Novak Djokovic "pressure is a privilege, my friend"

Hidden_Hypocrisy

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Pressure is a privilege, my friend," said Djokovic, per Yahoo Sports ."Without pressure there is no professional sport. If you are aiming to be at the top of the game you better start learning how to deal with pressure and how to cope with those moments — on the court but also off the court."

Djokovic’s no stranger to pressure, but he’s not letting it stop him: "All that buzz and all that noise is the thing that, I can’t say I don’t see it or I don’t hear it, of course it’s there, but I’ve learned, I’ve developed the mechanism how to deal with it in such a way that it will not impose destruction to me," Djokovic said via Yahoo Sports. It will not wear me down."

If Simone Biles is looking for an ally amongst sports superstars, she’ll have to find someone other than tennis legend Novak Djokovic. The sports’ top-ranked player is accustomed to the pressure surrounding athletes who compete at the highest level. But rather than run from it, Djokovic welcomes the challenge, referring to pressure as "privilege".

After Biles withdrew from the remaining individual all-around competition at the Olympics, mental health and pressure became a hot topic for other athletes involved with the Tokyo Games. One such competitor, Djokovic, embraces the pressure.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.foxnews.com/sports/novak-djokovic-pressure-privilege-players.amp

I think I read here that one huge issue that is underreported is that Simone had been taking Ritalin for ADHD since she was a child but can't do it because of new(?) regulations in Tokyo.

Literally nothing Djokovic says in the article is related to Biles in any way.

You are literally 100% wrong.

Please highlight where then....clearly trying to twist it to suit a narrative.

TOKYO (AP) — With the topic of athletes’ mental health and pressure being discussed at the Olympics, Novak Djokovic said “pressure is a privilege.”

The top-ranked Serb was asked how he deals with the pressure of attempting to accomplish something that no man has done before in tennis: completing a Golden Slam.

Steffi Graf in 1988 is the only tennis player to achieve the Golden Slam, winning all four Grand Slam tournaments and Olympic gold in the same calendar year.

“Pressure is a privilege, my friend,” Djokovic said in answer to a reporter's question after winning both of his matches at the Ariake Tennis Park on Wednesday, beating Alejandro Davidovich Fokina of Spain to reach the quarterfinals in singles then teaming with partner Nina Stojanovic for another victory in the opening round of mixed doubles.

“Without pressure there is no professional sport,” Djokovic added. “If you are aiming to be at the top of the game you better start learning how to deal with pressure and how to cope with those moments — on the court but also off the court."

Djokovic, who has already won the Australian Open, French Open and Wimbledon this year and needs the Tokyo Games title and the U.S. Open trophy to complete a Golden Slam, said he has learned to deal with all expectations.

“All that buzz and all that noise is the thing that, I can’t say I don’t see it or I don’t hear it, of course it’s there, but I’ve learned, I’ve developed the mechanism how to deal with it in such a way that it will not impose destruction to me. It will not wear me down,” Djokovic said. "I feel I have enough experience to know myself how to step on the court and play my best tennis.”

Djokovic struggled more with mental pressure at the start of his career when he wasn't winning as much as longtime rivals Roger Federer and Rafael Nadal. He won the Wimbledon title this month to match Federer and Nadal with his 20th Grand Slam.

“Of course. It’s normal,” Djokovic said. “No one is born with those abilities. Those abilities come with time.”

Tennis player Naomi Osaka and American gymnast Simone Biles are among the Olympians who have talked openly about their mental health troubles.

Djokovic's only Olympic medal was bronze in singles from his first Olympic appearances at the 2008 Beijing Games. He then lost to Juan Martin del Potro of Argentina in his next two Games: in the 2012 bronze-medal match and the first round at the 2016 Rio de Janeiro Games.

“Rio was (a) very tough loss for me,” Djokovic said. “I came into Rio as also a big favorite, winning four out of last five Grand Slams, No. 1 in the world. So I know that feeling; it’s kind of a similar feeling now. But I’m a more experienced player; I know mentally what I need to do and how to work things around on and off the court in order to feel the best that I possible can feel.”

Please highlight where then....clearly trying to twist it to suit a narrative.

TOKYO (AP) — With the topic of athletes’ mental health and pressure being discussed at the Olympics, Novak Djokovic said “pressure is a privilege.”

The top-ranked Serb was asked how he deals with the pressure of attempting to accomplish something that no man has done before in tennis: completing a Golden Slam.

Steffi Graf in 1988 is the only tennis player to achieve the Golden Slam, winning all four Grand Slam tournaments and Olympic gold in the same calendar year.

“Pressure is a privilege, my friend,” Djokovic said in answer to a reporter's question after winning both of his matches at the Ariake Tennis Park on Wednesday, beating Alejandro Davidovich Fokina of Spain to reach the quarterfinals in singles then teaming with partner Nina Stojanovic for another victory in the opening round of mixed doubles.

