet it’s a lot more expensive than the vaccine though

Mad props to calling out your own on bad decisions

While I applaud Biden for pulling out and applaud him even more for not caving in to the bloodthirsty media who crave war. He, or those in the pentagon and State Department made horrible decisions. Decisions that likely led to the deaths of many.

Would love to see him shitcan the entire top floors of both the pentagon and State Department

If we had just blown up all the equipment and weapons, maybe the Afghans would have fought harder.

The equipment conversation is so dumb and just speaks to how little some of these Monday morning quarterbacks understand about why what was left was and whose it actually was (US or Afghan Army).

Leave troops till everyone was out?

Everyone would have stayed as long as the troops did. They all knew ahead of time the troops were pulling out. Anyone who stayed to see what went down after and didn’t have an exit plan in place was betting on the Afghan army to an extent and that was a poor bet.

What exactly are you proposing the military did? Locate all Americans in Afghanistan before withdrawing and explaining in person how fucked everyone will be once the US pulls out let everyone know to assume the Afghan army will fold immediately? Or force people at gun point to leave first then withdraw?

I think Biden or his administration has done a good job. The unwinding of Afghanistan was never going to be pretty because that 20 year effort was a mess. Biden was much more on the ball and has been handling the pandemic better and setting. Nothing is getting majorly fucked up and I no longer feel like we are on the cusp of a civil war. I think some of you need to really look back and remember that people were openly talking about a civil war being a possibility. I am tired of that and I am perfectly happy with a boring old guy who doesn't antagonize everyone. Maybe, in another era the Biden administration would be considered uninspired and boring but I just wanting boring and uneventful. I don't need some jackass that says he is going to wipe out the pandemic in 4 weeks or wipe out the national debt in 4 years.

think Biden or his administration has done a good job

I am tired of that and I am perfectly happy with a boring old guy who
<LikeReally5><{clintugh}>

Back