No.1 B.S. post on sherdog by Josh Gross

believe it or not, fights outside your division are still considered. especially when it's against a guy ranked at lw at the time.

But his point about conor only having 1 win at lightweight is factually correct. Believe it or not.

But his point about conor only having 1 win at lightweight is factually correct. Believe it or not.
and so is the fact that since 2016 he beat a guy who was ranked at lw......he didn't mention that fact.

and so is the fact that since 2016 he beat a guy who was ranked at lw......he didn't mention that fact.

Beat him at welterweight. 1 win at lightweight. He's correct

they fought at 170. Not 155. Like the two Diaz fights

Connor is 7-0 as a UFC featherweight
1-2 as a lightweight
And 2-1 as a welterweight

I don’t see how that makes him a top Lightweight. His only Lightweight win was nearly 5 years ago now and two stoppage losses since then

people see him as a top lw. that's how. rda and hooker are below him. they rank him slightly above a guy who is 2 for his last 6, and a guy who lost 2 straight. it's really not a big deal. he's got some history as an elite fighter and that tends to linger until you go on a slide.

like i aid, he didn't mention a fight that is relevant to his ranking. you can be pedantic all you want.

It's not relevant to his ranking. He beat nate who was ranked at lightweight in 2016...that doent add to his lw ranking because it happened at ww.

sherdog is bottom of the barrel when it comes to mma journalism, people come to this site for the forums and fight finder, not the "journalists".

It's not relevant to his ranking. He beat nate who was ranked at lightweight in 2016...that doent add to his lw ranking because it happened at ww.
sorry but you're wrong. that's not how it works. there's a reason a guy like mikey garcia can be ranked top 3 at ww in boxing with a 1-1 ranking in the division. you can pretend it doesn't matter, but that doesn't make it real.

sorry but you're wrong. that's not how it works. there's a reason a guy like mikey garcia can be ranked top 3 at ww in boxing with a 1-1 ranking in the division. you can pretend it doesn't matter, but that doesn't make it real.

You dont get ranked in one division by beating a guy in another. Even if you want to stretch that to a possibility, he still factually only has 1 win at lightweight since 2016.

You can pretend he has more than that, but it doesn't make it real.

I agree with this to an extent, but is McGregor really that mich better than Chandler as a win? Chandler’s beaten Alvarez as well and has many more quality wins at LW.

Those are just the two most popular names sport.

Don't forget: Max Holloway, Eddie Alvarez, Dan Hooker, Pettis

Charles is barely starting to fight ranked guys and he's already Champion thanks to circumstance. It's OK though champ, you keep at it. Keep watching more fights you'll get it son.
These things happen. Khabib had only one top-5 win (Barboza) when he won the championship by beating Iaquinta.

Oliveira’s competition thus far is fine in comparison.

You dont get ranked in one division by beating a guy in another. Even if you want to stretch that to a possibility, he still factually only has 1 win at lightweight since 2016.

You can pretend he has more than that, but it doesn't make it real.
jose aldo joined the bw rankings after LOSING his debut in the division. so again, pretend fights outside your division don't matter all you want. it's just not how it works.

jose aldod joined the bw rankings after LOSING his debut in the division. so again, pretend fights outside your division don't matter all you want. it's just not how it works.

And conor still only has 1 win at lw

It's not that bad of a take. Arguably has no real top 5 wins. Tony's shot, Lee loses to every top guy he faces, Chandler has no top 5 wins. Poirier is the current #1 LW because of beating Gaethje and Conor. Both of them.
Noooo both gaethje and Conor especially are way overrated. Conor gets gift placements on the ranking always.

Poirier lost to khabib a couple of fights ago, do Bronx hasn't lost in 9 fights.

Poirier has the best overall resume of any current active LW (not counting retired Khabib obviously). Yes, Poirier lost to Khabib but everyone loses to Khabib, Khabib would be favoured & should beat Oliveira too.

Poirier's biggest wins:
McGregor - I agree this win doesn't mean as much as it used to, but I consider it on par with Lee & Ferguson (loser of 3 straight)
Holloway - Max was reigning FW champ & 1 of the top P4P at time of the fight, 13 fight win streak
Alvarez - Alvarez was coming off a win over Gaethje & ranked top 5
Gaethje - top 10 win at the time, looks better as time goes on as Gaethje is consensus top 5 now
Pettis - yes, Pettis was/is past prime, but past prime Pettis also beat Oliveira

Oliveira's biggest wins:
Lee - 1-2 in his last 3 fights prior, or 2-3 in his last 5 fights prior
Ferguson - lost his last 3 fights, I think we can all acknowledge Tony is past prime
Chandler - usually a guy hovering around the top 10 but not really a top 5 guy

These things happen. Khabib had only one top-5 win (Barboza) when he won the championship by beating Iaquinta.

Oliveira’s competition thus far is fine in comparison.
Guy I brought it up cause it's relevant in this context. Khabib is gone, we're determining who the current #1 LW is, resume matters. I know it happens, I'm not calling Oliveira a paper champ, he earned his way there. It's just that Josh Gross and I think Poirier is better and more accomplished.

Back