“Without pressure there is no professional sport,” Djokovic added. “If you are aiming to be at the top of the game you better start learning how to deal with pressure and how to cope with those moments — on the court but also off the court."

Djokovic, who has already won the Australian Open, French Open and Wimbledon this year and needs the Tokyo Games title and the U.S. Open trophy to complete a Golden Slam, said he has learned to deal with all expectations.

“All that buzz and all that noise is the thing that, I can’t say I don’t see it or I don’t hear it, of course it’s there, but I’ve learned, I’ve developed the mechanism how to deal with it in such a way that it will not impose destruction to me. It will not wear me down,” Djokovic said. "I feel I have enough experience to know myself how to step on the court and play my best tennis.”

Djokovic struggled more with mental pressure at the start of his career when he wasn't winning as much as longtime rivals Roger Federer and Rafael Nadal. He won the Wimbledon title this month to match Federer and Nadal with his 20th Grand Slam.

“Of course. It’s normal,” Djokovic said. “No one is born with those abilities. Those abilities come with time.”

Tennis player Naomi Osaka and American gymnast Simone Biles are among the Olympians who have talked openly about their mental health troubles.

Djokovic's only Olympic medal was bronze in singles from his first Olympic appearances at the 2008 Beijing Games. He then lost to Juan Martin del Potro of Argentina in his next two Games: in the 2012 bronze-medal match and the first round at the 2016 Rio de Janeiro Games.

“Rio was (a) very tough loss for me,” Djokovic said. “I came into Rio as also a big favorite, winning four out of last five Grand Slams, No. 1 in the world. So I know that feeling; it’s kind of a similar feeling now. But I’m a more experienced player; I know mentally what I need to do and how to work things around on and off the court in order to feel the best that I possible can feel.”
If there's a male equivalent of Simone Biles in modern sport it's Novak Djokovic

He's arguably the GOAT in his sport as Biles is in hers

Biles withdrew due to pressure, the pressure she brought on herself btw by calling herself GOAT everywhere she went

The pressure Biles couldn't handle is the type of pressure Djoko has been dealing with constantly his entire career

USA has many successful sportsmen, Serbia does not. Which means when he's playing, his country is watching. Djokovic has been carrying on his shoulder that weight every year for the past 10+ years. Biles can't do it once every 4 years

Djokovic is the type of sportsman Biles thinks she is but as we can see, isn't.

If there's a male equivalent of Simone Biles in modern sport it's Novak Djokovic

He's arguably the GOAT in his sport as Biles is in hers

Biles withdrew due to pressure, the pressure she brought on herself btw by calling herself GOAT everywhere she went

The pressure Biles couldn't handle is the type of pressure Djoko has been dealing with constantly his entire career

USA has many successful sportsmen, Serbia does not. Which means when he's playing, his country is watching. Djokovic has been carrying on his shoulder that weight every year for the past 10+ years. Biles can't do it once every 4 years

Djokovic is the type of sportsman Biles thinks she is but as we can see, isn't.

Sure but pretending the article suggests Djoko in any way is referencing Biles is disingenuous.

(Paraphrasing).

Reporter: You're on the verge of doing something no other male tennis player has ever done.....how do you handle the pressure?
Djoko: I feel handling pressure is a vital compoment of being a top athlete....i thrive on the pressure.

Lazy journalist: If Simone Biles is looking for an ally amongst sports superstars, she’ll have to find someone other than tennis legend Djokovic.
SJWs: OMG!!!! Djoko just went in on Biles!!! Cancel this insensitive twat!!!!!!!

Sure but pretending the article suggests Djoko in any way is referencing Biles is disingenuous.

(Paraphrasing).

Reporter: You're on the verge of doing something no other male tennis player has ever done.....how do you handle the pressure?
Djoko: I feel handling pressure is a vital compoment of being a top athlete....i thrive on the pressure.

Lazy journalist: If Simone Biles is looking for an ally amongst sports superstars, she’ll have to find someone other than tennis legend Djokovic.
SJWs: OMG!!!! Djoko just went in on Biles!!! Cancel this insensitive twat!!!!!!!
Alright so it might be a clickbait, but based on what he said here it is safe to assume that he doesn't excuse Biles like many other people do for some weird reason

Alright so it might be a clickbait, but based on what he said here it is safe to assume that he doesn't excuse Biles like many other people do for some weird reason

No idea.

We are singing from the same song sheet in reference to Biles I think, but this particular narrative regarding Djoko is as you say clickbait trying to piggy back on her situation.

Cheap “journalism”.

Henry Cejudo also weighed in. Said every athlete will have moments of doubt where they want to quit like Simone did. That's when you need someone who isn't afraid to give you a kick in the ass, and right your head.

