New Winning FG-5000 vs FG-2900 (new versions vs old versions)

Airdyne23

The Violent Art
@purple
Reaction score
Hi guys, just a quick update review on the differences between the new Winning FG-2900 and the new FG-5000. Recently Winning brought out new lighter versions of both headgears.

2lk2yy9.jpg

Original review here: http://www.sherdog.net/forums/f67/winning-fg-5000-vs-fg-2900-a-1557747/

FG-2900 new version

The FG-2900 was originally 12oz in weight and is now 10oz.

Honestly, I can’t tell the difference between the old model and the new one except for a small change in weight. It’s still my preferred headgear for MMA standup sparring due to it’s protection, vision, comfort and quality. It’s basically perfect.

FG-5000 new version

The FG-5000 was originally 21oz and is now 15oz.

The FG-5000 is noticeably different though. Obviously, the weight has come down. The new version feels essentially the same weight as the FG-2900 used to. It’s very, very light.

The big difference is that the inside frame has changed. On the old model the headgear would sit tight around your forehead (which is where you would measure for sizing) but that was really the only contact with your face as the nosebar sat just away from your nose. There didn't seem to be much padding around your cheeks making contact with your face the same way as a mexican style headgear hugs your cheeks.

Now there is padding around the cheek area INSIDE the headgear, so when wearing the headgear it sits flush on your forehead and hugs your cheeks.

The best way I can think to describe the new FG-5000 is like wearing an FG-2900 INSIDE an FG-5000. The cheekbone protection on the inside makes it even more comfortable and even more protective, and it’s even lighter than before.

Conclusion

In my opinion the FG-5000 is the best boxing headgear money can buy. With that said, I still agree with my initial review that the FG-2900 is better value and more versatile for MMA sparring. The FG-5000 seems a bit bulky if your going to try and do clinch work or a small amount of grappling with it. The 2900 is much sleeker for that purpose.

Last edited:
a 2900 within a 5900!?! Oh my goodness. I thought I finally kicked the gear addiction when I bought winnings and suddenly winning raises the bar and its prices. So sad

a 2900 within a 5900!?! Oh my goodness. I thought I finally kicked the gear addiction when I bought winnings and suddenly winning raises the bar and its prices. So sad

I hear you man, it's a real shame that the prices are so high these days. Same with Grant.

Even the Reyes sellers on Ebay have pushed up their prices in the past year.

Awesome awesome review sir! I need to just suck it up and buy the FG-5000 haha, I'm actually thinking about saving up a few hundred for a few paychecks and buying a 12oz pair in green for bag gloves :icon_chee

Awesome awesome review sir! I need to just suck it up and buy the FG-5000 haha, I'm actually thinking about saving up a few hundred for a few paychecks and buying a 12oz pair in green for bag gloves :icon_chee

Would love to see some custom gear on the boards my man!

Green is pretty much the best colour they make I reckon, it looks awesome on 24/7.

:D

Would love to see some custom gear on the boards my man!

Green is pretty much the best colour they make I reckon, it looks awesome on 24/7.

:D

Green looks so awesome haha. It's also my favorite color, so I was thinking about getting them in green with my name embroidered in probably black or white.

Denno,

does the new Winning-FG 5000 have the same amount of visibility as the old? How about the comfort? Does it feel a little tighter around the face. If my the circumference from my forehead to the back of my head measures comfortably at 60 cm, do u think a 2L will be comfortable enough for sparring or do I need a 3L?

Thanks, love the reviews u do by the way.

Denno,

does the new Winning-FG 5000 have the same amount of visibility as the old? How about the comfort? Does it feel a little tighter around the face. If my the circumference from my forehead to the back of my head measures comfortably at 60 cm, do u think a 2L will be comfortable enough for sparring or do I need a 3L?

Thanks, love the reviews u do by the way.

No worries mate, lol @ your screen name by the way. :icon_lol:

The visibility is still great and the comfort feels even better than the previous version.

