Official Judo Thread

Northern girls are great, in my experience
So far, they're definitely better than Aussie girls!

No worries, if your coach trained with Steve he must be pretty experienced. The story about the Serbian guy I first read in the Kashiwazaki Shimewaza masterclass book, so that gives you an idea of how high an esteem he was held in
Yeah, he was pretty good in his day. British champ a few times in the 80s.

Even if you don't get a chance to train there it's definitely worth thinking about popping to the Lake District if you're nearby, one of the most beautiful parts of the world. Loads of good romantic locations you can go for a walk in and then tuck yourself away in a nice pub for a decent meal afterwards, and I say that as a Southener/London dweller.
Turns out we will be in the Lake District for a moment, so I'm pretty stoked about that.

Again my man, the advice is much appreciated.

So far, they're definitely better than Aussie girls!
Ha, I have no experience with Aussie girls so will take you word for it.

Yeah, he was pretty good in his day. British champ a few times in the 80s.
Awesome we were good back in the 80s and early 90s, sadly pickings are a little slimmer nowadays.

Turns out we will be in the Lake District for a moment, so I'm pretty stoked about that.
Cool well enjoy it. I can recommend Keswick, I did my DofE around there, it is pretty stunning landscape and decent pubs/hotels etc... If you're going to go walking make sure you buy a physical OS map before hand, because even if you get signal Google maps is going to be flaky. You don't want to be stuck on the side of a mountain with the rain going sideways because of the wind and have no idea where you are.

Also be wary of filling a water bottle from a stream when going up hill as you my find a hundred feet up that said stream has a dead sheep in it...

Again my man, the advice is much appreciated.
No worries, any time, always glad to help people out when it comes to British Judo and getting the sport a higher profile.

I enjoy watching videos of dudes I dream of being when I grow up, to help boost my low, low morale on days where I feel like I'm the worst dude to ever train. In BJJ, I love watching Rafa Mendes. In wrestling, J'Den Cox. Back when I boxed, I loved watching Muhammad Ali. As you can tell, I have a preference for guys who move, who are highly agile, slightly unorthodox, beautiful, flashy.

I don't watch enough Judo comps obviously, but who has/had a Judo style like this? Who is a agility/cunning/showboaty judoka? Who is the guy/gal that looks like they're dancing on the tatami? Who is the Muhammad Ali of Judo?

Just some names that come to mind:
Mike Swain, Kashiwazaki, Shinji Hosokawa, Tokio Hirano

should throw Neil in there too. dude had a variety of spices.

Teddy would be in the mix, but he's been able to play a game that's all but un-counter-able. he'd still be great, but one of the Soviets would have picked him up by now...

Thank you for the suggestions, gents!

Another question; can anyone identify what throw ocurrs here at :52 and :57? the IJF website says Tai Otoshi, but it kinda looks like an Ashi Guruma if I squint hard enough?

I would say tai otoshi for both. The throws are related, like hiza guruma and sasae, but have a different throwing arc. Tai otoshi is largely the end of an arc, throwing downwards.

Thank you for the suggestions, gents!

Another question; can anyone identify what throw ocurrs here at :52 and :57? the IJF website says Tai Otoshi, but it kinda looks like an Ashi Guruma if I squint hard enough?

Tai otoshi to my eyes. Quite often, leg positions can border somewhere between different throws. Tai otoshi is a hand throw which we can see in the video, whereas ashi guruma is not a hand throw.

@JudokaUK You know much about Elvis Gordon, any anecdotes or stories?
Used to be on the UK Olympic team for a long time, like a decade, known for his newaza.

Beyond strong, I mean crazy strong, phenomenal athlete.

Good lad on a night out, got the opportunity to have a beer and some banter with him once. He wasn't drinking much, just gently nursing a pint for most of the evening, but he was entertaining and very down to earth.

Currently coaching some young lads out in Germany for one of the Bundesliga teams, I think, may have remembered that from our conversation.

But, yeah, great guy and exceptional athlete.

Used to be on the UK Olympic team for a long time, like a decade, known for his newaza.

Beyond strong, I mean crazy strong, phenomenal athlete.

Good lad on a night out, got the opportunity to have a beer and some banter with him once. He wasn't drinking much, just gently nursing a pint for most of the evening, but he was entertaining and very down to earth.

Currently coaching some young lads out in Germany for one of the Bundesliga teams, I think, may have remembered that from our conversation.

But, yeah, great guy and exceptional athlete.

Sorry to say he died about 8 years ago, that was why I asked.

He was a well known and respected bouncer in Wolverhampton in the 80s, that's how I heard about him; he'd bounced my dad. So I'm not surprised he was nursing a pint rather than drinking.

Cheers for getting back to me.

As an aside, does anyone know anything of Stafford Judo Club?
I've moved house this week and it's about 10 minutes drive from where I am.

Sorry to say he died about 8 years ago, that was why I asked.

He was a well known and respected bouncer in Wolverhampton in the 80s, that's how I heard about him; he'd bounced my dad. So I'm not surprised he was nursing a pint rather than drinking.

Cheers for getting back to me.
Sorry I completely cocked that up and rad as WINSTON Godon, I never Elvis, but he was supposed to be supremely strong and quite popular.

As an aside, does anyone know anything of Stafford Judo Club?
I've moved house this week and it's about 10 minutes drive from where I am.
Dependng on how far you're wiling to travel:
Hardy Spicer:
https://www.britishjudo.org.uk/club/hardy-spicer-83-judo-club/
https://www.sportbirmingham.org/directory/hardy-spicer-judo-club

Erdington
https://www.britishjudo.org.uk/club/erdington-judo-club/

Wolverhampton
https://www.britishjudo.org.uk/club/wolverhampton-judo-club/
https://wolverhampton-judo-club.org.uk/

Maybe this is the wrong place and tell me if so, but im interested in getting into Judo, I have very slight training. Can anyone recommend a dojo in the East Mids (UK). And can somebody show me a list of any upcoming competition and where to watch so I can get myself into it as a sport. Cheers guys, if not the right place feel free to delete this

Maybe this is the wrong place and tell me if so, but im interested in getting into Judo, I have very slight training. Can anyone recommend a dojo in the East Mids (UK). And can somebody show me a list of any upcoming competition and where to watch so I can get myself into it as a sport. Cheers guys, if not the right place feel free to delete this
Use the BJA's club finder tool, simpy put in your location and how far you're willing to travel and it will give you all the clubs in that radius:
https://www.britishjudo.org.uk/club-finder/

East Mids is quite a broad area, Adam who runs Team Red Star near Leicester is good and last time I crossed paths with him he was cross training BJJ, that was 10 years ago so if he's kept it up he's probably really good by now:
https://www.britishjudo.org.uk/club/team-red-star-leicester/

The IJF broadcast all top level international events live on their youtube channel for free. They then make highlight videos and upload them to the same youtube channel.
https://www.youtube.com/user/judo/videos
Example event highlight:

There's also ippon.tv where you can pick your mat cam, bit like the red button for Wimbledon courts, and see how the brackets are evolving etc...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
notnormal
Back