Opinion No, comic books didn't 'become' left wing, they always have been.

Mila is My World

Making Ash Look Good
Banned
Reaction score
Hey folks. From my conservative movie thread I saw the topic divert briefly into comic books and I thought as this is something I'm fairly well versed in, I'd offer some knowledge. I know some people have a nostalgia for a 'good old days of comics' when they were more conservative, and I have to tell you that just isn't true. Comic book hereos at least as far as Marvel and DC have always been very progressive. I post to you these two shorts, that would be considered 'woke SJW nonsense' today let alone 60-70 years ago.

3KJaoZcsHd5jXkCgK6-wrcgDqLwQTp-XDhPspuKyiR0.jpg

z2ffZE8k0blMui5oCEsydPnQkVUO7X5vDAUFj6aI2Ec.jpg

Thanks to Jeremyemilio who sparked me to think about this topic in detail, here is my refutation to something her brings up:

Superman is typically pretty right wing, as well. As are Captain America (traditionally) and Iron Man.

Most X-Men stuff is more to the left (Wolverine being an exception... sometimes). The Avengers are split on a case by case basis, but Hulk is way to the left (anti-military, trauma informed).

Spiderman is about as centrist as it gets.

All mainline DC and comic book heroes are pretty leftwing. Iron Man is a slight libertarian twist but is still a billionarie who ditched profiting off weapons to invest in renewable energy affordable appliances and 'make the world better' hippy projects.

Captain America is firmly left-wing, an anti-facist liberal arts student from New York who despite coming from the 1940s harbours no ill will towards any races, sexualities or religious groups, and actively rejects american government to pursue the ideals of tolerance and 'helping the little guy'.

Superman is literally an immigrant allegory about being accepted in a land were you weren't born, and holy shit did some of his stories trend what you would consider 'woke hysteria'.

Lois-Lane-106.jpg

Super fucking weird for sure, but turning into a black woman to expose and understand her and Superman's unconscious racial biases is hardly 'right wing'.

Stan-Lee was famously a left-wing anti-racist and made no effort to hide that. He literally gave himself a 'soapbox' to preach.

StanLeeSoapBox_01.jpg

Fun fact: Captain Planet, the environmentalist super hero, was originally meant to be a conservative hero named Professor Profit Margins who dumped oil in rivers, slaughtered endangered species, and gave children cancer so that GE stock outperformed the market.

There is nothing left wing about patriotism. If he went to a college today and told kids it was un American to judge people according to their skin color, he'd be shouted down and called a white nationalist and told to check his privilege, then he'd be canceled. Lois Lane would also be canceled for cultural appropriation and called a Karen.

Saying all comic books are left wing is as stupid as saying all books are left wing. Comic books are created by all parts of the political spectrum.

wong-chu-with-Iron-man.jpg

0c82fbf7efbba0a8319e4761b363363d-12-things-you-didnt-know-about-stan-lee.jpg

maxresdefault.jpg

Last edited:
Well yeah Superman/Cap are pretty much clean cut sjw's driven to superhore'ing, by altruism and empathy so i would agree they are pretty standard left wingers. Cap is patriotic, and defined by his connection to USA, but supe is a globalist.

I guess it depends on preference, but the most badass and coolest superheroes Batman/Punisher are essential right wringers. Both are motivated by revenge and to restore law and order in a chaotic world. Both deal and cripple street level thugs which we already know that the left is willing to literally riot for.

How lame you have to be to be against Batman?

Back