New to guitar

Immediately go out and buy custom guitars. Playing them will come later

full

Immediately go out and buy custom guitars. Playing them will come later

full
Auction sites have a few half off. Thought about it. I’m taking home 2900 a week right now. Still Jewish though

Auction sites have a few half off. Thought about it. I’m taking home 2900 a week right now. Still Jewish though

No, you gotta pick it all out yourself.

If you're into hair bands, you have to get a proco rat

Sounds like a custom shop heavy relic would be right up your alley.

Sounds like a custom shop heavy relic would be right up your alley.
Facebook is showing me ads now. Totally not listening in…. Beautiful guitar click on it 1899.99. Goddamn. Bit heavy for a newbie. I’m thinking 4-500 max until I decide if this is a hobby I share with other folks. One thing I know is myself though, once I pick a hobby up I go all in for about 7 years then quit. Same with women. I can never half ass anything, I’m always an ass whole

Start by learning to read tablature

Screen-Shot-2019-10-24-at-7.01.32-PM.png

That's just a small example string thickness goes from thickest EADGB and the last E being the thinnest. The numbers represent the frets and the 0's represent open strings so just pluck with your right hand only.
Then you can learn your basic chords

basic-guitar-chord-chart.gif

You will be looking at this from the right side and down.

Is that common to learn tablature as the first step as opposed to chords and possibly scales? I would say tablature is good for learning parts of a song note for note but it's kind of like learning a phrase in a foreign language phonetically without learning any of the actual verbs or nouns in the language.

Anyway, chances are your advice is better than mine but in general I would say learning tab is less conducive to stuff like figuring out or learning to play songs by ear than a decent / passable repertoire of chords and then building up some skills / hammer ons / pull offs and so on with your picking hand.

But you or any more skilled players are welcome to take issue with that.

I've only hear good things about reverb it I've never bought anything myself.
I think overall your odds of having a good experience are pretty high. But there’s definitely a lot of fuckery on there too so you just have to be careful.

Is that common to learn tablature as the first step as opposed to chords and possibly scales? I would say tablature is good for learning parts of a song note for note but it's kind of like learning a phrase in a foreign language phonetically without learning any of the actual verbs or nouns in the language.

Anyway, chances are your advice is better than mine but in general I would say learning tab is less conducive to stuff like figuring out or learning to play songs by ear than a decent / passable repertoire of chords and then building up some skills / hammer ons / pull offs and so on with your picking hand.

Well a lot of the chord charts are written in tab so i figure if you can at least learn to read the tab then you can learn cords from those charts. How do you propose TS learns the chords without taking lessons or learning to read actual sheet music which would be incredibly harder?

Well a lot of the chord charts are written in tab so i figure if you can at least learn to read the tab then you can learn cords from those charts. How to you propose TS learns the chords without taking lessons or learning to read actual sheet music which would be incredibly harder?

How do I propose TS learn chords without lessons? It has to be easier to learn at least five or six chords from a chord chart than it is to read tablature. You can play a ton of songs with Am F G C D. Now you'll stall hard if you don't keep learning new chords or try to force fit songs that aren't 1 4 5 etc.

Like I said...don't let me screw up good advice from you or others, or set this guy to become capo reliant right off the bat, but with five or six chords which are pretty easy to learn, lessons or no lessons, someone will open up 10 to 20 songs at least that they already know, can learn to play them better and better with their strumming / picking hand and I would say with not a lot more time and effort than it would take to learn to read tab and play maybe one or two songs...where the knowledge won't transfer as well to learning and figuring out other songs.

You can learn probably Am C F and G with about the same effort it takes to learn the opening to Thunderstruck by tab. I know which I would have more use for going forward...though to be fair some people will be more impressed by the Thunderstruck opening even if it's the only thing somebody can do.

But that's just my point of view and I will defer to others.

Last edited:
How do I propose TS learn chords without lessons? It has to be easier to learn at least five or six chords from a chord chart than it is to read tablature. You can play a ton of songs with Am F G C D. Now you'll stall hard if you don't keep learning new chords or try to force fit songs that aren't 1 4 5 etc.

Like I said...don't let me screw up good advice from you or others, or set this guy to become capo reliant right off the bat, but with five or six chords which are pretty easy to learn, lessons or no lessons, someone will open up 10 to 20 songs at least that they already know, can learn to play them better and better with their strumming / picking hand and I would say with not a lot more time and effort than it would take to learn to read tab and play maybe one or two songs...where the knowledge won't transfer as well to learning and figuring out other songs.

You can learn probably Am C F and G with about the same effort it takes to learn the opening to Thunderstruck by tab. I know which I would have more use for going forward...though to be fair some people will be more impressed by the Thunderstruck opening even if it's the only thing somebody can do.

But that's just my point of view and I will defer to others.
learning tabs helps to learn finger placement and get familiar with the fretboard. It's really not a difficult a concept. Tablature isn't just single notes it's chords as well.

Last edited:
I never got into guitar but I got heavily into golf which is similiar in nature. Not to hard to develop an okay swing and play 18 holes but extremely hard to actually master.

My brother ended up mastering guitar but it was mostly because he had a guitar instructor teach him for 4 years. Like golf it's so much easier with actual proper instruction/lesson plans instead of just trying to peice random tid bits from stuff you read or see on the internet. His instructor taught him everything (how to physically read and write music, cord progression, solos/scales, why other instrument influence the writing/tone, theory, how to actually hold a guitar/pick).

He never developed any bad habits or bad fundamentals because any bad thing he'd picked up would get fixed the very next lesson. It's the same thing with golf, some weekend warrior will barely break 100 then go "oh I need lessons to get down to 80" and then the first 5 or 6 lessons will be literally the instructor helping them unlearn their entire swing because it's fundamentally flawed

I never got into guitar but I got heavily into golf which is similiar in nature. Not to hard to develop an okay swing and play 18 holes but extremely hard to actually master.

My brother ended up mastering guitar but it was mostly because he had a guitar instructor teach him for 4 years. Like golf it's so much easier with actual proper instruction/lesson plans instead of just trying to peice random tid bits from stuff you read or see on the internet. His instructor taught him everything (how to physically read and write music, cord progression, solos/scales, why other instrument influence the writing/tone, theory, how to actually hold a guitar/pick).

He never developed any bad habits or bad fundamentals because any bad thing he'd picked up would get fixed the very next lesson. It's the same thing with golf, some weekend warrior will barely break 100 then go "oh I need lessons to get down to 80" and then the first 5 or 6 lessons will be literally the instructor helping them unlearn their entire swing because it's fundamentally flawed
Golf… I used to be very good. Not pro but I was your hero in a scramble. Got down to 80 and sniffed park a few times. I was pretty much a guaranteed two putt or less. Just had to stop going for the green every time. The difference there is once you’re not going for the green any more I’m not having fun. That was where taking the next step was going to rob all the fun from it for me. That and I never had 6 hours to play and 100 bucks. It was one or the other.

Lol I still figure songs out by ear and then I check the tab and see a bunch of notes I missed.

I'm the grand scheme of things, looking back on learning how to play.. tabs didn't help me much at all.

Learning chords is much more important. If anything, trying to teach yourself songs through tabs is a good way to form a bunch of bad habits. But what do I know!

Back