No.1 B.S. post on sherdog by Josh Gross

Yep, I'm not against favorable treatment for stars. Doesn't eliminate he has only 1 win in the division
aldo was ranked with 0 wins. machida got ranked 5th with 1 win at mw. till is ranked 6th. rda has 1 win at lw since 2015, and has lost 4 of his last 6 fights and is ranked 7th. i know, he's a huge star....

again, you're now calling it favorable treatment for stars and still trying to pretend fights outside the division aren't considered.

None of that matters if he can't do that to top guys. Poirier could rack up a nice highlight fighting the guys Oliveira was finishing. Poirier on the other hand is out there KO'ing Conor and Gaethje.

To be fair, Porier beat Gaethje before Gaethje went on his title run tear. He bested him at a point when Sherdog was questioning how much Justin even belonged at the UFC.

Same thing with Conor. He best Conor coming off yet another super long layoff. Conor doesn't even have a win at LW since the Alvarez fight, his only recent (not even recent) wins are over two journeyman LWs who took him on at 170.

Oliveira's current wins are simply better, especially with Chandler factored in.

Time will tell on being champ. But gatekeeper? He is clearly a top contender. Come on now.
Top contender is a fancy name for gate keeper.
If he cant be champ, he is a gate keeper

aldo was ranked with 0 wins. machida got ranked 5th with 1 win at mw. till is ranked 6th. rda has 1 win at lw since 2015, and has lost 4 of his last 6 fights and is ranked 7th. i know, he's a huge star....

again, you're now calling it favorable treatment for stars and still trying to pretend fights outside the divisnntsion aren't considered.

Yep. Former Champs are consider stars. Doesn't take away that HockeyBjj was absolutely correct. Conor has 1 win at LW.

Well, is he that far off? Right now LW is a bit of a mess, but Oliveira, Gaethje and Poirer are all at the top and who is the best we will know once they fight. McGregor and Chandler are also relevant, but McGregor needs to stay active and beat Poirer and Chandler needs to prove that he can beat an elite LW (and Hooker has never been elite).

I think that's the guy who thought gatheje would beat khabib cos 'khabib can't get takedowns in the open'tenor (1).gif

Yep. Former Champs are consider stars. Doesn't take away that HockeyBjj was absolutely correct. Conor has 1 win at LW.
rda has 1 win at lw since 2015. he's the best lw in the world and the goat.

is my post absolutely correct because rda does in fact have 1 win at lw since 2015??? lol.

Guy I brought it up cause it's relevant in this context. Khabib is gone, we're determining who the current #1 LW is, resume matters. I know it happens, I'm not calling Oliveira a paper champ, he earned his way there. It's just that Josh Gross and I think Poirier is better and more accomplished.
Bolded is all I really needed to see. I basically agree with all you’ve said here; and as of now Poirier does have the better resume overall. But I would still rank Oliveira above him just based on him being the champ.

It just seems that there is this “paper champ” narrative that I think is lame. Oliveira has beaten who was in front of him and is the champ. Poirier basically chose not to fight for the title just yet and if he beats Conor again will get his opportunity to fight Charles.

Good topic. It’s heard to say he’s the champion when you got Dustin. That division is stacked yet fucked up because Khabib hightailed it outta there. A lot of good arguments for the ranking.

rda has 1 win at lw since 2015. he's the best lw in the world and the goat.

is my post absolutely correct because rda does in fact have 1 win at lw since 2015??? lol.

Yeah. RDA does have one win since that time frame, you're correct. Conor has one win at lw since 2016, Hockybjj is also correct.

You can’t pass on the title shot and then tweet about being the best. Poirier is seriously legit but the truth is he struggled bad against hooker and Justin 1.0. I think poirier is a really tough matchup for Oliveira but I think Justin 2.0 beats Dustin in a rematch. I think Oliveira is a bad matchup for Justin though. LW is crazy right now though, I think a lot of the top ten guys have the potential to beat each other but the champ is the best in the world at this moment. Oliveira has the skills to beat anyone in the world at LW period. Time will tell if he can pull off some defenses though. I don’t think any LW right now beats every top ten, I think styles and matchups are going to play a big part in things to come but I’m hoping Charles can pull out a few defenses because the guy has earned it 100% people who shit on him are casuals. Plain and simple.

Perfect forum fodder.
  • Was Serra the best in the world after GSP 1?
  • Was Figueiredo after CCC left?
  • Was Jiri after Jones left?
Someone has to be ranked #1, and Oliveira like the others above is legitimately ranked #1.

Many will suggest - and have valid arguments - that the legit ranked #1 isn't the best in the world.

In the end, it's all just meaningless banter. Soon Poirier will beat Conor and then 5 months after that we'll know for sure when he fights Oliveira.

The division will take a while to sort itself out after a dominant champ leaves. It gets further messed up when the #1 guy left is offered more money to take a non-title fight.
Personally I'd put Poirier above Charles based on resume right now but we'll see how the rest of the year plays out.
In the meantime at least Poirier is getting paid big for the Connor fight and Charles is getting champ money.

Both guys have good wins under their belt. The only difference is one guy has the belt .Eventually Dustin will fight him anyway assuming he beats Conor again.

It's pretty much up in the air who is the best among the elite LWs, so not that strange a take. They could have made Justin vs Dustin again or even Dustin/Justin vs Chandler for the title and we'd have a totally different champ, but that would not have made Oliviera a better or worse fighter. Same way that Oliviera winning the belt does not make Dustin or Justin a better or worse fighter.

The belt is just a shiny prop. Actually beating the best competition proves you're the best, not a belt.

I'd say top 3 are Oliveira / Poirier / Gaethje.

Don't know in which order....but....they should all be fighting each other in next 12months. Poirier already beat Gaethje but....he was in big trouble with those leg kicks.

Back