Crime New York City Police Need to Be Held Accountable for Rising Crime, Andrew Yang Says

Thats like blaming pest control for the rats in your house. You created the mess, you invited the pest.

Police arent there to prevent crime. They are there to respond to it. The politicians are the ones who are supposed to initiate policies to prevent crime.

But not surprising coming from yang. This is the type of guy who would fix a leak by increasing the water pressure

For the rising crimes in NYC according to Yang addressing cultural and racism has to be addressed.
It seems Yang has completely forgotten that NYC' City Council had defunded the police with one Billion cut of its funds.

Source
Bless this simpleton.

One door closes, another opens. I mean, that second door clearly opened out into a back alley where hobos shit, but hey, you made it
bahahahahah
my 2nd day as a cop i watched a homeless drunk whip out their cock and piss into a gutter pants around their ankles... less than a foot from me ...

You mean besides the OP?

Gawd, yes.

Totalitarian countries have extremely low crime rates. Failed states have extremely high crime rates.

So you're not aware of any evidence for your claims? Seems like a legitimately interesting question.

Last edited:
Go to this link:

https://www.numbeo.com/crime/rankings_by_country.jsp

Some anomalies, for sure. Like I said in a reply to someone else, there are a lot of variables. But still look how nice and green China is. Look how brightly red South Africa is.

This just goes to crime rankings by country. Also, looks like countries with strong civil liberties actually tend to have less crime (but that's just eyeballing the nations and combining with my impressions, while I was wondering about actual evidence showing that police aggression lowers crime or generally that there's a freedom/crime tradeoff). I'm gathering from your responses that you don't really get how evidence works (no offense). Thanks anyway.

I just saw that the nypd rolled out a new robot dog, so those numbers will be coming down

Holding law enforcement accountable when laws are broken... how crazy is that?

That gets complicated really fast...people scream racism. People scream about minorities disproportionately being targeted.

This just goes to crime rankings by country. Also, looks like countries with strong civil liberties actually tend to have less crime (but that's just eyeballing the nations and combining with my impressions, while I was wondering about actual evidence showing that police aggression lowers crime or generally that there's a freedom/crime tradeoff). I'm gathering from your responses that you don't really get how evidence works (no offense). Thanks anyway.

Okay. You got me. I'm just talking out of my ass.

https://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/abs/10.1111/1745-9133.12172
https://link.springer.com/article/10.1007/s10940-015-9259-4

I wasn't really making a point that is particularly controversial. It only became controversial to you because given the specifics of the thread it felt like it had a partisan sort of feel to it, so you put your finger in air to see which way the left leaning wind was blowing, picked a side, and ran with it.

Somehow I doubt that you'd have taken the same stance if this was a thread about gun control... or the lack of police presence at the Capitol on January 6th... or the failure of police in Kenosha to stop Rittenhouse and check whether he really was qualified to open carry that night... or the enforcement of Covid laws and regulations. But maybe I'm wrong.

At any rate, I wasn't even taking a side. I certainly wasn't suggesting that the deterioration of civil liberties in the name of crime reduction was a fruitful or just path. Just pointing out that when the police are out and about, we speed a little less, wear our seatbelts a little more, and maybe wait for things to cool off a little or head over to a less policed town before we risk robbing the local grocer.

Nor was I suggesting that policing is the preferred pathway to crime reduction in any case. People who feel a sense of connection to their community, a sense of self worth, and have prospects and opportunities for leading meaningful lives with their needs met and what feels like their fair share of manageable struggles and occasional comforts are far, far less likely to commit crimes. People who are able to avoid undue trauma (and especially childhood trauma) and/or have access to tools and services that help them deal with that trauma, are also far, far less likely to commit crimes.

These remedies should absolutely be prioritized, and I've no doubt that working toward these goals would have better, more stable, and longer lasting outcomes than anything that law enforcement is equipped to do.

In the meantime, however, we have people with badges who carry guns who are tasked with the job of stopping, deterring, and processing criminal behaviour. I'd like to see them get better at their jobs as much as anyone else, but even as it stands, when they pull back, crime moves forward.

NYPD literally has offices overseas. They can afford a bit of budget cuts.

Police in this country 100% need better training. It is simply too easy to be a cop
I always wondered how you can be a cop in Murica with as little as a few months. It should be a two year pipeline, with conflict resolution and interpersonal communication given as much importance as weapons training.

I don't disagree but it would help if the mayor and city were supportive of the department. Not all that shocking that shitting on your employees reduces morale and productivity.

Okay. You got me. I'm just talking out of my ass.

https://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/abs/10.1111/1745-9133.12172
https://link.springer.com/article/10.1007/s10940-015-9259-4

I wasn't really making a point that is particularly controversial. It only became controversial to you because given the specifics of the thread it felt like it had a partisan sort of feel to it, so you put your finger in air to see which way the left leaning wind was blowing, picked a side, and ran with it.

Yikes. Are you OK? That's the kind of thing that makes me legitimately worry about you. You made a claim (and, yes, it's highly controversial) that I thought might be interesting if it had evidence. I asked for evidence. You kind of blew it off, and I expressed disappointment, then kind of tried (in a way that suggests that you didn't really understand how the process works), and I said OK, fine, this isn't going to be fruitful. Trying to squeeze some kind of partisan (???) or left/right angle into my request suggests that there's something going on with you.

Somehow I doubt that you'd have taken the same stance if this was a thread about gun control... or the lack of police presence at the Capitol on January 6th... or the failure of police in Kenosha to stop Rittenhouse and check whether he really was qualified to open carry that night... or the enforcement of Covid laws and regulations. But maybe I'm wrong.

??? Maybe you're confusing me with someone else?

they should hire more disenfranchised minorities if it’s that easy
Why is everything about race to you people? All I said was there should be better training for police. In some areas of this country it is incredibly easy and you can complete police training within a couple month. Not everything has to be about skin color.

Why is everything about race to you people? All I said was there should be better training for police. In some areas of this country it is incredibly easy and you can complete police training within a couple month. Not everything has to be about skin color.

lol

Yikes. Are you OK? That's the kind of thing that makes me legitimately worry about you. You made a claim (and, yes, it's highly controversial) that I thought might be interesting if it had evidence. I asked for evidence. You kind of blew it off, and I expressed disappointment, then kind of tried (in a way that suggests that you didn't really understand how the process works), and I said OK, fine, this isn't going to be fruitful. Trying to squeeze some kind of partisan (???) or left/right angle into my request suggests that there's something going on with you.

??? Maybe you're confusing me with someone else?

Okay. Fair enough. I looked back at the conversation and I can see that I assumed a certain tone to your replies that, looking more carefully, wasn't likely intended.

I do think there's a fair bit of evidence that pulling back on policing measures does result in more crime, and in the end I did post a couple scholarly articles about it... but as with pretty much all social sciences, you could quite likely post some scholarly articles that provide evidence for the opposite.

So I guess that's that.

And, yes, it is possible I'm confusing you with someone else... or at least with a certain cohort with whom I've seen you in agreement on certain issues, which may have made me assume you were in lockstep with that crowd and, as a result, made me respond in an overly defensive manner... but I should know better than that because the same happens to me quite often around here (it's actually what I think I felt was behind your replies to me).

My apologies.

Back