Official Coaches and Trainers Discussion

About 7 weeks! Way better than 8 days like the debut fight haha
That’s the way of it sometimes. You save their bacon and then get a two fight contract that covers the short notice fight plus one more with a full camp. I’m sure you guys will do great, hit me up with a DM or on the FB group if you want to share any details on the game plan or opponent.

This is a huge opportunity that you all earned. I’m really excited And happy for you

That’s the way of it sometimes. You save their bacon and then get a two fight contract that covers the short notice fight plus one more with a full camp. I’m sure you guys will do great, hit me up with a DM or on the FB group if you want to share any details on the game plan or opponent.

This is a huge opportunity that you all earned. I’m really excited And happy for you

thank you coach! And i def will be hitting you up!

At what point did you guys transition from training/competing to coaching? I'm not at the level yet where I can be coaching fighters but I love the technique and training in MMA and in the future I'd like to get involved possibly. I have instructed BJJ classes and still sometimes (very rarely now) do and really like it but I know it's much different than coaching fighters.

At what point did you guys transition from training/competing to coaching? I'm not at the level yet where I can be coaching fighters but I love the technique and training in MMA and in the future I'd like to get involved possibly. I have instructed BJJ classes and still sometimes (very rarely now) do and really like it but I know it's much different than coaching fighters.

In my case is was a total accident.

My best friend and I started training in high school. He was a grade ahead of me and when graduated he got a job where he wasnt able to train at night and I basically took over as his coach over the summer. After the summer he got his own spot and money was tight and I just took over as his striking coach. Long story short he we were real successful and he ended up with a pro record of 12-2. Because of his success others reached out for private training and gyms reached out as well. I got pretty lucky i like to think. Im skipping out on some parts but that’s basically my story lol

and yes i did fight but i was a shit fighter who couldnt listen to his coach

ive been on the mats for about 16 years and coaching for probably a decade. It’s been full time for the last few years.

i followed the typical route of being an advanced student who gets asked to run a few classes in exchange for membership. When I got asked by some people about private lessons my coach said go for it, he wasn’t interested in doing them. I started slinging mitts for a little extra cash which led to me taking more of a role as a coach.

I moved to the city and started boxing and after a few fights (bringing my combined record to 1-2 in combat sports) I hung up the gloves and focused on coaching and helping out at the gym. Another offer to trade classes for tuition, another offer to do private lessons. I took that shit and ran with it and in a few years quit my day job and doubled my income.

I started missing working with fighters though (I was helping with the boxing team which I still love to this day) so I started reaching out around town to find mma fighters who wanted free work in exchange for some social media love if they like what we do. On top of that I attended my first CSA coaches clinic and started traveling the country learning from other high level coaches. I’ve been to Vegas, San Diego, LA, philly, NYC, and Austin on “work trips” where I get to learn from some great coaches and sharpen my game. Eventually I was offered a Job as a striking coach at american top team Portland. Moved up to replace the boxing coach there and after a trip to ATT Florida to spend a week with the coaches there I was made the head striking coach.

for me, the decision to stop fighting mma was easy. I got my ass kicked, realized there were levels to this game and that was that. I loved striking and avoided jits and wrestling like the plague. Training and sparring was a blast so I left it there. With boxing I got a late start, i was in my 30s when i had my first fight. At that point I had a wife, a kid, a full time job and a budding business as a trainer so trying to fit fighting in didn’t make sense. I still fantasize about doing some masters division tournaments but idk if I’ll ever have the time for it.

Necro bump:

Coaching fuck up of the night:

Apparently “hands up” in Spanish (manos arriba) sounds an awful like like “hands of stone!” (Manos de Piedra) when you’re a wonder bread white coach from the Pacific Northwest.

Trying to learn Spanish to coach my Mexican boxers. One kid has a habit of brawling and apparently I was encouraging him to go full out Roberto Duran during his rounds instead of getting him to keep his damn hands up in the pocket.

