NCAA Wrestling

Yes I saw that. I feel bad for the guy, very talented and now he is competing in low rate MMA, where he is getting his finger ripped off.
It doesn't make sense. Khetag has the resume, the multi-dimensional skills, and the connections (Anderson Silva, The Nogs, JDS, etc), him resuming his MMA climb should be getting good attention.

It doesn't make sense. Khetag has the resume, the multi-dimensional skills, and the connections (Anderson Silva, The Nogs, JDS, etc), him resuming his MMA climb should be getting good attention.

He is kind of a man without a country. Wrestling in Canada is nonprofit, and although it does get money from the government, it doesn't get much. Coaches make next to nothing, literally like $4000 a season. He is Russian, but wrestling is so strong in Russia, he would just be another wrestler, he is no Sudalaev etc. He may have connections to Brazilian fighters, but most likely they are going to pay attention to other Brazilian fighters. If he was in the United States, he could probably get a coaching job at a RTC or a college, but he does not have legal status in the US, and the US has plenty of great wrestlers that they could give those jobs to. I have not spoken to him in literally 10 years so I don't know exactly what he is doing, but I imagine he is workiing a regular job, and training part time.

So Joe Rau got screwed over in world team trials finals. Badly and egregiously. The ref was apparently a marine like his opponent. And seemed to always blow whistle when Rau was about to legally score

So Joe Rau got screwed over in world team trials finals. Badly and egregiously. The ref was apparently a marine like his opponent. And seemed to always blow whistle when Rau was about to legally score
That really sucks. I like Rau and his brand of greco. He goes for it.

I am looking forward to the OG Qualifier in Sofia. The weights are mostly stacked. at 57, returning Olympic silver-medallist Rei Higuchi. At 65, Khinchegashvili is out due to a positive COVID test, sadly, but we have Oliver and Bekbulatov. At 74kg, we have the newly crowned European champion from last week, Ossetian import for Slovakia, Taimuraz Salkazanov (World Bronze at 79kg); took out Kentchadze, world silver/U23 gold; Chamizo, 2x World gold, world silver, 4x European gold and Razambek Zhamalov, Individual world cup gold, U23 World and European gold- quite the impressive route to gold imo, Umarpashaev, Kadzhimagomedov etc. There are mostly clear favorites, but it should be fun.

Why are they having Senior Nationals this weekend for Olympic weights?
Last time they held senior nationals in late 2015 and it was a qualifier for the Rio trials. Probably going to function as a qualifier for next years world's. Like it would any other year. Maybe even for this years non-olympic weight world's. Something like, winning at 74 qualifies you for this year's trials at 79.

Jordan Oliver is in the Semi-Finals (vs. Magomedmurad Gadzhiev) and if he wins this, he will qualify for the Olympics.

How do you see him against the top 65kg wrestlers? I don't really see him medalling, maybe he can get lucky. But the top 5 are all better than he is and are all world medallists/champions.

JO has only himself to blame, he wrestled awfully for the majority of this tournament. He had close matches and only wanted to attack near the conclusion of his matches. Not the best of ways to go out.

Quite sad for Salkazanov, he won a stacked European Championships and lost to the European Champion from last year at 79kg.

In unrelated news...

Was listen to flowrestling radio and Sushil Kumar has had quite the fall from grace. Apparently he is on the run in India for murdering another wrestler over what seems to be an eviction notice.

In unrelated news...

Was listen to flowrestling radio and Sushil Kumar has had quite the fall from grace. Apparently he is on the run in India for murdering another wrestler over what seems to be an eviction notice.
Read a couple articles about it.

It does read like a group were evicted from an apartment and that is how Kumar got involved.

I guess this means there is no pause on evictions due to the pandemic in Delhi.

Back