Official DOOM ETERNAL Discussion

Yep. Arachnotrons are made trivial just by destroying their turret with a single sticky bomb or scoped shot. Afterwards all they can do is launch easily-avoidable grenades and try to get up close to melee you.
It's especially easy if you have the slow motion rune too

It's amusing how a lot of the complaints in this thread basically boil down to the game being difficult

Marauder is no fun= game is too difficult
Too much jumping= game is too difficult
Forced to use certain weapons on certain enemies= game is too difficult

I've learned that the combat has just as much to do with positioning as well as the weapon being used. I managed to beat all the slayer gates without even worrying about my shots killing their targets. That may not make sense, but basically, I just kept moving, picked my shots to make sure they connected but kept moving..

The marauder is a joke if you know how to position yourself.

I'm really curious why you feel this way. From start to (nearly) finish, Eternal is constantly introducing brand new mechanics in the form of weapons, abilities, and enemies. Its levels are also varied both in terms of theme and layout (they aren't just a string of arenas like some of 2016's tended to be, for example; there's platforming and light puzzle solving all throughout).
I'm particularly curious if he was a fan of 2016

Marauders are not that hard when u are in an open space, that first encounter sucks dick tho

I'm really curious why you feel this way. From start to (nearly) finish, Eternal is constantly introducing brand new mechanics in the form of weapons, abilities, and enemies. Its levels are also varied both in terms of theme and layout (they aren't just a string of arenas like some of 2016's tended to be, for example; there's platforming and light puzzle solving all throughout).

That guy always blames the game if he is shit at them. Noticed it a few times over the years.

It's amusing how a lot of the complaints in this thread basically boil down to the game being difficult
I think there's a bit more to it than that. Doom as a series is known for its difficulty. A lot of the people having issues already played Doom 2016, which wasn't exactly a cake walk. It's not just that Eternal is difficult. It's about why it is difficult for some people. I think a lot of it is that it looks like a duck and quacks like a duck, but it isn't a duck. It looks like a classic FPS, it looks and controls like D16, but it's a totally different beast. If you play it like you're used to playing shooters, it will be very difficult for you.
The Marauder really threw me off because until that point, the game was about running and dashing and double jumping and flipping off monkey bars and teleporting, but then suddenly you're locked in a small room with an enemy who plays like a Darknut in Zelda or something. The lesson Eternal preached before this was: keep moving or die. Then it became: stay locked into medium range of the Marauder or die. It was like a hard shift into a totally different game, and all the skills and tricks I picked up before were useless. Which is actually a cool idea and great way to add some contrast, but...man. Fuck that guy. Lol

I'm about 3 levels into Doom. Once I beat Doom, I'll play Doom Eternal.

Right now I'm downloading Diablo Reaper of Souls

Good video on Battlemode

Satandamn, there are sooooooooooooooooooooooo many tantalizing ways for them to pimp out further playable demons in future updates or dlc. Just flying around as a revenant, my lord of death..........

Which guns should I focus on upgrading?
Shotgun and Plasma Rifle?

I wouldn't get attached to (or place a heavy emphasis on) any one specific weapon. Just perform upgrades that you think will help you versus specific enemies/situations (for example, reducing the scoped shot reload time so that you can quickly pop off two shots to destroy both Mancubus cannons from afar).

This game's load times spoiled me. I figured I'd go replay Doom 2016 before finishing my nightmare run, and for whatever reason even on my SSD loading a checkpoint takes like 20 seconds whereas in Eternal it's like 5.

Edit: I guess that's just a Vulkan thing. Game loads about as fast as Eternal in Open GL. Weird. I don't actually remember which one I used when the game came out (I don't remember if it even had Vulkan support when I played it originally).

Last edited:
Cant play this with preworkout in my system, too frustrating. Heaps of bullshit that kill you in 2 hits. Dont know how people are playing this on ultra nightmare.

I fought the first merauder and beat him without dying..but i was just fighting him and his stupid dog. I know its gonna get much harder later in the game

I think there's a bit more to it than that. Doom as a series is known for its difficulty. A lot of the people having issues already played Doom 2016, which wasn't exactly a cake walk. It's not just that Eternal is difficult. It's about why it is difficult for some people. I think a lot of it is that it looks like a duck and quacks like a duck, but it isn't a duck. It looks like a classic FPS, it looks and controls like D16, but it's a totally different beast. If you play it like you're used to playing shooters, it will be very difficult for you.
The Marauder really threw me off because until that point, the game was about running and dashing and double jumping and flipping off monkey bars and teleporting, but then suddenly you're locked in a small room with an enemy who plays like a Darknut in Zelda or something. The lesson Eternal preached before this was: keep moving or die. Then it became: stay locked into medium range of the Marauder or die. It was like a hard shift into a totally different game, and all the skills and tricks I picked up before were useless. Which is actually a cool idea and great way to add some contrast, but...man. Fuck that guy. Lol
Thats the thing i respect about this game. They took crazy chances and threw in a monkeywrench about how you thought you were gonna play this game. That took big brass balls. They werent content at all with just making doom'16 with new shit. Its so different it would be hard to even go back to the old game. DOOM ETERNAL is outrageous. Not enough games like that now.

This part right here I hated the most my first play through because I didn't have a slow down in mid air rune.. Took me easily 25 tries and i got lucky and was able to hang on the ledge of the platform right when it was about to close I got in.

I'm sure it's much easier on the PC, but on the ps4 controller some of the stuff in this game is absolutely brutal. I'm thankful that I at least finished an Ultra Violence run! no way I could ever do nightmare or ultra nightmare.

This game's load times spoiled me. I figured I'd go replay Doom 2016 before finishing my nightmare run, and for whatever reason even on my SSD loading a checkpoint takes like 20 seconds whereas in Eternal it's like 5.

Edit: I guess that's just a Vulkan thing. Game loads about as fast as Eternal in Open GL. Weird. I don't actually remember which one I used when the game came out (I don't remember if it even had Vulkan support when I played it originally).
2016 loads slow as hell, pardon the pun, on my comp too, while Eternal blazes.

This part right here I hated the most my first play through because I didn't have a slow down in mid air rune.. Took me easily 25 tries and i got lucky and was able to hang on the ledge of the platform right when it was about to close I got in.

I'm sure it's much easier on the PC, but on the ps4 controller some of the stuff in this game is absolutely brutal. I'm thankful that I at least finished an Ultra Violence run! no way I could ever do nightmare or ultra nightmare.

Funny thing is you can skip the first wall and go right for the hovering ones. I think I saw a 'tuber do that on Ultra-Nightmare, IIRC he even latched on to the one facing away from the jump pad

Edit: my aim is trash and I dont have the reflexes for this

Last edited:
Turns out everything I thought was missing was just unlockable perks! We're ripping and tearing now boys! This game is a blast.

First focus on the basic weapons from each ammo pool. Shotgun Sticky Bombs and Plasma Rifle Heat Blast will get you outta some jams. Don't sleep on the Heavy Cannon since you'll be using that a lot too. HC sniper mod is great for one-shotting weak points and the micro missiles are useful for major damage (Remember once you've fully upgraded a mod you get a challenge which if completed further buffs the mod - Micro Missiles for example you end up being able to spray and pray).

Back