Social NFL assumes black athletes started off dumber, and must show greater cognitive decline than whites

HockeyBjj

Putting on the foil
Staff member
Senior Moderator
Reaction score
So, the NFL has a $1 Billion pot it uses to pay out ex-players who can show they've suffered effects of CTE and concussion-induced dementia along with other brain decline diagnoses.

Turns out tho, in the NFL's formula for payouts, they assume black athletes are dumber to begin with. And so they need to be more mentally declined than whites to get a settlement.

But hey, they let them play the black national anthem before a game last year so the NFL can't be racist right? And if anything they're anti-white woke trash that's getting canceled by fans, and an ex-president and VP, who want them to stand for the flag above all else.

https://www.theguardian.com/sport/2021/may/14/nfl-race-norming-concussion-settlement

Under the settlement, however, the NFL has insisted on using a scoring algorithm on the dementia testing that assumes Black men start with lower cognitive skills. They must therefore score much lower than whites to show enough mental decline to win an award. The practice, which went unnoticed until 2018, has made it harder for Black former players to get awards.

“Because every Black retired NFL player has to perform lower on the test to qualify for an award than every white player. And that’s essentially systematic racism in determining these payouts,” said Katherine Possin, a neurology professor at the UCSF Memory and Aging Center.

In other major settlements, including those tied to the the September 11 terrorist attacks and the Boston Marathon bombing, all claimants were treated the same.

I'm starting to think the NFL might not be as woke as they pretend to be. I wonder if the other multi-billion dollar corporations are like this...

Why then would they do all that whoke stuff as just a front if it’s “Go woke go broke?” That hurts their business?

Doesn’t sound that different than all the woke changes to testing and academic standards. This is the current progressive viewpoint.

I was going to say.. Haven't the Universities been doing this for years?

Are they basing this off of test scores back when they were in college or something like that? How are they measuring who started off at a higher cognitive ability?

I mean...this is f'd up. Scummy way to try to avoid making payouts to former black players. Insulting their intelligence and then using that to not pay them.

Shady ass shit NFL. The former black players affected should sue for extra damages on top of the settlement $. This seems like a very winnable descrimination suit.

Why then would they do all that whoke stuff as just a front if it’s “Go woke go broke?” That hurts their business?
They've started to move away from being completely woke, after the ratings drop of the last couple years. The NBA has probably faired the worst drop off.

Basically, it has hurt their bottom line somewhat. But i personally stopped watching the NFL years before whats his face started his man tantrum that somehow lead to a revolution.

I actually talked to Nuk (DeAndre Hopkins) about this garbage this morning. Black athletes aren't fucking idiots and you're going to see a big push back coming forward. A lot of them are tired of the "woke" bullshit. They're not children. Nuk owns three other businesses and a construction company I have some capital in.

@HereticBD it's just shocking that billion dollar business owners move the needle.

Can anyone explain to me what it is the NFLPA actually does for the players?

Gets out of extra camp days and fewer padded practices seem to be their only “player friendly” accomplishments

Are they basing this off of test scores back when they were in college or something like that? How are they measuring who started off at a higher cognitive ability?

They’re literally just saying that black players have less cognitive abilities on average. Not like they’re looking at each dudes old scores

That's not necessarily a rule for all businesses, but regardless, the NFL is unique in that they're too big to fail. Football is practically a religion in the US. The woke stuff is simply to appease sponsors.

It seems to me that they have a proxy IQ test, the Wonderlic, which is given to incoming players. They can compare those scores to their post-playing scores, and get a more accurate assessment of the damage, if any, without resorting to broad racial averages.

That's not necessarily a rule for all businesses, but regardless, the NFL is unique in that they're too big to fail. Football is practically a religion in the US. The woke stuff is simply to appease sponsors.

Why would the sponsors then want to whokeness if it just hurts their exposure to fans? To a sponsor, the number of fans viewing their product during ads and placement is the goal.

Back