The sizing question is a bit tricky, because it more depends on the shape of your head rather than the size.

My head measures exactly 22.5 inches around the eyebrows. The first Winning headgear I bought was the size medium, which felt comfortable. The most recent ones I got are both large and they feel even more comfortable.

I've got more of a round shaped head rather than a long shaped head and I think that's important.

If I were to take a guess, I'd say to get a 2L because I think it's better to be at the bottom of a size range than at the top (like I said above I was 22.5inches which was at the top of the medium range and bottom of the large range).

It's easier to adjust a larger headgear to be tighter on your head than to make a slightly too small headgear try and fit.

Let me know a bit more about your head shape. Also, do you know anyone who has a Winning headgear who might let you try one on? That would be good.

Will try and help as much as I can mate.

My head is quite wide(left to right) rather than long face. My head measures 60cm. What do you think i should get? L or 2L?
And do you this fg5000 will be OK for muay thai? I saw a japanese fighter sparring in muay thai wearing fg5000. I do both boxing and muay thai. I would appreciate ur help

I'd go for 2L. I've got no issues using the 5000 for boxing or Muay Thai, it works great for both. No vision problems whatsoever.

I'd go for 2L. I've got no issues using the 5000 for boxing or Muay Thai, it works great for both. No vision problems whatsoever.
Thank you for your quick reply. Have you ever owned or seen used winning headgear in white? I really like the white color but i am afraid it might lose its color quickly!

I like this website because I can find out a lot of info on gear among other things, but because of Sherdog now I have to have Winning Headgear. Thanks guys lol

Thank you for your quick reply. Have you ever owned or seen used winning headgear in white? I really like the white color but i am afraid it might lose its color quickly!

My trainer Joe Schilling has a white one, but it has been put through a lot of sessions. I would probably go with a different color.

My trainer Joe Schilling has a white one, but it has been put through a lot of sessions. I would probably go with a different color.

This. It's pretty awesome for about 2 weeks, but if you get hit in the head as often as I do its a real shame to make it dirty so quickly. :redface:

Hey guys, i have saved up a little for a winning headgear but i am still hesitant which one to get fg2900 or fg5000? My current headgear is a concrete TWINS open face headgear. The padding sucks. My forehead hurts after hard sparring. So which one should i get? Which headgear gived more protection? I dont really care about nose protection as i an asian with small nose. I didnt even had a nose problem with my open face headgear. Is the amount of padding on fg2900 and fg5000 same? Btw fg 5000 is too expensive.

If FG5000 is too expensive, and you haven't had nose problems, then the FG2900 is a no brainer. If that's even on the expensive side, GFG seems to make one that comes pretty close.

Hey guys, i have saved up a little for a winning headgear but i am still hesitant which one to get fg2900 or fg5000? My current headgear is a concrete TWINS open face headgear. The padding sucks. My forehead hurts after hard sparring. So which one should i get? Which headgear gived more protection? I dont really care about nose protection as i an asian with small nose. I didnt even had a nose problem with my open face headgear. Is the amount of padding on fg2900 and fg5000 same? Btw fg 5000 is too expensive.

I am also Asian and have a small nose. lmao. The 2900 is great and 16oz gloves have a hard time getting through to my nose. Here is my review with pics. I hope that helps.

http://www.sherdog.net/forums/f67/new-winning-fg-2900-review-1565367/

I like this website because I can find out a lot of info on gear among other things, but because of Sherdog now I have to have Winning Headgear. Thanks guys lol

lol, the same situation:icon_lol: I need Winning FG-2900 :)

Hi guys,

I've read enough good reviews on this FG-2900 that I'm will to purchase it. But I couldn't find a store in toronto that sells it. Can sb provide a reliable source where I can get the NEW FG-2900? The thing with online shopping is that I can't try it on which concerns me a little.

Anyhow, thanks for any suggestion.

P.s. shout out some opinions on where to buy your kickboxing gears (sparring, bag gloves) in toronto for cheap.

Rob

Back