Neck punches

josh345

Brown Belt
@Brown
Reaction score
I was curious do they score for as much damage as a head strike? They definitely shouldn’t. But I see ufc guys landing neck punches all the time and joe will be like :”oh!! Beautiful right hand”. Or some shit.

I think neck strikes are illegal but if it happens accidentally, then it’s ok

They don’t do as much brain damage. Got ground and pounded in my neck once and had a sore throat for a week

They are illegal to do deliberately, but accidents happen. Probably scored as a head shot. But I think you over-complicate scoring.
In Amateur boxing they score landed punches.

In pro boxing and MMA it's just 3 idiots sitting around going "Durrrrrrrr Cormier won that round durrrrrrrrrrrrr"

Last edited:
They're very illegal.
A punch should be to the face or chin, not the neck.

They exist in some TMAs like Wing Chun and Karate as 'chops' but really any strike to the neck can be potentially very damaging and should never be used imo unless facing a weapon, and are not for sport.

Very useful by the way

In russian "hand to hand combat" martial art they teach you to punch at throat same in combat sambo if my memory is correct

Not sure about the legality from sport to sport, but Toma Kuroda recently won a K-1 GP with a cross to the neck, so they are definitely effective

They are illegal to do deliberately, but accidents happen. Probably scored as a head shot. But I think you over-complicate scoring.
In Amateur boxing they score landed punches.

In pro boxing and MMA it's just 3 idiots sitting around going "Durrrrrrrr Cormier won that round durrrrrrrrrrrrr"
they quit punch count scoring in amateur boxing and went over to a 10 point must system as well

It took a whole generation of boxers coming through the amateur system and then getting their asses beat as professionals for people in charge to realize that they need to change it
When did they finally change it. My last AIBA fight would have been like 2012 I think. After that I just fought in unsanctioned bouts on the undercards of pro cards. (For those who don't know unsanctioned just means its not covered by a governed body, it's a real fight with real judges against a real fighter. An unsanctioned bout however you can match an amateur against a pro and it doesn't affect the pros record I think in America this would be similar to a smoker?)

When did they finally change it. My last AIBA fight would have been like 2012 I think. After that I just fought in unsanctioned bouts on the undercards of pro cards. (For those who don't know unsanctioned just means its not covered by a governed body, it's a real fight with real judges against a real fighter. An unsanctioned bout however you can match an amateur against a pro and it doesn't affect the pros record I think in America this would be similar to a smoker?)
The London games were the catalyst, but things officially changed back in 2014. It’s not perfect, we still have a lot of judges who’ve been doing it forever that are influenced by the old rules subconsciously, but it’s loads better for the athletes.

So do neck punches not score as much as normal punches? Occasionally you’ll get a freak neck punch that hurts someone. But usually they don’t hurt as much yes?

So do neck punches not score as much as normal punches? Occasionally you’ll get a freak neck punch that hurts someone. But usually they don’t hurt as much yes?
I think you put too much optimism in how much attention to individual punches a judge will give.
They don't specifically look at scoring punches they look more at ring control, who is going forward more, who is landing with more ease. Things like that. Punch scoring and counting is very low in priority.
For instance - You will see people bring up compubox scores as to why a boxer should have won a fight they lost. In reality compubox is two guys pressing a button each time the fighter they are watching "lands" it can even be a glancing blow that just wipes some sweat off their brow.
A judge however will take into account who is controlling the ring, who is making their opponent miss or who is being the most effective with their aggression.

I think you put too much optimism in how much attention to individual punches a judge will give.
They don't specifically look at scoring punches they look more at ring control, who is going forward more, who is landing with more ease. Things like that. Punch scoring and counting is very low in priority.
For instance - You will see people bring up compubox scores as to why a boxer should have won a fight they lost. In reality compubox is two guys pressing a button each time the fighter they are watching "lands" it can even be a glancing blow that just wipes some sweat off their brow.
A judge however will take into account who is controlling the ring, who is making their opponent miss or who is being the most effective with their aggression.
So it’s pretty subjective then

So it’s pretty subjective then
Nearly 100% subjective if you ask me. You see some wild score cards in some fights and that's why. Like that 117 - 111 in the latest Charlo Fight while the other cards were like 114-113 and 114-114. One judge was watching a completely different fight apparently.

Some bloggers, posters in internet suggest that to punch neck with closed fist is effective thing.
In TMAs and combat type h2h for neck striking are used open hands techniques.
Karate, JJJ classic old etc eastern arts does knows this thing, modern h2h too.
The cons are that you can't spar this normally like in boxing sparring etc real training.
Btw old dirty wrestling in old europe knew some stuff from this, for a reason rules for wrestling had been introduced with statement that small joints locks, strikes with fingers and punches are not allowed etc like stuff.

Punches with closed fist to neck usually happens without any clear intent exactly to do this.

It took a whole generation of boxers coming through the amateur system and then getting their asses beat as professionals for people in charge to realize that they need to change it

Well, the highest difference between am and pro are gloves I think.
AIBA certified gloves are <45><45><45>.

Transition from ams to pros heavily depends from gym and boxer's handlers, manager and boxer's promoter.
You need jump in period and some lets say easy fights.
Even one gym might threat their boxers differently.

One example: gym does have boxer A and boxer B.
Difference between them is that boxer A does have sponsors, boxer B no.
Gym places boxer A for debut fight vs no hoper and for next fight vs mismatched opponent.
Boxer A is threated like this: he had more than 5 pro fights and had been placed with boxer who had competed at 126lbs, still ofc he might have walking around weight 134 lbs at least, therefore he is " suitable " for 135 lbs division pro fight vs prospect. Prospect is a bit more than 144 lbs in the ring on fight night vs 134 lber in the ring.
Everything is cool.
Boxer B doesn't have enough $ behind him and in 2 nd fight should fight vs promoter's boxer in the same promoter's show per se.
$ is every bare thing and gym might place some lad with approx 15 am fights and 1 pro fight under belt vs lad with approx 120 am fights and 7 pro fights under belt for a pro fight.
$ rullz da game, damn, this guy had won this one vs promoter's boxer.

Well, the highest difference between am and pro are gloves I think.
AIBA certified gloves are 454545.
at the last gym I worked at we had a kid getting ready to make his pro debut after a long and extensive amateur run. The first time he laced up a pair of 8oz, pro style gloves he looked at us coaches and said, “I need to work on my defense”. Lol

kid went on to be 3-0 before Rona shut down his momentum

Back