Official DOOM ETERNAL Discussion

Different strokes for different folks I guess. This game reminds me of the Metroid Prime series a lot, and I love those games. I enjoyed Doom 2016 as well, especially the rune challenges and arcade mode, but I do like that id mixed it up for Eternal..

Speaking of which.. are we getting arcade mode for Eternal? That would be dope... throw some modifiers in there like the Halo MCC has and this game will have years of replay value..
Im still torn. I like what i liked, but really didnt like what i didnt like.

Some other folks say they liked the story in 2016 more than this. This one wouldve been fine if it continued off directly from when the guy gets put into stasis. Now...are we the same guy? Doom ship orbiting earth? Perhaps its explained in the lore. I read most of it, but it got wordy.

Maybe if i play again the jumping and that cocksucker wont bother me as much since i know what to do now.

One aspect of the jumping shit i didnt like was when id have to jump, scale, crawl, and sprint to what i believed to be a secret area, only to find out, no, its the path toward the story. I found that a lot of secret areas were easier to get to than to just the next step.

For those who don't know, the grenades you shoot out of the launcher have the same effect on Caco's as the ones shot from the shotgun. I figured that was the case and meant to do that the whole campaign but never got around to it, lol. I'm playing through the master levels on Nightmare and testing some tactics I've seen others use, pretty fun so far

Hot swapping between the Ballista and SSG makes mince meat outta the Marauder. He's still a pain with others around but you can get him outta there pretty quick

If you’re low on SSG/Balista ammo a rocket launcher with remote detonation can help with the Marauder as well. Wait til it’s behind him and detonate. Should do a decent amount of damage.

I just went and bought an XBOX ONE and Doom 2016, Doom Eternal, and Wolfenstein..

I'm on lockdown so I figured I'd play these games.

I kinda spoiled Doom Eternal by watching the boss fights on YouTube

If you’re low on SSG/Balista ammo a rocket launcher with remote detonation can help with the Marauder as well. Wait til it’s behind him and detonate. Should do a decent amount of damage.
If you ain't chainsawing fools every 30 seconds, you ain't tryin'

I just went and bought an XBOX ONE and Doom 2016, Doom Eternal, and Wolfenstein..

I'm on lockdown so I figured I'd play these games.

I kinda spoiled Doom Eternal by watching the boss fights on YouTube
Don't worry, you'll still get your ass handed to you..

The beauty of this game's chaos is no 2 playthroughs will ever be the same..

For instance, in the Gore nest level, there's this wide open area with tons of enemies where you need 3 keys to progress.. there's a quad damage pickup and a full health pickup.. the first time I played through it I needed to use those powerups just to survive.. then I played through it again and found a way to pick my shots while I flew around the level and I didn't even need to use them at all...

Finished it on UV, started it up on Nightmare.. beginning was rough due to not having dash after getting used to just dashing into and out of the thick of things, working on the 3rd mission now.

The first slayer gate on Nightmare was a pain in the ass. I really should have come back with upgrades, but I hate going back through a level for just one unlock. Took like an hour.

Can't even begin to express how much I hate the marauders. It's not even fun. Ahhhhh

Can't even begin to express how much I hate the marauders. It's not even fun. Ahhhhh

I'm almost to the first Marauder on Nightmare, not looking forward to fighting that asshole in that small room.

I actually kind of like fighting him now.. he's pretty easy if you can time him right..

Nightmare is an interesting experience so far. Some segments have been much harder and others have been way easier, and that is partially due to the increased difficulty forcing me to use stuff that I never really bothered with before. I never paid much attention to blood punch on my ultraviolence playthrough (I couldn't even recall that it takes two glory kills to charge), but I'm using it a lot more often to clear out hordes of little enemies because even the small fry can take me out so quickly. I also didn't do much sniping before or use the microwave beam much, but they're both good enough that I might actually stick with the heavy cannon and plasma rifle whereas before I pretty much switched over to the chain gun and ballista. Chain gun with shield is pretty good though.

Overall I'm leaning even more heavily towards crowd control than in my first playthrough where I really just abused the ice grenade.

Last edited:
The arachnotrons are OP and this game is harder than Nioh 2.

The arachnotrons are OP and this game is harder than Nioh 2.
Use the scope on the machine gun or sticky bombs from the shotgun. It makes pretty easy work of their turret.

Use the scope on the machine gun or sticky bombs from the shotgun. It makes pretty easy work of their turret.
Yep. Arachnotrons are made trivial just by destroying their turret with a single sticky bomb or scoped shot. Afterwards all they can do is launch easily-avoidable grenades and try to get up close to melee you.

Game is repetitive ass.
I'm really curious why you feel this way. From start to (nearly) finish, Eternal is constantly introducing brand new mechanics in the form of weapons, abilities, and enemies. Its levels are also varied both in terms of theme and layout (they aren't just a string of arenas like some of 2016's tended to be, for example; there's platforming and light puzzle solving all throughout).

Back