Television New Hulu Show Shogun

Hog-train

Red Belt
@red
Reaction score
Anybody watch this show? It's so far really good. Trailer below.

It's based on a book called Shogun by James Clavell. The story is centered on the real life Tokugawa Ieyasu, who founded the Tokugawa Shogunate, which lasted from the 1600's until the Meiji Restoration in the 19th Century. Ieysau battled all the other Samurai after the death of Toyotomi Hideyoshi, who had united all of Japan under one ruler and tried to invade Korea.

This was also during the time when Portuguese traders had just arrived 40 year prior and England is just starting to push in on Japan and against the Catholics.

The reviews are excellent so far with two episodes out.

The only thing that could potentially be a little lame is the random white guy as one of the main characters. Like some Last Samurai shit where the lone white guy becomes the ultimate hero and of course gets the hottest chick. Even though I liked The Last Samurai, that's a really tired white savior trope.

In Clavell's book, there seems to be some wish fulfillment fetishizing. Because the main character white guy goes around Japan whoring around with underage prostitutes and they all keep talking about his huge penis. Like the whores are trembling for it and this is mentioned multiple times LOL 😂. It's a bit bizarre for it to be constantly mentioned in a story about feudal Japan. Meanwhile, Clavell is an old fat white guy when he wrote the book.

Below the trailer is a video with the real history of this specific time period.

Last edited:
I enjoy watching Shogun

a96c7e27b528602e5907ff8689919519_w200.gif

The only thing that could potentially be a little lame is the random white guy as one of the main characters. Like some Last Samurai shit where the lone white guy becomes the ultimate hero and of course gets the hottest chick. Even though I like Last Samurai, that's a really tired white savior trope.

I saw the trailer and it looked interesting, but I have the same issue as you regarding the a white guy in 1600 Japan being the main hero

Already a massive thread about this
Anyways the show is very mid

Anybody watch this show? It's so far really good. Trailer below.

It's based on a book called Shogun by James Clavell. The story is centered on the real life Tokugawa Ieyasu, who founded the Tokugawa Shogunate, which lasted from the 1600's until the Meiji Restoration in the 19th Century. Ieysau battled all the other Samurai after the death of Toyotomi Hideyoshi, who had united all of Japan under one ruler and tried to invade Korea.

This was also during the time when Portuguese traders had just arrived 40 year prior and England is just starting to push in on Japan and against the Catholics.

The reviews are excellent so far with two episodes out.

The only thing that could potentially be a little lame is the random white guy as one of the main characters. Like some Last Samurai shit where the lone white guy becomes the ultimate hero and of course gets the hottest chick. Even though I like Last Samurai, that's a really tired white savior trope.

In Clavell's book, there seems to be some wish fulfillment fetishizing. Because the main character white guy goes around Japan whoring around with underage prostitutes and they all keep talking about his huge penis. Like the whores are trembling for it and this is mentioned multiple times LOL 😂. It's a bit bizarre for it to be constantly mentioned in a story about feudal Japan. Meanwhile, Clavell is an old fat white guy when he wrote the book.

Below the trailer is a video with the real history of this specific time period.

I thought it seemed weird and then looked it up, turns out John Blackthorne is based on a real guy though.

There's already a thread on it with in depth discussion of the fine naked boobs of the ho. That actress's face is much more attractive than the main actress who was in Monarch on Apple TV+.

The show is decent enough but the English guys voice is just way too weird sounding. He legitimately sounds like a person pretending to do an English Accent.

I'm old enough to remember watching the TV series Shogun in the 80s. I believe it started Richard Chamberlin.

I just looked it up and it was Richard Chamberlin.

I was quite young when the first Shogun series came out but I remember enjoying it. The new series reminds me of the old one but better.

Shōgun (1980 miniseries)​

I’m excited for this but will wait til all episodes are released before getting Hulu back so I can watch at my own pace.

Can't find an app that has the original Shogun. Anyone know where it can be streamed?

Shogun
Solo Leveling
& Tokyo Vice

Currently the 3 best shows airing right now

I read the book in the 90s. I liked Clavells writing style and read noble house and another book I can't remember. I then got into his book King Rat. I started to read more stuff about Japanese treatment of Asians and anyone else during Ww2. Pretty grim stuff.

Based on the stuff I read I realized why Koreans had a hatred of the Japanese.

I'll catch it when all episodes are out. I hate long interruptions between shows now.

Looking forward to it tho.

<DCWhoa>

Back