New Tool song: Fear Inoculum ***Update: Album Released***

Yeah it took years for some of their stuff to come out. No 10k days yet though. No FI in sight either
They need to release all their stuff on vinyl and that also includes rereleasing the picture disc of Lateralus correctly. I have two copies I purchased and they both are very noisy and have a ton of defects. I have a third copy unopened

After about 5 listens I can say this is the best album of this type, and it's not like any of their other albums, apples to oranges. Thing about tool is every album is different so you can pick and choose whatever you feel like that day. Nothing negative to say about it. The CD quality of the bass in my car fucking pounds and sounds incredible.

They need to release all their stuff on vinyl and that also includes rereleasing the picture disc of Lateralus correctly. I have two copies I purchased and they both are very noisy and have a ton of defects. I have a third copy unopened

Adam Jones has said in interviews a remaster of vinyls is being worked on, November is being rumored for at least Fear Inoculum

Where does Fear Inoculum fit within Tool’s philosophy and legacy? What inner coherence can we de-code and unravel? (And what’s all this shit about the number 7?)

Fear Inoculum seems to follow an unusual trajectory for a Tool album, moving from clarity and resolution (in Fear Inoculum and Pneuma) towards paranoia and anger (in Culling Voices and 7empest). While Undertow, Aenima and Lateralus were about breaking through, growing beyond, Fear Inoculum appears to offer a regression.

Or perhaps it’s not a regression, but a double-movement, both forwards and backwards. In The Great Turn we find a character – a twisty-double-figure, reminiscent of the Opiate priest (but with an extra pair or arms), pulled in opposite directions, one head inclined upwards towards the light, the other head inclined downwards and broken open. When we get to glimpse into this broken-open head in the video, we see a great swirling storm. We could name these two figures Pneuma-Tool and 7empest-Tool, one ascending (‘Eyes full of wonder’), the other descending (‘Petulant stench and demeanour’). A polar unity, held in a spiral.

Is this what we expected from Tool? A small (or perhaps large) part of every Tool fan has spent the last two decades longing for the band to write Lateralus Part II. Surely, this is where the band’s career should culminate – in the otherworldly transcendence, enlightenment and resolve promised by Lateralus? But instead we arrive at 7empest, not enlightenment but endarkenment. ‘Follow the evidence. Look it dead in the eye. You are darkness.’

Fear Inoculum pulls in two directions, like the character in The Great Turn. We all love ‘Eyes full of wonder’-Tool. But when the torrent comes and we meet 7empest-Tool, we give a knowing nod and a wink. ‘We know your nature’, we say. The ‘dubious state of serenity’ can only be maintained for so long. The cycle spins. The head bursts open.

What about the number 7? Well, in numerology, 7 is significant. There are 7 chakras, the 7th being the Crown chakra (located above the 6th, the ‘Third Eye’.) In Christian and Jewish mysticism, 7 is associated with God and spiritual perfection. This is the number of enlightenment. But 7 also suggest a turning, a cycle completed. 7 days in the week and we return to the beginning. Saturn returns after 4 cycles of 7, after 28 years, to lift you up or drag you down, etc…

With Fear Inoculum, Tool has completed a cycle of 7 records, and Fear Inoculum sees the cycle turn, both bursting through the Crown Chakra into the light, as one half of the character in The Great Turn video, ‘become Pneuma’. But also, regressing to the mud and grit of the beginning – a many-armed character who evokes Opiate, 7empest evoking the sounds of Undertow, particularly Flood. Yes, we are sun becoming. But the waters are still rising around our feet.

The music of Tool has always been about growth, and here we find a mature perspective on the growth process – not as a linear progression into the light, but a cyclical process, where the way forward is the way backwards, where the way up is also the way down, and where we must return to our earliest being, our most primal influences, to move forward. The spiral turns, and all we can hope for is to hold our polarities together, become Pneuma, become 7empest.

