Official Judo Thread

YAAAAAAAASSSSSSSS

THE KING HAS FALLEN!!

so we can have leg grabs back now, right?

YAAAAAAAASSSSSSSS

THE KING HAS FALLEN!!

so we can have leg grabs back now, right?

I was going to be all like, "He didn't even need your precious leg grabs". Then I read the last line you wrote.

3os7d9.jpg

Came here to witness RJ’s schadenfreude, was not disappointed.

I know Basile is an Olympic Champion (albeit, was a little lucky imo); why try to uchi-mata the king of uchi-mata with the most telegraphed set-up there is? You don't start jerkng the gi around if you're not going to try and rotate.. but an uchi-mata? Ono was not impressed by his bs

I know Basile is an Olympic Champion (albeit, was a little lucky imo); why try to uchi-mata the king of uchi-mata with the most telegraphed set-up there is? You don't start jerkng the gi around if you're not going to try and rotate.. but an uchi-mata? Ono was not impressed by his bs

Basile looked frustrated to me.

Also a very, very weak ippon.

Basile looked frustrated to me.

Also a very, very weak ippon.
I am okay with the ippon score; there have definitely been far weaker ippons. Basile appeared (and sounded) to have landed with some force.

But yeah, he wasn't going to win any gripping battle with Ono. Nobody really does. It would be amazing if he were to get another olympic gold this year, which is very probable.

I am okay with the ippon score; there have definitely been far weaker ippons. Basile appeared (and sounded) to have landed with some force.
I have to disagree guys. It looked very much to me like he stepped off the leg, Basile spun back around as a result and they fell together. Poor ippon
But yeah, he wasn't going to win any gripping battle with Ono. Nobody really does. It would be amazing if he were to get another olympic gold this year, which is very probable.

It is not spectacular, but it is a very well performed uchi mata sukashi.

landed clean on his back with force. the fact that it was a redirection of his own force should almost count for extra.
I have to disagree guys. It looked to me very much like Ono stepped off the leg, Basile spun back around as a result and they fell a very short distance together. Impressive defense to the uchi mata, but poor ippon call.

it was about as clean as an uchi mata sukashi can get. basile didnt spin around on his own volition, that would make absolutely no sense. he was rotated because of onos grips. this is exactly how direct throw counters work. that gets scored an ippon by a good ref 100% of the time.

No chance mate. Ono got a soft ippon by defending and landing on Basile, from a short distance off the mat.

Hey, if you go on JudoFanatics.com and use the code FARIAFREE you can get any instructional set for free. I have no idea how long this lasts for. It also works at BJJFanatics for Bernardo Faria's sets as well as apparently at fanaticwrestling.com

I realize that there's a thread on this already but it only mentioned the BJJ Fanatics part, and I figured other judoka would be more likely to see it if I posted it here.

My view is that if it requires a good and skilled ref to call an ippon, then it shouldn’t be an ippon. Ippon should be a combative success, not a sport technicality.

An ippon isn’t some esoteric scenario, it’s when you take the guy down hard, with control, flat, and maintain control upon impact. If it’s not completely obvious to anyone, it shouldn’t be ippon. Way too many super soft ippons get called. Rolling ippons are the worst.

You know what's funny is that ippons were lessened so that matches could be shorter and 'better' for TV. Ok, but now we are in the internet age... how about just have 20 min matches again and edit your videos!!!

My view is that if it requires a good and skilled ref to call an ippon, then it shouldn’t be an ippon.
the sport would have no consistency, and probably would not satisfy rule requirements for the olympics.

the sport would have no consistency, and probably would not satisfy rule requirements for the olympics.

Why would it have no consistency? It would have more consistency than the present regime of calling super soft ippons. Rolling ippons in particular are just the worst. You are calling ‘ippon’ based on minute adjustments made centimeters above the mat that do not result in a controlled and dominant position. My entire point is that nobody should be confused about ippon.. the model should be cratering somebody with osoto, not rolling together in a flopping snarl with no control and having a ref then explain that actually player A achieved complete victory over player B.

A child should be able to easily spot it, just as a child should be able to easily spot somebody getting KO’d. It’s not supposed to be some esoteric and confusing thing that’s hard to figure out.

Why would it have no consistency? It would have more consistency than the present regime of calling super soft ippons. Rolling ippons in particular are just the worst. You are calling ‘ippon’ based on minute adjustments made centimeters above the mat that do not result in a controlled and dominant position. My entire point is that nobody should be confused about ippon.. the model should be cratering somebody with osoto, not rolling together in a flopping snarl with no control and having a ref then explain that actually player A achieved complete victory over player B.

A child should be able to easily spot it, just as a child should be able to easily spot somebody getting KO’d. It’s not supposed to be some esoteric and confusing thing that’s hard to figure out.
what if you get cratered onto your side? i think a lot of casual viewers would call that a kill shot. would you call that an ippon?

There still needs to be clearly defined rules other than 'oh that looked powerful'. and with the rules come the need for qualified officiating.

Personally I would like to see ippon called for throws done in a single clean motion. So no rollovers, hopping finishes, dragdowns, low amplitude, or resistance then keeling over. It should look like a kill on concrete.

Back