Obviously Simone doesn't have anyone like that because-- like too many stars in pro sports-- she's treated like royalty. Coaches are afraid to coach. The powers that be, obviously, will side with the mentally cracking athlete. They'll defend and ideate her weakness.

It's like when parents side with their shitty kid who gets sent to the principal's office rather than the teacher/principal who are trying to teach the kid discipline. What happens when you have shitty parents like that? Well, their shitty kid grows up to be just like them. The cycle repeats.

It’s safe to assume that he is talking about himself.

Everything else is conjecture.

Kinda ironic that Djoko just had a bit of a mental breakdown in the singles.....and has just quit the doubles, fucking over his team mate.
Let's see if the media coddles and adulates him, praising this as the greatest, bravest thing he ever did. When he threw that racket into the stands...I gasped at the heroism. It was practically like the GI's who stormed the beach at Normandy. They can't criticize this, now. Imagine the risk to his left shoulder! He just saw the Golden Slam slip through his fingers! Three Olympics in a row without a medal! He might kill himself. We should all walk on eggshells.

Oh my, they're in quite the pickle, aren't they?
<Grimes01>

Not only did Djokovic ruin his singles title gold medal run. He destroyed the mixed doubles run by quitting his doubles game. The entire Serbian team (captain and teammates) wanted him to focus on playing singles but he insisted on doing doubles as well. He ruined Serbian's run for any medals. Quite selfish and this is an example of doing way too much instead of listening to your body. He pulled a Simon Biles on the doubles team because he overestimated his abilities...

I don’t even get why doubles is a thing much less mixed doubles and all the stupid shit like wheelchair tennis.

Can't believe Novak didn't medal.
During his match with Alex I thought to myself this is the same behavior he had when he entered a tournament just to maintain his #1 status and which he won enough matches for that he gave up on his next match. He admitted this.
I missed the bronze match so can't comment.

Novak slamming and throwing his racket isn't new. He calls it passion but personally I think he has too much anger.

On to the us open to win all 4 slams in a calender year I guess. Man, I really wanted him to win gold.

Can't believe Novak didn't medal.
During his match with Alex I thought to myself this is the same behavior he had when he entered a tournament just to maintain his #1 status and which he won enough matches for that he gave up on his next match. He admitted this.
I missed the bronze match so can't comment.

Novak slamming and throwing his racket isn't new. He calls it passion but personally I think he has too much anger.

On to the us open to win all 4 slams in a calender year I guess. Man, I really wanted him to win gold.

Which is why your comparison to Djokovic and Simone Biles made absolutely no sense.

Saying Djokovic is no stranger to pressure as if Simone didn't face any pressure throughout her career and excelled was asinine. She's the most decorated gymnast in the world with 31 combined Olympic and World championship medals. You don't accomplish that much without facing serious pressure day in and day out. She's been an elite pro gymnast since 2013.

If a tennis player doesn't think they can perform they simply lose. The chance of them getting injured (more than usual) is practically non-existent to none. Djokovic quit ~ just like Simone Biles. Plain and simple. If a gymnast doesn't think they can perform he/she can really seriously injured themselves. I am not super familiar with twisties but from what i read its serious enough to not attempt to fight it.

Basically what I am saying is your post was stupid.

Which is why your comparison to Djokovic and Simone Biles made absolutely no sense.

Saying Djokovic is no stranger to pressure as if Simone didn't face any pressure throughout her career and excelled was asinine. She's the most decorated gymnast in the world with 31 combined Olympic and World championship medals. You don't accomplish that much without facing serious pressure day in and day out. She's been an elite pro gymnast since 2013.

If a tennis player doesn't think they can perform they simply lose. The chance of them getting injured (more than usual) is practically non-existent to none. Djokovic quit ~ just like Simone Biles. Plain and simple. If a gymnast doesn't think they can perform he/she can really seriously injured themselves. I am not super familiar with twisties but from what i read its serious enough to not attempt to fight it.

Basically what I am saying is your post was stupid.

tennis players are some of the most injured/battered athletes in any sport lol

tennis players are some of the most injured/battered athletes in any sport lol

And gymnasts aren't??? Just look at what they do day in and day out. They miss/slip on a balance beam it could be a world of hurt for them. With tennis players its wear and tear.

And the point is when a tennis player experiences mental fatigue or a weird mental block that prevents them from performing properly they won't get more injured if they fight through and play tennis. They just play bad tennis. That's not case for a gymnast. If they can't perform properly they can seriously injure themselves. They should practice in a safe environment until they figure it out but to ask them to perform in live competition when their mind isn't right is dangerous.

In high school I once had a weird mental block and suddenly couldn't hit a forehand correctly for 2 weeks. It would loop higher than usual or go out. It was weird and during those few games i actually ran around and hit more with my backhand. Eventually i fixed it hitting forehands continuously during practice for several weeks but it was annoying and my tennis partner (i was competing in doubles) and my opponents did notice it.

Last edited:
Back