And herein lies the genius of Fear Inoculum – it completes the cycle, it encompasses the band’s entire career and holds the polarities in unity. It offers us a glimpse of the beyond, while reminding us that our feet are rooted in the mud. Holy fuck it’s good.

And most importantly – and I’ve taken far too long to arrive at the grand conclusion – it’s packed full of fucking badass tunes.

Spiral out homies.

I initially liked 7empest the most from this album, like most others I've seen talking about it, but the more I listen to Descending the more it grows on me. It's gotten to the point that it's my favorite track on the album and is in contention for my top 3 favorite songs from the band.

I've seen a lot of speculation as to the song's meaning online, but it seems like people are mostly reaching too deeply for some sort of social or political message. In my mind, the lyrics are literally about a dying organism, specifically its body and every living piece of it, revolting against death. It could even specifically be a drowning organism, given that the song's title is "Descending," the lyrics mention falling, floating, and drifting, and we hear the sound of waves at the beginning. Ultimately, the cause of death doesn't matter, the meaning is focused on some nondescript dying organism fighting for life in its final moments. The song begins slow and rhythmic with the lyrics:

Free fall through
Our midnight,
This epilogue
Of our own fable

These lyrics are the narrator describing the feeling of their body weakening as death draws near. The mind is literally spiraling into unconsciousness and the body's processes begin to falter. The narrator uses the words "our midnight" and "epilogue of our own fable" to make it clear that they are describing their own end, and they use the plural our instead of my, as they do throughout the song, to suggest they speak from multiple points of view, i.e. the body's various organs, organelles, and individual cells, rather than exclusively from the consciousness.

Heedless in our slumber
Floating nescient we
Free fall through
This boundlessness
This madness
Of our own making

These lyrics describe the mind being asleep at the wheel, drifting through the boundlessness of unconsciousness, the "madness" of the body's own making. The narrator uses the words heedless and nescient to hammer home the idea that the "self" of the organism is not aware of its predicament as it fades further and further into death.

Falling isn't flying
Floating isn't infinite

These lyrics suggest to me that the narrator (the body) is aware this state of fading heralds the end.

Come
Our end suddenly
All hail our lethargy
Concede
Suddenly
To the quickened
Dissolution

"Come our end suddenly" has a fairly obvious interpretation. "All hail our lethargy" seems to mean the body is saying "fuck it, let's not even bother." Proceeding that is "Concede suddenly to the quickened dissolution." Dissolution literally means the dismissal of an assembly, partnership, or body, so at first, the narrator seems resigned to their fate, but then we get these lyrics:

Pray
We mitigate our ruin
Calling all to arms and order

We hear a different version of these lyrics later on, but here they are accompanied by a faint rise in energy in the song, as if the first shot of adrenaline has pumped through the body and began to rouse it. "Pray we mitigate our ruin" literally means hopefully we can fix our fucked up body, while "Calling all to arms and order" is a summons to all of the body's cells to get in gear and salvage the situation.

Drifting through
This boundlessness
This madness
Of our own making

Again we hear these lyrics, and the brief surge in energy dies down again. This is once again describing the mind in a state of unconsciousness.

Sound our dire reveille
Rouse all from our apathy
Lest we
Cease to be

A reveille is literally a bugle/trumpet/pipes/drum call that is used to wake military personnel at sunrise, so it seems clear that these lyrics are the body again calling its various pieces into action. The following lyrics essentially say "everybody better do their jobs or else we're gonna die."

Stir us from our
Wanton slumber
Mitigate our ruin
Call us all to arms and order

The song picks up again as we get the closest thing to a chorus this song has. The narrator uses the word "wanton" to describe the slumber the mind and faculties of the body are in, and the word could suggest recklessness or luxuriance, or perhaps that the state of slumber the body is in is not of its own will, to differentiate it from willed sleep. Again we hear "Mitigate our ruin," this time with "Call us all to arms and order."

Sound the dread alarm
Through our primal body
Sound the reveille
To be or not to be

Here's where the songs really pick up and the lyrics become more dire and commanding. "Sound the dread alarm through our primal body" is literally the heart pumping adrenaline through the body. It's time to wake up or die. Be now, or be no longer.

