Need advice for first equipment.

TheBeardedOne

White Belt
Reaction score
So, my father in law brought me to the Superman Stevenson fight last weekend, and I got hooked. I've been looking for a workout to complement my road cycling for over a year now and I'm now set on boxing (heavybags, in my basement).

I looked around this forum and I've seen many reviews of gloves and punching bags (I like angle, but can't seem to get my hands on one that ships to Montreal without a shipping fee that would require me to sell my car) but many of them are outdated and I can't find a definite answer.

So, in your opinion, what gloves should I be getting for under 100$? And do you have any suggestions when it comes to heavybags?

Thanks

I know Rival, GFG, are all Canadian based brands, maybe check with them if you don't want to pay insane shipping costs.

Hayabusa runs north of 100 so im not sure if youd consider bumping up your budget some.

Title has great heavy bags imo, but again, I think it would be best to actually ask someone from Canada as I live in the US. Sorry I couldn't help out on the Heavybag area. :(

Bonjour. I am in Montreal, muaythaifighting.com ship here. all top quality stuff. Where do you train?

Sorry, basement. I should read more carefully. You should come to LeClub in Beaconsfield. Muay Thai and BJJ with Canadian Top Team. Hossein the instructor is excellent.

I'm jealous you were able to see the Stevenson/Cloud fight live. Stevenson definitely staked his claim as the Light Heavyweight king. I wanna see him fight Pascal or Kavaloff next.

Glove-wise, start with TITLE. They have a wide selection of gloves for every experience level and you can get a decent pair of leather training gloves without having to break the bank. I would suggest not going overboard with your first pair in terms of price.

GFG is supposed to be very good, but they're a little pricey (maybe they're cheaper in Canada). I'm not a fan of Rival. I had their Elite bag gloves and they were fairly mediocre for $90. Their sparring gloves, the Rs1s I believe, have a good reputation but cross that bridge when you get there.

Yeah, joing this guys gym. They should be able to help you out. On another note, dont buy your gear at the gym, use thier stuff, find what you like then buy it on ebay.

Yeah, joing this guys gym. They should be able to help you out. On another note, dont buy your gear at the gym, use thier stuff, find what you like then buy it on ebay.

I looked it up. It's not a boxing club, it's closer to a private tennis club than a real gym.

I don't want to recommend US brands as youll pay out the ass for shipping, hopefully someone can help you with getting a pair of great gloves

Back