Not hating, but can we get psychologists or technicians to analyse Maycee Barber's striking?

Moral Victory

Black Belt
@Black
Reaction score
Out of genuine curiosity, is there any purpose to constantly be jabbing the air 3 feet infront of your opponent?

Is she trying to keep her opponent at bay, or is she simply unable to judge the distance properly?

It seems like such a waste of energy, considering the telegraphing and effort it takes to do the kicks, she would be trying to actually hit.

EuKdBOxXIAAQoBQ.jpg

BpWEDpk.gif

cNYQDr2.gif

Being a fighter, jabbing thing I can kind of get if she’s trying to dissuade her opponent from closing distance. Very easy to overdo though then you get clipped once they get your timing down.

The kicking air thing is absolutely pointless and will get her KO’d

Jabbing is whatever, in boxing guys will just fling it out there to draw a line so to speak.

But her throwing huge back kicks with no set up whatsoever would get most people koed. Its also a huge waste of energy

I think she's making bad reads. She thinks her opponent is going to walk forward and run into that stuff, so instead of timing her opponents stepping into range, she's swinging at the air.

That’s what wmma is. Just posturing and grunting. She wanted Grasso to see that garbage and think “yeah she is better than me”

it's called measuring the distance (or feeling out / drawing a reaction, but I don't think Barber has advanced to that stage yet), I don't understand how ppl wouldn't get that, watch a fucking boxing match FFS

I could make a heavily edited 'hilight' of Lennox Lewis pawing at air, would some shertards start a thread saying 'why does Lennox's jab suck?'
(never mind Lewis, count how often Tua punches air in this fight,what do you think he's doing, and why?)

yes Barber's striking is technically bad and the fact she couldn't find her range is a reflection of that (incidentally she started to connect a bit better in round 3, and this was her first fight back after knee surgery) and her kicks were especially horrific (but again - she was losing the fight, throwing a 'hail mary' shot with 10 seconds to go is actually a good idea even if it looked utterly ridiculous) but it's weird ppl don't get the idea of feeling out the space and just see 'lOl wMmA fIgHtEr, PuNcHiNg AiR bAd'

Last edited:
She's trying to keep her opponent at a distance and not punching her in the face because she absolutely sucks in the standup

That was awful, but I still think Rin Nakai’s air-jabs vs Miesha were the all time worst

it's called measuring the distance, I don't understand how ppl wouldn't get that, watch a fucking boxing match FFS

I could make a heavily edited 'hilight' of Lennox Lewis pawing at air, would some shertards start a thread saying 'why does Lennox's jab suck?'
(never mind Lewis, count how often Tua punches air in this fight,what do you think he's doing, and why?)

yes Barber's striking is technically bad and the fact she couldn't find her range is a reflection of that (incidentally she started to connect a bit better in round 3, and this was her first fight back after knee surgery) and her kicks were especially horrific (but again - she was losing the fight, throwing a 'hail mary' shot with 10 seconds to go is actually a good idea even if it looked utterly ridiculous) but it's weird ppl don't get the idea of feeling out the space and just see 'lOl wMmA fIgHtEr, PuNcHiNg AiR bAd'
I wouldn't call her spamming of air jabs measuring the distance because that has a purpose. That purpose would be to eventually start making contact with your opponent. She looks like she's just mimicking what she's seen without knowing why or how with no ryhm or reason

I still think she has some potential for wmma though. She's never going to be a Rose, Val or Nunes but she's gonna smash some soccer moms imo

She got embarrassed against roxy in a fight "everyone" thought she would win, and imo it really cracked her confidence.

After that bout she seems to put more effort into not losing bad instead of winning, hence the 10-8 rounds when she is beating the crap out of that oxygen.

Appeared to me she has poor understanding of range. In my experience, that typically happens when somebody spends too much time hitting pads or the bag and not enough time sparring. They’re used to hitting a stationary target and not moving their feet to get them in range.

I’m a real Freud, and I’ll tell you that she doesn’t have any actual instinct to fight, it’s all just choreography for her.
The biggest prospect of WMMA ;)
just embarrassing...

Looks like she is not sparring enough or sparring people who don't move. She has zero feeling for distance and how to get into range. Kinda reminds me of rousey who wasn't sparring either.

Back