New to guitar

So I don’t know shit. Stepson wants to learn and I bought him a starter kit. To encourage him I think I’ll learn a bit plus I love rage against the machine and hair bands. What’s a good one to start me out? Google turns up a couple results but I don’t know enough to really get it. Any recommendations from the crowd and mods move wherever.

the ones korn uses
ibanez

So I don’t know shit. Stepson wants to learn and I bought him a starter kit. To encourage him I think I’ll learn a bit plus I love rage against the machine and hair bands. What’s a good one to start me out? Google turns up a couple results but I don’t know enough to really get it. Any recommendations from the crowd and mods move wherever.

practice scales.

get a delay pedal for sure though!

Learned to play this song recently. Very satisfying at my (extremely low) skill level. (I can't properly do the picking part yet at :43... certainly not at the correct speed.)

Learn Stairway to Heaven and play it in the guitar store.

I learned by looking up tabs and stuff first b/c I wanted to be able to play songs I knew. You can and should learn chord theory and all that stuff but you don't have to know it really.

Don't skimp on the guitar (if you can help it) especially the tuners or you'll constantly be having it go out of tune.

Learn Stairway to Heaven and play it in the guitar store.

I learned by looking up tabs and stuff first b/c I wanted to be able to play songs I knew. You can and should learn chord theory and all that stuff but you don't have to know it really.

Don't skimp on the guitar (if you can help it) especially the tuners or you'll constantly be having it go out of tune.

I have some Harley Bentons that were dirt cheap and stay in tune forever with stock tuners.

I have this one. I think it was $200. There are cheaper one's though.

View attachment 946960

Ibanez is a good choice if you're looking to play rock and metal like RATM.

View attachment 946962

the Ibanez RG320EXZ-BKF is a damn good guitar for what your getting

D80F5737-92C0-429B-840E-BC40A11DB1DC.jpg

Pic up the rocksmith game (disk version). If youre on PC you can get the tabs for any song you can think of and learn them while having fun. It’s no substitute for actual lessons though

Attachments

• 30087400-C2D2-4E6A-A8F5-FC22305B06F3.png
    30087400-C2D2-4E6A-A8F5-FC22305B06F3.png
    296.2 KB · Views: 1
the Ibanez RG320EXZ-BKF is a damn good guitar for what your getting

View attachment 947028

Pic up the rocksmith game (disk version). If youre on PC you can get the tabs for any song you can think of and learn them while having fun. It’s no substitute for actual lessons though
Can't go wrong with Ibanez. Wasn't sure how much ts wanted to spend.

Can't go wrong with Ibanez. Wasn't sure how much ts wanted to spend.

they are the GOAT when it comes to cheap/mid range guitars IMO. Once you hit the higher end there is debate but the last ten years or so they have consistently smashed any opposition the other end

Learn barre cords, power chords, the pentatonic major and minor scales, and the natural major and minor scales. These alone will be 90% of what you use in guitar playing.

Don't waste money on a nice guitar. Mass produced cheapo guitars made in China are actually not that bad these days. If you're a beginner, a strat is about the easiest style guitar to play. You can drop $200 on a Squire these days and get a guitar good enough to perform with. It's pretty crazy. Just make sure to get one with a humbucker pickup in the bridge like this if you like rock music.

https://www.amazon.com/Squier-Fende...locphy=9033026&hvtargid=pla-589291307696&th=1

Dont force too much learning too soon. Intermix it with songs as much as possible otherwise its just school. Dont know what the person like but VERY easy to play , I taught it to a friend in 5 minutes who does NOT play guitar, Come as you are - Nirvana, or Heart Shaped Box is very simple., Polly, about a girl, Under the Bridge from Red Hot CP or classics like House of the Rising Sun is awesome for chords and singing along, Yellow led better is beautiful short thing. If you want to practice finger playing just google classic spanish serenades . They are muy boeno, so easy to play and sound beautiful and great practice.

Check out Facebook marketplace. You can find tons of good local deals on used guitars and amps. Guitar is one of those things that 80% of people that start end up losing interest pretty quickly, so you can often get great deals on barely used gear.

Check out Facebook marketplace. You can find tons of good local deals on used guitars and amps. Guitar is one of those things that 80% of people that start end up losing interest pretty quickly, so you can often get great deals on barely used gear.
Also reverb.com

Also reverb.com
I’ve had some friends that have had good luck on reverb and a couple that have had terrible luck. I prefer FB marketplace if you live in a populated area because you can go check out the instrument before forking up your money.

That being said, Facebook MP is going to be far more low to mid grade instruments, where reverb will be far easier to find exactly what you want especially if it’s on the higher end.

Some nice beginner songs are

Smoke on the water
Iron Man
Most RATM songs but Guerilla Radio is really easy
Sugar by System of a Down

I’ve had some friends that have had good luck on reverb and a couple that have had terrible luck. I prefer FB marketplace if you live in a populated area because you can go check out the instrument before forking up your money.

That being said, Facebook MP is going to be far more low to mid grade instruments, where reverb will be far easier to find exactly what you want especially if it’s on the higher end.
I've only heard good things about reverb it I've never bought anything myself.

Last edited:
Back