Not hating, but can we get psychologists or technicians to analyse Maycee Barber's striking?

That was awful, but I still think Rin Nakai’s air-jabs vs Miesha were the all time worst

Yes, but Miesha having problems to land on a 4'11 opponent is equally embarassing.
The cupcake hasn't learned to strike after 15 years of mma.
And would get her ears get boxed off by any serious male training boxing for 1 year.

And Barber is just terrible

She's so exposed after those kicks. Shame no one has swarmed her as she's trying to get her feet back under her

Shitty training, bad nerves, and fight jitters, which goes back to shitty training. As others have mentioned, she looks like someone who just hits pads without ever learning WHY certain strikes are thrown at certain times. She doesn't know any of the concepts relating to striking, and is just spamming stuff at random. And when that doesn't work, she's lost and gets jittery which is why she's punching from 5' out of range.

This has been the folly of casual MMA fans - finish a few opponents on the feet and suddenly you're lauded as a great striker. Ronda Rousey knocked out a few soccer moms and suddenly she was the second coming of Joe Louis.

Anyone who has been watching the sport longer than a year could see she was pretty mediocre.

Looks like she is not sparring enough or sparring people who don't move. She has zero feeling for distance and how to get into range. Kinda reminds me of rousey who wasn't sparring either.

I think she may have done some sparring for the Nunes fight, but she made the female fighters sign NDAs (nondisclosure agreements) so they wouldn't reveal how bad she was.

Bro, on the streets if you ain't jabbing when you're within 10 feet of your opponent you dead.

Out of genuine curiosity, is there any purpose to constantly be jabbing the air 3 feet infront of your opponent?

Is she trying to keep her opponent at bay, or is she simply unable to judge the distance properly?

It seems like such a waste of energy, considering the telegraphing and effort it takes to do the kicks, she would be trying to actually hit.

EuKdBOxXIAAQoBQ.jpg

BpWEDpk.gif

cNYQDr2.gif

So, as a coach and as my gyms analyst I will say now with certainty... there is no strategy here, she's just throwing shit to the wall and seeing was sticks with very little understanding of distance. In truth I think if she WERE right distance to throw that spin kick, she'd probably just get stepped in on and hurt as it's so slow

it's called measuring the distance (or feeling out / drawing a reaction, but I don't think Barber has advanced to that stage yet), I don't understand how ppl wouldn't get that, watch a fucking boxing match FFS

I could make a heavily edited 'hilight' of Lennox Lewis pawing at air, would some shertards start a thread saying 'why does Lennox's jab suck?'
(never mind Lewis, count how often Tua punches air in this fight,what do you think he's doing, and why?)

yes Barber's striking is technically bad and the fact she couldn't find her range is a reflection of that (incidentally she started to connect a bit better in round 3, and this was her first fight back after knee surgery) and her kicks were especially horrific (but again - she was losing the fight, throwing a 'hail mary' shot with 10 seconds to go is actually a good idea even if it looked utterly ridiculous) but it's weird ppl don't get the idea of feeling out the space and just see 'lOl wMmA fIgHtEr, PuNcHiNg AiR bAd'

Bad examples. Lewis does paw his jab but he is always within striking range. His jab is always right in his opponents' face.

Tua misses a lot of punches but that is what it is. He missed. But he was in range to land them.

Barber was throwing punches that were ending 3 feet away from her opponent. You can't compare the two.

And it wasn't heavily edited. It was a whole fight.

Look at yourself. You are comparing one of the greatest HWs to Maycee Barber. Those two names doesn't belong in the same sentence.

Bad examples. Lewis does paw his jab but he is always within striking range. His jab is always right in his opponents' face.

Tua misses a lot of punches but that is what it is. He missed. But he was in range to land them.

Barber was throwing punches that were ending 3 feet away from her opponent. You can't compare the two.

And it wasn't heavily edited. It was a whole fight.

Look at yourself. You are comparing one of the greatest HWs to Maycee Barber. Those two names doesn't belong in the same sentence.

some context here:
of course it's the full fight I linked to, fucking duh? I'm referring to the condensed hilight of all Maycee's missed punches doing the rounds for ppl to laugh at that is likely what prompted OP to make this thread. Incidentally a lot of Mayce's punches were 'in range to land' in that clip, as well, since they had to be dodged.

My point was that it's possible to make a hilight of Tua or even Lewis missing punches in a similar fashion. Obviously they're better strikers than Maycee Barber and what they're doing actually has a structure, but you could make an edited clip of a bunch of 'missed Tua punches' from that fight and if it was Maycee Barber doing the throwing, redditards and sherdog heavies would be going 'lol Maycee barber punching air, why she so stupid?'

Last edited:
Out of genuine curiosity, is there any purpose to constantly be jabbing the air 3 feet infront of your opponent?

Is she trying to keep her opponent at bay, or is she simply unable to judge the distance properly?

It seems like such a waste of energy, considering the telegraphing and effort it takes to do the kicks, she would be trying to actually hit.

EuKdBOxXIAAQoBQ.jpg

BpWEDpk.gif

cNYQDr2.gif
Not really defending her, but isn't her opponent doing almost the same?

She's chasing the big finish.

some context here:
of course it's the full fight I linked to, fucking duh? I'm referring to the condensed hilight of all Maycee's missed punches doing the rounds for ppl to laugh at that is likely what prompted OP to make this thread. Incidentally a lot of Mayce's punches were 'in range to land' in that clip, as well, since they had to be dodged.

My point was that it's possible to make a hilight of Tua or even Lewis missing punches in a similar fashion. Obviously they're better strikers than Maycee Barber and what they're doing actually has a structure, but you could make an edited clip of a bunch of 'missed Tua punches' from that fight and if it was Maycee Barber doing the throwing, redditards and sherdog heavies would be going 'lol Maycee barber punching air, why she so stupid?'

No, you can not make a highlight from 15 minutes of a Lennox Lewis fight that has that bad of technique, and consistently missing from that far away. You can not.

Not really defending her, but isn't her opponent doing almost the same?

No. Grasso used some foot feints in the fight and that was about it. She was never punching or kicking air from 3' out of range.
Mostly, she just waited for Barber to run in and whacked her with punches on the way in.

I try to give her the benefit of the doubt and assume she's trying to measure distance just not really understanding how. At least as far as the jabs go. The big misses on those kicks, I don't know, maybe she just though they'd look good? Hard to say.

Shit...some of you guys actually did a longer text on her on her using the strikes as s way to find distanse...

<Huh2>

Its called being horrible at striking with contact against another person who tries to hurt her back.

I don't understand the jabbing thing when your opponent is 8 feet away.
I much prefer straightening (not completely though, you have to keep a slight bend in the elbow) my front arm out to judge distance, and to frame on my opponent when he tries to come in (but it's a tactic that mainly suits to taller rangier fighters).

EuKdBOxXIAAQoBQ.jpg

BpWEDpk.gif

cNYQDr2.gif
She bad

Back