Neil Magny vs. Belal Muhammad

Safton

Black Belt
@Black
Reaction score
With Muhammad's recent win over Demian Maia, he has advanced to #9 in the Welterweight division... just below "The Haitian Sensation" Neil Magny, who in turn is coming off an underdog victory over Geoff Neal who holds a win over Belal.

A lot of people are expecting Neil to fight Khamzat on his return, but the truth is there is no official bout agreement. In fact, Magny has said while he's still willing to fight Borz, he is not going to sit around on the sidelines indefinitely for Chimaev's comeback. Given that the date of Khamzat's return is murky at best, why not let Magny and Belal stay active by fighting one another?

Okay, matchmaking talk aside now.

How does the fight go? Who takes it and how?
  • Scenario 1: Three Rounds
  • Scenario 2: Five Rounds

I like Belal to edge a decision via pressure, landing the harder shots, and durability.

I guess I should share my opinion.

Both are fairly well-rounded at this point, both have great gas tanks, both have tremendous volume and fight at a high pace, and neither of them are exactly consummate finishers. I wouldn't want to bet anything on this fight, but if forced to make a pick, I guess I'd pick Neil.

I kinda see Belal struggling with Magny's leg kicks and walking into jabs/front kicks or even that step-in knee of his in between clinch exchange after clinch exchange. I think the story of the fight would be told in the first half in whether Belal is able to impose his will on him in the wrestling department. If he can, then it's Muhammad's fight to lose. He does have more power in his hands, but not enough to matter IMO.

Back