Official Judo Thread

Is Teddy now the Mayweather of judo? He can get away with so much.

About 1:00 onward.

Funny story, one of guys I used to train with was a decent level competitor in France, at heavyweight, and was at a training camp with Teddy Riner and they all lined up to do the bowing off at the end of the session and the red and white belt, who was the old man of the camp, starts giving his speech about the values of Judo or whatever and Teddy just interrupts him and calls the rei, ending the session, the whole mat bows, completely ignoring the old boy red and white belt, and starts streaming off.

Within seconds pretty much everyone is off the mat and the old boy is left flapping his gills. Teddy gives zero fucks and just bowls off back to the changing room, with everyone else.

oh hey look i found a highlight reel of that match

giphy.gif

Judo no longer exist. What you have is something created by a so called IJF looks like a joke not sure how to call that sport

Not much to add I thought it was pretty clear. You need all the details? When Suzuki lost the Olympics with a leg grabbing technique? And a year later leg grabs were banned? Lol what a F* joke of a sport.. politics and cowards everywhere

Well, Ono is back on top. It is crazy to see a guy so inactive, prove once again that he is the very best at 73 - and make it look easy.

that bicep grip sode uchimata is sick! it's damn near an arm drag and guarantees they'll be squared up when moving forward.

also, FUCK YES OSOTOGARI

What's a good throw when someone stiff arm lapel grips you?

My BJJ gym's go-to defense against me is to stiff arm the shit out of me, I know that the best defense against that is to not allow them to get that grip in the first place, but sometimes they still latch on and I'm trying to figure out my options.

Last edited:
Breaking stiff arms is a technique that you learn as you practice judo. Stiff arms is not a defense against experienced judoka. On contrary, throws are much easier if opponent is stiff arming. This is difficult to explain in writing.

Tomoe nage might be the easiest one to throw without need to break the stiff arms. Seoi nage is another easy option when you step back with one foot to break grip on one side first, and then turn into the throw when opponent has only one grip on you.

My BJJ gym's go-to defense against me is to stiff arm the shit out of me, I know that the best defense against that is to not allow them to get that grip in the first place, but sometimes they still latch on and I'm trying to figure out my options.

It takes time to learn (quite a long time) but the answer to a problem in Judo is not specifically a named end technique. Each technique has some conditions that make it work. If you know how to set up conditions then you can make any technique work.

Okay that's not so helpful is it? Well we all know tomoenage is often used against the BJJ stance, but how good are you going to be with it? How do you get in before uke drops? When do you do regular vs yoko tomoe? What about someone waiting to leg grab?

No need to answer. The point is that a good tomoe requires the same kuzushi/control as other throws do, along with use of misdirection and momentum, meaning you still have to solve the stiff arm problem.

Anyway, step one is to not go directly against the stiff arm. Notice when you stand off a bit to the side his stiff arm is actually weak due to leverage. If you stand straight on it's tough. Of course he's going to be constantly adjusting so the real skill to develop in Judo is how to use movement and other skills to open up uke. That's too much to talk about.

By all means though, try tomoenage and see if you run into issues. Also do it on someone who knows how to fall and won't face plant.

Well, I should have clarified that it's actually my head BJJ coach whose stiff arm I really can't beat.

Everyone else in BJJ stiff arms me as well, but its the head coach's stiff arm that I'm having the most trouble with, as most of the others I'm able to either break, or throw anyway. Coach has an iron grip.

I was thinking of just pivoting off of the center line facing outside and turning into an o soto otoshi. If not, I'll try tomoe nage (yoko's my favorite).

But yeah, you're right. I suppose this is really hard to explain. It'll just take time, feeling, and practice.

Next year there will be Tokyo Olympic games; I don't know who will represent Japan in the over 100 kg division.
It reminds me 15 years ago (Athens Olympic games), the bad decision made in Japan about the under 100 and over 100 kg divisions.
In the U100 kg they put Kosei Inoue, who wasn't anymore in his prime (aging, he tore his chest muscle, had hand issues, a knee surgery), in fact he lost in the quarter finals.
In the O100 they put Keiji Suzuki, making him gaining some weight. He was smaller than his opponents, but won the gold medal.
In my opinion it has been a very bad decision. On 29 April 2004, All Japan judo championships were held and Suzuki gained the 1st place. Inoue was the 2nd place and Muneta the 3rd.
So, in my opinion, Suzuki had to be selected fot the U100 categoty (he was 24 years old, in his prime, in his natural weight, national champion, several international titles, Asian champion, one year before he won the open World championship); surely he would have dominated his opponents.
And, in the O100, AJJF should had selected Yasuyuki Muneta. Muneta was in his prime, same record of Suzuki; surely he would have defeated everybody in the O100. Too bad he was never selected in any O.G.

Here's what the official judo youtube page has as the top 20 ippons. What were your favourites from the video? I liked the #3 one (Maruyama at 3:52). I can't say I've seen someone immediate step over into the juji like that from uchimata before.

Ono finishing all the matches was epic. I wish he could go to aka and become Khabib 2.0

Back