Rise
Stay the grand finale
Stay the reading of our swan song and epilogue

A clear command to fight against death. Stand now and die another day.

One drive
To stay alive
It's elementary
Muster every fiber
Mobilize
Stay alive

There is only one objective now: to stay alive. More calls to action followed by the narrator commanding the song's theme one final time.

Stir us from our
Wanton slumber
Mitigate our ruin
Call us all to arms and order

The song's lyrics end with this again, and I'd once more like to point out the use of the plural our as opposed to the singular my throughout the song, which suggests that the mind or the self is not the narrator, but the various pieces of the body itself.

Last edited:
I initially liked 7empest the most from this album, like most others I've seen talking about it, but the more I listen to Descending the more it grows on me. It's gotten to the point that it's my favorite track on the album and is in contention for my top 3 favorite songs from the band.

I've seen a lot of speculation as to the song's meaning online, but it seems like people are mostly reaching too deeply for some sort of social or political message. In my mind, the lyrics are literally about a dying organism, specifically its body and every living piece of it, revolting against death. It could even specifically be a drowning organism, given that the song's title is "Descending," the lyrics mention falling, floating, and drifting, and we hear the sound of waves at the beginning. Ultimately, the cause of death doesn't matter, the meaning is focused on some nondescript dying organism fighting for life in its final moments.

The spectrum of interpretations starts with the very literal individual fighting and can be applied to larger and larger scales to humanity fighting for survival. The same theme is found in Invincible, where at first glance it's a man fighting against age for past glory, but a deeper interpretation beyond the literal is humanity's futile struggle against the onslaught of nature. In the end, I think the most common theme throughout tool's history is the cycle (or spiral) of evolution (DNA in galaxies), and that humanity will die and only those that evolve will survive in another form, most will be lost.

Last edited:
Culling Voices is a massive song. The literal interpretations seem inspired from anonymous twitter accusations, and one of the deeper meanings seems to be about how conspiracy theories based in paranoia / schizophrenia can poison the mind, and one does not want to be infected with garbage thinking.

oyn40wlnohe31.png

The drumming on FI is just insane. Danny Carey is a god among men.

I've listened to the album a few times now, it's great, but I think it's the worst of their catalog. It has some shining moments but all in all it feels like a rushed project. That said, I would not be surprised if they win a Grammy for their effort, considering nothing else coming out has the same amount of hype behind it.

Just listened through the full album. The title track is pretty cool and "Invincible" has a nice slower part, but that's about it. Everything else just sounds like a basic re-hash of stuff they've done before.

The album is really an EP with 10+ minute songs. You'd think after 13 years they'd release a double album, but no, they're musical geniuses and geniuses can;t be time-pressured dammit.

Pneuma has grown on me a lot. Really like that one.
Same. It might just be my favorite song on the record.

I am seeing Tool for the first time Saturday, November 16, 2019 at the Prudential Center in NJ. So f'n happy I am finally getting to see the band. I had a chance in 2006 during the tour for 10,000 Days here at Nassau Coliseum but my brother ended up with nose bleed seats and decided not to pull the trigger and buy them thinking the band would come back to NY but yeah they didn't until now. Not about to miss them this time

I noticed two fuck ups by Danny which I don't mind cause it shows he is human. Still holy shit to see him at his age playing like that. Fear Inoculum is easily his best work of his career. His drumming is amazing throughout the record and to see him pull it off live is awesome. Finally got to see the band back in November at Prudential center and it was like a religious experience. One of the best concerts I have ever been too. Ended up getting tickets again to see them at Nassau Coliseum but it looks like there is a chance the date will be postponed but I hope not

You cannot have an opinion about any Tool song untill you hear it with headphones on.
There are a 1000 things in Tools music you can't hear without headphones.
The album is great and I still think the musicians from Tool know things other musicians on this planet don't know.

Back