How’s it been for the rest of you salty dogs grinding away at the helm of your ships?

Top discussion, Doc. Have now pinned this to sub marquee after shuffling about threads, making you our host. Keep up the good work, brother. @DoctorTaco

Necro bump:

Apparently “hands up” in Spanish (manos arriba) sounds an awful like like “hands of stone!” (Manos de Piedra) when you’re a wonder bread white coach from the Pacific Northwest.

Trying to learn Spanish to coach my Mexican boxers. One kid has a habit of brawling and apparently I was encouraging him to go full out Roberto Duran during his rounds instead of getting him to keep his damn hands up in the pocket.

How’s it been for the rest of you salty dogs grinding away at the helm of your ships?

It's all in the tongue roll when it comes to Spanish. But perhaps you should continue to encourage him to be the next Roberto Duran. Too many people hide behind their guard like turtles. The world needs people for the just bleed gods.

Necro bump:

I'm not seeing the problem: most people think Duran was a mindless brawler, but he was actually a surprisingly slick boxer with good defence which he used for his offence. Duran's inside fighting game is a lost art in modern boxing, if someone gets good at it he can fuck up a lot of opponents.

I'm not seeing the problem: most people think Duran was a mindless brawler, but he was actually a surprisingly slick boxer with good defence which he used for his offence. Duran's inside fighting game is a lost art in modern boxing, if someone gets good at it he can fuck up a lot of opponents.

The problem is modern day referees who break fighters almost immediately so proper boxing clinch becomes a joke.

Im a coach and a trainer and am a part of a few groups on Facebook that talk shop- trouble shoot problems with staffing or fighters, get second opinions, and talk/brag about your latest conquests and victories.

Check in if you’re a coach or trainer for
Any striking art. We can get the ball rolling in this thread and then move to a private chat thread where we can be more open about who we are and where we work out of
Hi I’m asking direct questions until I can start my own thread in the hopes someone will give me feedback.
Is there an online series or book etc. That goes over all the facets of inside fighting. There is not much on YouTube so if you or anyone knows of a great recsourse please let me know
Thank you I hope you have time
Im a coach and a trainer and am a part of a few groups on Facebook that talk shop- trouble shoot problems with staffing or fighters, get second opinions, and talk/brag about your latest conquests and victories.

Check in if you’re a coach or trainer for
Any striking art. We can get the ball rolling in this thread and then move to a private chat thread where we can be more open about who we are and where we work out of
Hi I’m asking direct questions until I can start my own thread in the hopes someone will give me feedback.
Is there an online series or book etc. That goes over all the facets of inside fighting. There is not much on YouTube so if you or anyone knows of a great resource please let me know
Thank you for your time

The problem is modern day referees who break fighters almost immediately so proper boxing clinch becomes a joke.
Is there an online series or book etc. That goes over all the facets of inside fighting. There is not much on YouTube so if you or anyone knows of a great resource please let me know
Thank you for your time

Thank you for your time
I would check over at dynamic striking and see if anyone there has anything. Teddy atlas
Has worked with them a fair bit, he might have something that covers it

I would check over at dynamic striking and see if anyone there has anything. Teddy atlas
Has worked with them a fair bit, he might have something that covers it
Thank you for the reply. I actually have downloaded this through dynamic striking. I would say it’s ok but is very basic. It also doesn’t account for any other guards than just a standard one. I think this is a place where a lot of content could be produced by coaches.
Thanks anyways

Is there an online series or book etc. That goes over all the facets of inside fighting. There is not much on YouTube so if you or anyone knows of a great recsourse please let me know
Thank you I hope you have time

Thank you for your time
Gotcha. I’m not a coach in an official capacity. I fill in for the head trainer sometimes and also teach youths on occasion. I got rid of Facebook I found it more distracting than useful so that kind leaves me out. If you knew any content off the top of your head that would suffice. But thank you for your response.

Boots ennis would do well to learn this art and become complete, + some defensive work. But I agree definitely not a mindless brawler

Back