Neo footwork drill

DoctorTaco

Breadhead
@Gold
Reaction score
I hate the term but what ever. Since I’m participating in IKs shit show of a thread again I figured I should probably post something actually related to training.

Eventually I’ll do a whole series on footwork, in the mean time here’s a short clip of a drill I got from CSA and modified to make my own. When you realize the difference between southpaw and orthodox is more about your hips than anything else it opens up some great opportunities for shifting stances. Pay attention to the fighters subtle shifting between southpaw and orthodox:

Some of the movements look a bit similar to the footwork in kali.

I question this guys footwork
he got a black belt in TKD in high school and wrestled too so he’s comfortable out of either stance. I generally don’t let him sit and fight southpaw but he’ll shift back and forth mid combo or to cut guys off in the ring.

What does neo footwork mean? That looks like the basics to me... good job slowing everything down and working on this though. Most people never will, it will pay off in spades if you keep at it.

he got a black belt in TKD in high school and wrestled too so he’s comfortable out of either stance. I generally don’t let him sit and fight southpaw but he’ll shift back and forth mid combo or to cut guys off in the ring.

I question his entire existence

I dont even see him on video

What does neo footwork mean? That looks like the basics to me... good job slowing everything down and working on this though. Most people never will, it will pay off in spades if you keep at it.
it’s a corny term for guys who shift and switch stances as they move and fight. My fighter Lucky is switching stances as he circles, pivots and moves. The whole idea is to go from southpaw to orthodox sneakily and effortlessly

Do you have any baby step drills that you do with a fighter before you lead them do something like this which seems more kind of freeform @DoctorTaco ?

I'm sorry but switching stance is a huge waste of time unless you're ambidextrous.

Do you have any baby step drills that you do with a fighter before you lead them do something like this which seems more kind of freeform @DoctorTaco ?
I do, and the run up is pretty simple. A lot of half steps and different punches and then learning to step and punch from your normal stance in different ways. I’ll work on these drills for the next few videos

I'm sorry but switching stance is a huge waste of time unless you're ambidextrous.
I don’t advocate switching stances (see: spending large chunks of a round or fight in your opposite stance) but I think shifting stances (briefly working from your opposite stance with purpose) helps guys a lot. You can cut people off by shifting, you can get leverage after your lateral movement quicker, or focus on retreating at an angle with good defense

It's good technical boxing footwork, but in MMA its 'neo footwork' because the guys that do it think they re-invented the wheel rather than stumbling on old principles.

None of that is a knock on @DoctorTaco he's just using the term because its easier, and it's a great video

I don’t advocate switching stances (see: spending large chunks of a round or fight in your opposite stance) but I think shifting stances (briefly working from your opposite stance with purpose) helps guys a lot. You can cut people off by shifting, you can get leverage after your lateral movement quicker, or focus on retreating at an angle with good defense
Imo the first thing to do when you're in a southpaw stance for any reason is to go back to your orthodox stance as quickly as possible but to each his own.

Imo the first thing to do when you're in a southpaw stance for any reason is to go back to your orthodox stance as quickly as possible but to each his own.
that’s more or less the idea- shift into that SP stance to throw or counter a few punches before shifting back to orthodox and continuing the dance.

It’s not for everyone, but I tend to get a lot of high level wrestlers to train and they’re comfortable with their right leg forward from years on the mat that way so we can play around with this stuff a little. Same with guys who have extensive TKD experience.

Soviet sport science said that by doing drills in opposite stance you add hugely to your usual one ;).

Soviet sport science said that by doing drills in opposite stance you add hugely to your usual one ;).
Yeah I'm gonna have to call bullshit on this one, dawg. All the time you spend working on a stance you'll never be proficient at anyway could be used to improve your normal stance instead.

Yeah I'm gonna have to call bullshit on this one, dawg. All the time you spend working on a stance you'll never be proficient at anyway could be used to improve your normal stance instead.
there are tons of high level boxers who do things besides throw punches and move their feet in order to become better boxers. Tennis ball drills, that weird math wall thing loma does, 50% of the shit you see Eddie abasolo doing (wall juggling, balance board, soccer ball drills)

you can look at drilling as a southpaw in the same way. It will improve your balance, coordination, target accuracy, and strengthen your mind body connection

There's moments that everyone ends up switched, either because they've been turned or because they're trying to get onto a specific angle for a punch, though, and this kind of thing will help with that

You are forcing my lazy arse into translation of Soviet combat sport textbooks yet again, comrade :mad:. Did you hear about bilateral training method, from volleyball and wrestling?
The prospects of this technique are determined by the following physiological processes occurring in the athlete's body when working in an uncomfortable position for him and an uncomfortable limb: there is a phenomenon of a positive transfer of motor skills from a comfortable position and a comfortable limb to skills in an uncomfortable position and an uncomfortable limb; As the position of the body becomes more complex, regulatory systems attract additional afferentations from other analyzers, or the functioning of the leading analyzer increases, which provides a higher degree of regulation and performance of motor skills

Last edited:
You are forcing my lazy arse into translation of Soviet combat sport textbooks yet again, comrade :mad:. Did you hear about bilateral training method, from volleyball and wrestling?
The prospects of this technique are determined by the following physiological processes occurring in the athlete's body when working in an uncomfortable position for him and an uncomfortable limb: there is a phenomenon of a positive transfer of motor skills from a comfortable position and a comfortable limb to skills in an uncomfortable position and an uncomfortable limb; As the position of the body becomes more complex, regulatory systems attract additional afferentations from other analyzers, or the functioning of the leading analyzer increases, which provides a higher degree of regulation and performance of motor skills

So, that's a concept that makes sense to me, how would you go about training it, because surely there are more efficient ways than switch stance training?

Back