Need advice on sights and attachments choice

Robocok

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
I have a glock 17 and want to do a couple basic upgrades to it. Budget is kind of tight right now but I would rather spend more to do something right the first time even if it means I only do one upgrade for now.

First, sights

I was thinking of either going with the tru glo tridium sights or a red dot system. The red dot system looks a little goofy to me. I prefer that the truglo is a more traditional and minimalist ironsight style though I've heard the red dot system allows you to aim very fast so maybe it's worth it(?).

Tritium sights?
s-l500.jpg

GLOCK-42-8.jpg

Or

Red dot sights?
R6779-9mm-Glock-G19-MOS-Review-2.jpg

Next question is to add red laser, flashlight, or both?

I'm kind of leaning towards either/or. Then the question is how much to spend?

The surefire is nice, but is it necessary to spend so much? The red laser is cheaper and pretty awesome too

Light? ($200+ for the surefire x300)
20210509_173602.jpg

Or

Laser? (Only $80 for the viridian laser, seems to be decent quality)
20210509_173617.jpg

I also eventually want to remove the finger grooves and material around the trigger guard, maybe rebevel.

Is it just me, or does the red dot sight look a little goofy the way it sticks up compared to the irons?

20210509_175439.jpg

63869-DEFAULT-l.jpg

I think I'm leaning towards the tritium pro and the viridian red laser. They're affordable, will be significantly better than stock, and don't stick out or look bulky and out of place on the gun. I guess the question is whether or not I'll ever regret not having a good light on there.

For sure the first upgrade has to be sights, right?

Feeling like an 80s super villain with my red laser

maxresdefault-7.jpg

tenor-58.gif

I think I'm leaning towards the tritium pro and the viridian red laser. They're affordable, will be significantly better than stock, and don't stick out or look bulky and out of place on the gun. I guess the question is whether or not I'll ever regret not having a good light on there.

For sure the first upgrade has to be sights, right?

So for the red dot you would have to get the slide milled unless you have a mos model. A milled slide the dot will sit lower. Some people don't like red dots on pistols, I do.

Quality light, no laser. Surefire or streamlight if you need a more budget conscious option.

As far as sights that's a very personal thing. I like a thin front sight.

@Robocok

Because I like thinner sights something like the Trijicon HDXR would be my choice

HDXR-ExpandedField_of_View_300_304.jpg

@Robocok

Because I like thinner sights something like the Trijicon HDXR would be my choice

HDXR-ExpandedField_of_View_300_304.jpg
I noticed that you can buy just the front post. Do people do a front post only? Can you combine red dot with a trijicon post? That doesn't make any sense to me. Probably a dumb question. It seems like you would do one or the other. I'm leaning towards the front and rear trijicon posts, the full set. I like how they don't stick up too much unlike the red dot

I noticed that you can buy just the front post. Do people do a front post only? Can you combine red dot with a trijicon post? That doesn't make any sense to me. It seems like you would do one or the other. I'm leaning towards the front and rear trijicon posts, the full set. I like how they don't stick up too much unlike the red dot

So generally with red dots people will do no sights, have standard sights that you can't see or use with the dot or suppressor height sights that can be cowitnessed. The agency P320 build I'm doing atm has serrated black suppressor sights. I don't want a fiber optic, tritium, color, whatever distracting me from the red dot.

With a quality light any iron sights will be useful enough imo.

So generally with red dots people will do no sights, have standard sights that you can't see or use with the dot or suppressor height sights that can be cowitnessed. The agency P320 build I'm doing atm has serrated black suppressor sights. I don't want a fiber optic, tritium, color, whatever distracting me from the red dot.

With a quality light any iron sights will be useful enough imo.
You mean a quality light that attaches like the surefire? Or are you referring to the glowing tritium in the in the trijicon

You mean a quality light that attaches like the surefire? Or are you referring to the glowing tritium in the in the trijicon

Surefire.

Like inside your house the light spill should be more than enough to see your stock sights.

You should try to find a range where you can test out a red dot sight. An aftermarket slide or getting your stock slide milled isn't cheap and a quality red dot is also pretty expensive.

But when using a red dot I personally don't want to see tritium or fiber optics or even paint on sights. It's why I got serrated black sights.

Last edited:
Surefire.

Like inside your house the light spill should be more than enough to see your stock sights.

You should try to find a range where you can test out a red dot sight. An aftermarket slide or getting your stock slide milled isn't cheap and a quality red dot is also pretty expensive.

But when using a red dot I personally don't want to see tritium or fiber optics or even paint on sights. It's why I got serrated black sights.
It sounds like the red dot is out of my price range. So I'll probably go with the trijicon HDXR set like this to replace the stock sights I have now.

This seems like a good price:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Trijicon-6...-/182488291695?_trksid=p2349624.m46890.l49286

They're $175 on trijicon's website. Hopefully these ones on ebay are authentic. The seller does have a high feedback rating..

As to Red Dot on pistol. I have no experience with them though I want to get one on a pistol someday to play with. If you do it most everyone I know that has one use suppressor height sights so you can still see the irons.

Flashlight vs Laser? Flashlight every goddamn time. Lasers are a gimmick for movies.

It sounds like the red dot is out of my price range. So I'll probably go with the trijicon HDXR set like this to replace the stock sights I have now.

This seems like a good price:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Trijicon-H...-/303756253891?_trksid=p2349624.m46890.l49286

They're $175 on trijicon's website. Hopefully these ones on ebay are authentic. The seller does have a high feedback rating..
Don't buy gun stuff on Ebay or Amazon. The chance for stuff being a shitty Chinese knock off is too damn high.

https://www.brownells.com/handgun-parts/sights/sight-sets/hd-tritium-night-sight-sets-for-glock--prod42614.aspx?avs|Manufacturer_1=trijicon

Tritium HD Trijicon sites on Brownells is $119 but you can only get the red, yellow, or orange one.

I hear yall. No one likes the laser. I would think there would be at least some advantages to use of the laser but ok, flashlight makes sense too.

McNamara, Tim Kennedy, Lucas at TRex arms, GarandThumb, MilSpecMojo... NO ONE that makes their living shooting guns have I ever seen run a laser (not counting the IR ones from like a MAWL). Lovell does in the vid above but I can't tell if he's doing it cause he likes the light it comes with or not.

They tell the bad guy where you are without the advantage of a bright white light blinding said bad guy.

I know SureFire has a set that runs both visible lasers and lights but I have never seen people use them.

Back